Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

You are entitled to an opinion. One day you will figure out that not everything that happens on the field is directly influenced by the coach. Do they mention that at Auskick?

Your only response has been Auskick, which is pretty poor. Not one of my points about Sando being outcoached in the first half of the Saints game, the majority of the North game and the Freo game has been countered by anything you have actually observed or thought of. You have not offered one contribution other than to have a crack at me. You refuse to discuss the points I bring up and instead throw out terms like 'Armchair expert'. You have not given one counter argument to anything I have said, other than being a precious little bitch about Sando. You are a complete waste of space on this forum.

You are correct that I am entitled to an opinion. I just wish you could offer a constructive opinion on anything other than calling our players lazy.

I do understand that not everything that happens on the field is directly influenced by the coach. I just want to politely remind you that this thread is about Sando's coaching (that should give you a small hint as to why I am posting about Sando's coaching deficiencies in this thread).

So perhaps you should watch each of our games 2-3 times so you can see the bigger picture rather than just blaming our losses on one Reilly turnover.

I also don't rate his succession planning or junior development.

This is the only point I'll query since it's always used in debates - but Lyon has been happy to play youngsters and keep them in for as long as form permits. Neale played a chunk of last season until he did his ankle (twice), Mellington until he did his hammy, Sutcliffe has been flicking between sub and full game time since the end of last season, Crozier has been starting to impact up forward even though he's a twig, we'll see Michie debut soon, Tanner Smith was given a go. Our player development for the younger guys has always been good - I would suggest that the issue at the Saints was as much cattle as anything else. Lyon has shown a willingness to drop starting 22 players if they aren't performing, and regularly promotes players who are performing in the 2nds or when an opportunity presents. Seems a clear system - 'work your way in, work your way out'

Are you coming off your medication or something?

You made some observations on the game, goodo for you.

Had the players not been so wasteful in front of goal, we would have won the game and some arse clown on the Freo board would have been bitching about Lyons coaching.

You can have a crack at Craigy for many things, but this isn't one of them...

Have a look back at the 2006 / 2009 seasons to be proven completely wrong.

I'd say that Craig pioneered the modern press which is, in many ways, a type of defensive grid. This was ripped off by a bunch of other coaches including Lyon. So while the Crows we're capable of playing attacking footy under Craig, I'd say his gameplan revolved around team defence.

I was also talking about his rigidity when it came to structures on game day. Craig placed so much faith in his defensive structures and was way too stubborn to revert to a plan B. His entire methodology failed massively when he lost his core of experienced players.

Game decided by bounces of the ball, hardly a coaching loss. Freo a very good side. People read too much into too little.
That's easy to say.. but not entirely true.

Freo got a very high proportion of their goals from cheap kicks when the ball got behind the marking contest. Even a school grade coach knows to keep a player behind the contest, to prevent the opposition scoring in just this manner. Had we done so, we would have won by 4 or 5 goals. If our players could actually kick straight, then it should have been 7 or 8 goals. Combine the two failures and we lose by 7 points..

That's easy to say.. but not entirely true.

Freo got a very high proportion of their goals from cheap kicks when the ball got behind the marking contest. Even a school grade coach knows to keep a player behind the contest, to prevent the opposition scoring in just this manner. Had we done so, we would have won by 4 or 5 goals. If our players could actually kick straight, then it should have been 7 or 8 goals. Combine the two failures and we lose by 7 points..

Easy to say......

I didn't think we were too bad today.

Rory Laird is a gun.
We were not that great either - just not good enough. If we were a serious contender, we would account for Freo at home. They were more desperate for most of the game & we had too many passengers.

Agree on Laird comment though. Has gone past Brown & has more strings to his bow too.

Its easier to say 'its the bounce of the ball'. Its even easier to blame the umpires or Brent Reilly.

We made some serious coaching blunders today, which combined with player errors (kicking for goal) resulted in a loss.

Way too harsh. We hit the front after being gone for all money and only just missed out. Free are a very good side.

No doubt Sando has much to learn, but our boys are playing for him, nd that's a very solid base to work from.

Way too harsh. We hit the front after being gone for all money and only just missed out. Free are a very good side.

No doubt Sando has much to learn, but our boys are playing for him, nd that's a very solid base to work from.

I just posted this in another thread.... We are 5-5. The teams we have beaten have a combined record of 10-37. The teams we have beaten sit at the following positions on the ladder #18, #16, #15, #14, #13.....

Sando has a hell of a lot to learn...... We need Dean Bailey quickly or else this season is going to get bloody ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to say......
If it happened once, or twice, then it would be forgivable. Freo probably got half their score this way - we let them do it to us time and time and time again. Sando made a grade school coaching error and failed to fix it after it cost us multiple goals. There's no other way to view it than as a massive coaching blunder.

I just posted this in another thread.... We are 5-5. The teams we have beaten have a combined record of 10-37. The teams we have beaten sit at the following positions on the ladder #18, #16, #15, #14, #13.....

Sando has a hell of a lot to learn...... We need Dean Bailey quickly or else this season is going to get bloody ugly.

