Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a good problem to have, but my god is it a tough choice. Reilly and Symes can provide so much at times, they've both had up and down games.

Both can do defensive or running roles.

Really going to be a hard one if Bock is ready and there are no other outs.

Otten to Reilly's role

I hadn't considered that, that could work nicely.

I would hate to see Reilly go though. That would be grossly unfair.

I just can't make a decision on this. I think it's moot though, I don't think Bock will be fit this weekend.

I just can't make a decision on this. I think it's moot though, I don't think Bock will be fit this weekend.

I agree with all that, particularly the last point.

Hopefully Moran can also come up and play in the SANFL. Though he's up against it to get back into the Crows, we'll need him fit in case of injury now that Griffin is injured. If fit AND in decent form, I'd select him still select him over Sellar (in form I'd select him over Maric!) but Sellar's encouraging form should mean Moran doesn't just waltz in but will have to demonstrate some level of form first.

Symes was great on the weekend and his footskills have been great for weeks now since almost being dropped. No way would he be making way.

I have a feeling we won't see Bock this week either, he still looked a tad sore walking around at the Dome before the game on the weekend. Looked further than a week away. Going to be very very interesting week for selectors ahead. Burton and Potential were both verty quiet on the weekend when the game was there to be won. However both will stay in. Stevens was a bit sus again and some of his decisons to either commit to the player or drop back into space were slow and he often found himself in no mans land. TV didn't really show this it was only at the game I noticed it. Radar is probably the one who would have to be in danger of missing out if someone needs to make way.

Oh and no way will Moran replace Sellar for the rest of the year unless there is an injury or Sellar drops his intensity level and ahs a poor game. Moran was good before he got injured but no way did he become an automatic selection. His form has got better the longer his injury has lasted.

I hadn't considered that, that could work nicely.

Why? He hasn't put his selection absolutely beyond doubt. The AFC is a professional footy club trying to achieve the ultimate success, not a benevolent society.

I agree that it's looking pretty doubtful Bocky will get back this year anyway.

If Bock ready: Hentschel out, Bock in. See you next year Hentschel, now that we know you can still play a little, you can have Stevens spot next year.

Vader already stated the pecking order for smalls which I agree with.

No way you taking the pi$$ he is clearly in the side safe and sound Bock pulled up sore after just running laps last Monday he would be week 3 at the earliest

Moran was good before he got injured but no way did he become an automatic selection. His form has got better the longer his injury has lasted.

He was deservedly our 1R and was certainly an automatic inclusion at the time.

Take a look at his last 2-3 games pre injury, in both areas (rucking AND around the ground) and you will find he was performing quite well (not as good as Sandilands or Clark but the next rung down). Is our most complete ruckman and certainly in our best 22 when fit and firing, which is obviously not the case at present! That's not to say Maric and Sellar haven't been performing well either.

Why? He hasn't put his selection absolutely beyond doubt. The AFC is a professional footy club trying to achieve the ultimate success, not a benevolent society.

I agree that it's looking pretty doubtful Bocky will get back this year anyway.

Granted, he's no goodwin in terms of selection, but his form has been quite good over the past month, barring saturday.

At no point did I say he should be given games out of benevolence, his recent good form has warranted his position in the side. Anyone who plays well enough to warrant their position in the side would be unlucky to get dropped the next week for Bock. If Symes was the bloke in contention, I would be saying the same thing about him.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/83866/default.aspx

Interesting injury updates...

- Shirley a confirmed out.

- Mackay and van Berlo not yet 100% and are no certainties to play just yet.

- Bock a very slim chance of returning this week.

- Moran improving but reading between lines he wont be playing for West this week. Unfortunately it's their last game so he'll need some 'exceptional' training track form to come in for the prelim (yes we'll be there).

- Griffin likely won't play for a while, calf injuries don't heal quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine it'd be Douglas and Sloane. Sloane was the last of our "smalls" to play and showed he has the composure to come in and be more than serviceable at this level. Would add a lot of toughness around the contest which we would lose with VB going out. I gather he was in North's bests again last week.

Would love to see Walker play finals footy but that will disrupt our structure too much I think going into a finals campaign. Plus he hasn't played for a couple of weeks.

Hopefuly both D-Mac and VB are ok though. Two very important players for us.

On another note - caught the Crow jet over to Melbourne for the game on the weekend and Bocky was the hosting player on the flight. While he says he's hopeful of playing I have to say reading between the lines (and watching him walk around) I think it's highly unlikely we'll see him this week.

Fortunately I don't think we need him this week (especially with Lloyd a likely out) but if we win and we're we're going to get over Collingwood or St Kilda we need him back desperately. I really hope we see him back this year.

Tough to talk about dropping Stevens if Bock returns considering his past finals performance.(Some people have short memories)

Hentschel too "footy smart" to drop from finals.He can play anywhere when needed. In the past we haven`t been blessed with smart thinkers when things are tough. I think that has changed this year but need to keep that in mind.

Do we need to risk including Bock if he has missed a few weeks and could end up sitting out the game.

If fit this week run him in the 2s, then see.

Tough to talk about dropping Stevens if Bock returns considering his past finals performance.(Some people have short memories)

Hentschel too "footy smart" to drop from finals.He can play anywhere when needed. In the past we haven`t been blessed with smart thinkers when things are tough. I think that has changed this year but need to keep that in mind.

Do we need to risk including Bock if he has missed a few weeks and could end up sitting out the game.

If fit this week run him in the 2s, then see.

If Bock comes in, this week or later, based on current form I'd have to say he replaces Stevens.

Henschell has shown how smart a footballer he is. And that he can play both ends. He's a more talented and smarter footballer than Stevens. I dare say a stronger body as well.

I remember Stevo was the only guy to fire a shot against Collingwood last year - but with our best team on the park I'm not sure he holds his spot right now.

Just on Bock, we've heard that they can't give him a painkilling injection because the sore spot is too deep in his foot. Can't they get a longer needle? :p

Apparently the doctor said that they have to inject the needle into the bone to kill the pain, which means the leg would be numb and it wouldn't be able to function properly.

Most interesting one for me was Henderson's hip problem - it explains why his late season output was so far below the potential superstardom he displayed in the first half of the season.

Indeed! I'm seeing him as a perfect replacement for Burton in a couple years, covering plenty of territory in the front half of the ground and terrorising unsuspecting defences.

Im happy to go in unchanged & give bocky i extra week to rest the heal. If we do have to make any forced changes i just hope we pick a team with good leg speed as imho our slow starts are due to our opposition having more run early in games.

ps THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT DUE TO THE BOMBERS BEING BLOODY QUICK!!!

Im happy to go in unchanged & give bocky i extra week to rest the heal. If we do have to make any forced changes i just hope we pick a team with good leg speed as imho our slow starts are due to our opposition having more run early in games.

ps THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT DUE TO THE BOMBERS BEING BLOODY QUICK!!!

They are quick on a smaller ground ala Etihad, but the larger grounds and they really do struggle. Look at both their games in Perth this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back