Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

It has been on my mind as to whether the insane amount of media coverage this week has been healthy – so glad Kane Cornes asked this question straight off the bat. But in reality we just have too much to play for to let our focus slide for even a minute. So the fact each week is a final is a very, very good thing in that regard, and think the added attention will only generate a bit of extra buzz around the club – the perfect preparation for September (this year or next)

Last edited:

It has been on my mind as to whether the insane amount of media coverage this week has been healthy – so glad Kane Cornes asked this question straight off the bat. But in reality we just have too much to play for to let our focus slide for even a minute. So the fact each week is a final is a very, very good thing in that regard, and think the added attention will only generate a bit of extra buzz around the club – the perfect preparation for September (this year or next)

Probably a good experience for the squad. The media focus will be the same come our next time for finals, grand finals etc. Good time now to get the kids used to the spotlight.

Probably a good experience for the squad. The media focus will be the same come our next time for finals, grand finals etc. Good time now to get the kids used to the spotlight.
That's the thing, we keep winning, that attention is going to grow and grow. Can't be helped, may as well get used to it as best we can.

If it happens and they lose focus it's better to have our pants pulled down now than in a win or go home final.

Think of before the three peat - miss finals, elimination final loss, prelim loss by a few points, GF loss by a few rrsy goals and our poor kicking, it generally takes heart-ache to build the resilience and drive.

2007 is a classic example, great come from behind win against crows, everyone is up and about, next week, pants pulled down by norf because we lost focus when they went the niggle (as they always did) and we got sucked in.

If it happens and they lose focus it's better to have our pants pulled down now than in a win or go home final.

Think of before the three peat - miss finals, elimination final loss, prelim loss by a few points, GF loss by a few rrsy goals and our poor kicking, it generally takes heart-ache to build the resilience and drive.

2007 is a classic example, great come from behind win against crows, everyone is up and about, next week, pants pulled down by norf because we lost focus when they went the niggle (as they always did) and we got sucked in.
You seem to be contradicting yourself here.

Get a double chance…get pants pulled down there

I’m reminded that up till last year, eventual prelim finalists GWS and carlton hadn’t beaten anyone of note and only got into the eight around 16 - 18 games in

I wonder if the whole playing with flair and personality/letting the players be themselves etc thing was something Sammy planned as he came into the role, or he’s just run with it as it’s happened?

I wonder if the whole playing with flair and personality/letting the players be themselves etc thing was something Sammy planned as he came into the role, or he’s just run with it as it’s happened?
Planned from the start, you can see early interviews from 2022 with wins over Port. When questioned about long sleeves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their big 'catch' are the two premiership captains. But they're also 2 players who are universally disliked outside of their own fanbases.

As am example, if you had Hodge and Judd it would be received far more favourably.
Seems legit. 🙄

Who do you work for - the Bureau of Statistics?

The reason they don’t work well is because they’re introverts.

Last edited:

Absolutely it's a good experience - the hype, the scrutiny, the expectations. Regardless of the result this weekend it's all a learning experience for the younger guys.

Seems legit. 🙄

Who do you work for - the Bureau of Statistics?

The reason they don’t work well is because they’re introverts.

Would you say that Trent Cotchin and Joel Selwood are popular footballers outside of Richmond and Geelong supporters? Joel was respected for his courage but also the cause of immense frustration for his entire playing career due to the arm raise.

Clean cut Cotchin also came across as a bit boring, and then he and his wife put their foot in it during Covid and showed that they're quite tone deaf.

Current captains such as Cripps, Bont, Merrett and Gawn are players who I'd argue have universal appeal. If Talking Footy starred any combination of those players in their post career I'd wager that it would be more popular and watchable.

Their big 'catch' are the two premiership captains. But they're also 2 players who are universally disliked outside of their own fanbases.

As am example, if you had Hodge and Judd it would be received far more favourably.

Who dislikes Cotchin?

And as much as people on here don't want to read about it: Selwood is extremely well respected throughout all clubs and is a quality individual.

He may speak like he's been lobotomised at times, but I like that he remains positive and upbeat in general.

Current captains such as Cripps, Bont, Merrett and Gawn are players who I'd argue have universal appeal

Cripps lost me with his thug behaviour and bullshit exoneration and undeserving Brownlow. And I can’t ever respect anyone who plays for the drug pigs.

Cotch and Selwood aren't natural presenters but tbf someone like Matthew Lloyd circa 2010 was pretty awkward in the media but nowadays I rate his commentary (even if I wasn't a fan on the field), they might get better

also they are not 'universally disliked' lol

I don't think that's fair on Cotchin, and I would argue Judd is more disliked than he is.

My only issue with Selwood is that he's just not a great talker, I don't really like listening to him. That goes for Hodge too but perhaps not quite as bad. Betts is possibly one of the most lovable blokes in footy but he's a genuinely tough listen most of the time he's on broadcast. On the flip side I hated Lloyd as a player but he's a fantastic panellist, and Jack Riewoldt was unbearable on the field and he may be my favourite new special comments guy.

Don't think likeability or unlikeability as a player makes a difference to most.

Last edited:
I don't think that's fair on Cotchin, and I would argue Judd is more disliked than he is.

My only issue with Selwood is that he's just not a great talker, I don't really like listening to him. That goes for Hodge too but perhaps not quite as bad. Betts is possibly one of the most lovable blokes in footy but he's a genuinely tough listen most of the time he's on broadcast. On the flip side I hated Lloyd as a player but he's a fantastic panellist, and Jack Riewoldt was unbearable on the field and he may be my favourite new special comments guy.

Don't think likeability or unlikeability as a player makes a difference to most.
Agree on Jack Riewoldt. Very easy to listen to and articulate.

Would you say that Trent Cotchin and Joel Selwood are popular footballers outside of Richmond and Geelong supporters? Joel was respected for his courage but also the cause of immense frustration for his entire playing career due to the arm raise.

Clean cut Cotchin also came across as a bit boring, and then he and his wife put their foot in it during Covid and showed that they're quite tone deaf.

Current captains such as Cripps, Bont, Merrett and Gawn are players who I'd argue have universal appeal. If Talking Footy starred any combination of those players in their post career I'd wager that it would be more popular and watchable.
You said they were both “ universally hated”.

I’ve got no idea what the majority of the football following public think, but I like them both and I’ve only ever supported Hawthorn. 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back