And I posted this earlier re Bailey.

Hopefully he can get our blokes to keep their feet, hit a target, improve goal kicking accuracy, tackle correctly, win some clearances, shake tags, win some ruck contests, reduce clangers, prevent turnovers, improve disposal and fix Reilly's brain.

We were out coached today, but not the 1st time Lyon has out coached a team. Wish we made more moves today .... but can't blame the coach for dumb decision making & disposal, which was our key problem today.

It's not about this season. Talk again in two years ;)

And I posted this earlier re Bailey.

Hopefully he can get our blokes to keep their feet, hit a target, improve goal kicking accuracy, tackle correctly, win some clearances, shake tags, win some ruck contests, reduce clangers, prevent turnovers, improve disposal and fix Reilly's brain.

Now we are getting are somewhere my simple friend.

Every single one of those things you suggested are directly player related. They can be coached to a degree during the week, but once the game starts Sando has limited influence over them.

Therefore the things you mention are more player related than coaching related. For a simpleton such as yourself they are easy to identify because you can simply see an error and point it out.

Now the things I mention are directly related to Sanderson gameday coaching. Things like how we line up at the starts of quarters, allowing loose men to sit inside 50 all day, and use of the our sub (too late and took the wrong player off). These are a little tougher to identify because you need to stop your witch hunt on scapegoats and actually focus on what is happening in the game.....

Now the things you mentioned no doubt were partly to blame to for our lose tonight. They are some of the very obvious reasons for our loss that could be pointed out by a 3 year old chimpanzee. Unfortunately for you, this is a thread about whether Sando is a genius or mad as a hatter. The points I have raised about Sando are a direct response to this thread in that I think Sando's coaching this year has been mad as a hatter (and not in a good way).

We were not that great either - just not good enough. If we were a serious contender, we would account for Freo at home. They were more desperate for most of the game & we had too many passengers.

I don't think there was that much between the two sides today. I certainly don't think Freo were more desperate.

We made a couple of tactical blunders but on the whole, that performance would have beaten most sides. Freo are a good team.

We were out coached today, but not the 1st time Lyon has out coached a team. Wish we made more moves today .... but can't blame the coach for dumb decision making & disposal, which was our key problem today.

I don't think it was Sandersons best day as a coach by any stretch. He may well have been out coached even. But to constantly read from the same people over and over again, every single time we are being beaten that its the coaches fault is beyond annoying. Its the simplest and most popular way of trying to convince yourself and others that you know whats going on. As you rightly say, it was one factor in many today.

It's not about this season. Talk again in two years ;)

I realise that we are no hope of a flag this year and that 2013 is a learning season. I also understand that Sando is looking to be our coach 'as far as the eye can see' ;)

However, the only thing we can assess with regards to Sando's coaching is the last 35 AFL games, with the last 10 being the most relevant.

His gameday coaching without Bailey has left a lot to be desired. He needs to vastly improve on this for us to be the powerhouse you wish to talk about in two years.

Now we are getting are somewhere my simple friend.

Every single one of those things you suggested are directly player related. They can be coached to a degree during the week, but once the game starts Sando has limited influence over them.

Therefore the things you mention are more player related than coaching related. For a simpleton such as yourself they are easy to identify because you can simply see an error and point it out.

Now the things I mention are directly related to Sanderson gameday coaching. Things like how we line up at the starts of quarters, allowing loose men to sit inside 50 all day, and use of the our sub (too late and took the wrong player off). These are a little tougher to identify because you need to stop your witch hunt on scapegoats and actually focus on what is happening in the game.....

Now the things you mentioned no doubt were partly to blame to for our lose tonight. They are some of the very obvious reasons for our loss that could be pointed out by a 3 year old chimpanzee. Unfortunately for you, this is a thread about whether Sando is a genius or mad as a hatter. The points I have raised about Sando are a direct response to this thread in that I think Sando's coaching this year has been mad as a hatter (and not in a good way).

The points I raised happened, the points you raised are your own interpretations of events. If you could fall out of love with yourself for 30 seconds you might catch on.

(You do love reading your own posts dont you? Quantity is not always quality.)

I don't think it was Sandersons best day as a coach by any stretch. He may well have been out coached even. But to constantly read from the same people over and over again, every single time we are being beaten that its the coaches fault is beyond annoying. Its the simplest and most popular way of trying to convince yourself and others that you know whats going on. As you rightly say, it was one factor in many today.

You idiot. This is a thread about Sando's coaching..... What else do you want to discuss in this thread?

And you pull out the fact that you have to constantly read about it from the same people is just bullshit. Its me. I have had a problem with Sando's coaching in the 1st half of the Saints game, the North game and the Freo game.

Ain't a genius if we keep a structure of 3 talls down back no matter the opposition or the conditions

It was pretty frustrating, I kept asking myself which one to move. If it were me, Id have subbed Jacobs and sent JJ to the ruck. Who knows if it would have made any difference.

Edit: Ooops, I thought we were to tall up forward too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando is either a freaking genius or mad as a hatter!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back