Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
So here we are...on the verge of a massive opportunity to contest a finals series which has imo opened right up.

Pretty hard to change the team that smashed Carlton by 72 points in the fight for 5th.

However, there is a strong chance Robert Shirley will be available, and more importantly, a small chance that Nathan Bock will be able to resume.

Conversely, David Mackay and Nathan van Berlo are both under what appear to be minor injury concerns.

Of the other present 22 players, James Sellar had his best performance (while admittedly struggling to get many taps in limited ruck time), Brad Symes was sensational, Reilly a little quiet (surely not another selection heartbreak for him?), Burton and Hentschel not dominant but had excellent cameos, Stevens not spectacular but a solid fixture, Otten regaining touch, Dangerfield phenomenal around the packs and will be a major asset in finals...i seriously have no clue who would miss out:confused:

In the SANFL Jon Griffin has likely removed his name from the whiteboard due another injury while Phil Davis and Rory Sloane are probably the best performing tall and short rookie options respectively. Richard Douglas has also kept his name in the mix with encouraging reports regarding his game for Glenelg.

It's obviously conjecture based on injuries at present but how do we see the various selection contingencies for this huge match?

Im told back spasms could be nothing, but they could equally be career threatning, so i'll be waiting to see vB's prognosis.

Mackay came back on after he had his ankle restrapped and seemed ok, no that that means aything, but i'm hopefull he'll be fine as he has had his fair share of bad luck for one career.

Shirley/Bock might make selection interesting, but I doubt either will be fit.

personally i would let bock rest another week, and if mackay or VB aint 100 percent then give sloane or doug another run..

nothing agianst the bombers, and deff not being cocky after the last few years, but its a game we should win, our boys are on fire, and we have seen what playing injuryed players in finals can do.

i just think a weeks rest for the really really sore boys will give us a better chance the week after should we get up

GO CROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO unchanged if VB and Mackay come up, I think Bock can be given another week to be absolutely cherry ripe for a semi final.

Who comes out for him................selectors get paid the dollars to make that call:p

IMO unchanged if VB and Mackay come up, I think Bock can be given another week to be absolutely cherry ripe for a semi final.

Who comes out for him................selectors get paid the dollars to make that call:p

HAHAHA and its a good thing they do!!! i reakon as u said he should be cheery ripe with another week and half off

Assuming that VB & Mackay pull up OK, then there's a good chance that we'll go into the final unchanged. I can't see Davis or Sloane forcing their way into the side at present, unless injuries open a path for them.

If VB and/or Mackay don't make it, then it gets a little more interesting. I'd assume that the pecking order would be Shirley then Douglas, assuming Shirley is over his injury problems. Naturally, a fit Chicken Man would be ahead of both of them.

Bock is an automatic inclusion IF he passes the fitness test, which is by no means certain. Once he's done that though, I don't see any point in giving him "an extra weeks rest" - he's either fit enough to play (in which case he plays) or he's not (in which case he doesn't).

The only question then is who drops out if Bock comes in? For purposes of balance, I'd prefer it to be one of our talls. One almighty hanger aside, Burton did stuff all on the weekend - then again, he did nothing in his first game back last time and exploded in his second. Hentschel was very quiet in the first half when the game was there to be won, only really coming into things in the second half as the Blues capitulated. Normally, I'd be predicting that Symes would drop out - but I've got a feeling it might be Reilly, who was another to have a quiet weekend against the Blues.

Normally, I'd be predicting that Symes would drop out - but I've got a feeling it might be Reilly, who was another to have a quiet weekend against the Blues.

That would be ridiculously harsh given how good Reilly has been over recent weeks.

I'm confident VB and Mackay will pull up. No Changes.

EDIT: the way his Heel is going, I doubt Bock will be ready for this final. Besides, against the Essendon seconds side, I doubt NC would be in a hurry to bgin him back. Much rather have him rest until the second final against Saints or Pies (counting my chickens I know, but I'm pretty confident :D)

If Bock ready: Hentschel out, Bock in. See you next year Hentschel, now that we know you can still play a little, you can have Stevens spot next year.

Vader already stated the pecking order for smalls which I agree with.

If Bock is 100%, there will be one very unlucky player.

I don't believe Shirley will see games unless an injury occurs.

If/when Moran is fit, Jimmy could be very unlucky, given his improvement.

I think VB and D Mac will be fine.

Agree with Vader that Reilly could be the unlucky one.

My head says so be it but my heart wants Bock to miss just one more as he shouldn't be needed to make the difference this week and it would be a cruel stroke of fortune for Reilly to miss another final like this.

Having said that, Symes jumped him in the pecking order last week and must stay in. Seemingly is a performer when the stakes are higher. Can't undervalue this commodity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that Shirley was a few weeks off resuming. Hope VB and Mackay are good to go as we will miss them. If not I guess Douglas and Sloane to replace.

The club (apparently) use the 3 week rolling form on players, though RIelly wasn't great, it would be very very harsh.

Though it could come down to Reilly, Symes, Stevo. All three would be real harsh. Symes goes under the LIFO method, but was very good Saturday.

Does the club value foot skills or hard ball more?

That would be ridiculously harsh given how good Reilly has been over recent weeks.
Yeah you're right, if Bocky's ready to come in then Thommo, Vince or Macca should make way for him rather than Reilly :rolleyes: I've honestly never come across a player who has as much fantasy based nonsense written about him as Reilly. How good he's been in recent weeks? He had 7 touches in a 70 point drubbing on the weekend. He played 2 really good games (the sort of games he should play on a consistent basis) a month ago and since then has reverted to the unremarkable Brent Reilly that has minimal effect on games that he's been for the majority of his career. Make no mistake, on current form he would be one of the first players considered to be dropped if Bock is ready to come back.

Reilly wouldn't be dropped for bock, that would mess up the structure. Stevo wouldn't play on the wing...
it's like dropping tippett for bock. Structurally, it doesn't make sense.

Had a feeling his name would come up this week. Just a question though about his game against Carlton. Was anyone there that may have noticed as to whether he had a tagging role? I note he had 90% TOG, and I find it almost unbelievable that he would have so few possessions when the side had it so much if he was running free. Its also seems strange he would be left on the ground for such a large portion of the game if he was not contributing in some meaningful way.

My guess is that possibly he was tagging Marc Murphy????? Although nothing was mentioned of this match up on the TV. If anyone could clarify I would be grateful.

The club (apparently) use the 3 week rolling form on players, though RIelly wasn't great, it would be very very harsh.

Though it could come down to Reilly, Symes, Stevo. All three would be real harsh. Symes goes under the LIFO method, but was very good Saturday.

If this is another dig at Brad Symes all should note his disposal efficiency was 89% on Saturday. Of players who had plenty of it, only McKay was better with 90%. What should not be underestimated is Symes run and carry and his capacity to be in the right place at the right time as a running link player. No way in the world will he be making way for anyone.

If this is another dig at Brad Symes all should note his disposal efficiency was 89% on Saturday. Of players who had plenty of it, only McKay was better with 90%. What should not be underestimated is Symes run and carry and his capacity to be in the right place at the right time as a running link player. No way in the world will he be making way for anyone.
Please note I've been as strong a Symes supporter as they come.

Though It must be noted that if you had to pick holes in a zone you'd back Rielly by foot.

Symes run and carry was very good on Saturday, yes.

I guess that has to be a question of balance. Both players are exceptional in either area and have worked hard to be passable in the other.

Pretty hard to argue with Symes last performance though and Stevens is one of those players i just cannot see being dropped (if a tall goes i think Burton or Hentschel would go first, probably Trent).

Structurally i think we can bring in Bock, Otten to a running role (don't forget Bock isn't exactly immobile either!), and probably Reilly out.

In terms of hardness, if vB or Mackay are out and Bock is still out, i hope we take a punt on Sloane this week.

if VB is injured ... shirley comes in imho. shirley is automatic if craig feels we need a tagger which might not be important for essendon, but will be for collingwood, geelong, saints.

for essondon, we might need a bit more pace so i think maybe dougy gets in if vb is injured.

You make some excellent points Peter J but put your selectors hat on...if Bock is fit what do you do?
Incredibly tough call....far easier to blog and criticise others if they get it wrong!

If I had to make a call, subject to a possible explanation on Reilly's game last saturday ie was he tagging, I would have to say Bock for Reilly.

Have a feeling though he wont come up. Dougals has kept pressure on with a good game for the Bays. I think the more likely switch might be Douglas for VB (forced), with neither of VB, Shirley or Bock fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back