Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we are, and it's because our midfield is categorically the worst in the league.

Neeld's game plan is not Malthouse's; never has been and never will be - it's only portrayed that way by the football media, half of which have no idea what they're watching tactically.

Yes, but now we are here - and it's clear we are.

What do we have to gain from starting again? I think that Neelds made plenty of 'mistakes' in terms of the short term performance of this club, if we give him a chance maybe they'll prove to help us in the long run.

We've got nothing to gain from starting again, everything to gain from keeping Neeld on.

Half of me agrees with this, but half me knows that only 6-7k of our supporters bothered to turn up yesterday, and it was our home game. The supporters are losing interest in record numbers after years of false dawns.

But the decision needs to be made based on internal factors, and the board must be strong in their decisions. Either sack him now or come out and state that under no circumstances will he be sacked before the end of the season. The board has not publically supported Neeld with any vigour at all. Either they are all in this together or they are not, but the supporters need to know what's going on or many will continue to feel disenfranchised.

Sure we are, and it's because our midfield is categorically the worst in the league.

Neeld's game plan is not Malthouse's; never has been and never will be - it's only portrayed that way by the football media, half of which have no idea what they're watching tactically.

Boot it down the wing, long kick outs, two big forward targets, no corridor use, forward press.

It pretty much is.

Boot it down the wing, long kick outs, two big forward targets, no corridor use, forward press.

It pretty much is.

Firstly, any coach worth his salt uses a forward press these days and all coaches love having forward targets.

Our players are instructed to play on regularly and move the ball quickly with short passing, that's the game plan - mainly down the wings and flanks, but the corridor is allowed.

Booting it long is a get out clause.

At least having an experienced coach that has won a flag who brings in a new team of assistants would put bums on seats. Not to mention would have some pull when it came to trade time, I know personally if I was a good midfielder and Mark Neeld came to me and said 'I want you to come to Melbourne' I would kindly decline, seeing what I have for the past two years just isn't appealing. If I had someone such as Paul Roos, Mark Williams or someone that has had success come and approach me I would be more inclined to listen and take onboard their mentality going forward as a club.

Those are the benefits to putting a new coach in, being fair it has to be an EXPERIENCED coach WITH SUCCESS or none of that works!

For that last part, simply - no.

Choco Williams won't bring any better results, Paul Roos wont - we just don't have the midfield to be anything other then where we are at the moment.

There's potential there, but inexperience and performance is costing us.

We're back to 2009 - Bailey and Hardwick were given their two years grace to shape the list, Neeld should be given that as well.

Yes, it's Neelds 'fault' that we are where we are - but I think where we are (though not as low as currently) is part of his plan after he discovered what was hampering our club.

We've gone backwards and there is no quick fix, unless we are in danger of losing talented players we keep Neeld on.

You, and others, seem to be suggesting that Neeld got us into this mess, so he deserves the opportunity to get us out of it. And, further, that we had no other option but to bottom out so abysmally - it's all part of the plan. I completely disagree with this. Some short term pain, i.e. last season, was acceptable, but getting bent over and pounded for years on end is ridiculous.

Look at Port and the Dogs and how they're coming along. Only time will tell whether what they've put in place will lead to a successful finals team, but they appear to be developing and without being a complete embarassment to their supporters in the process. Do you really think that they've got far superior lists to ours?

The weakness of our midfield keeps being pointed out, but the changes since the team Bailey had are guys like Moloney, Gysberts, Morton and Scully out to be replaced by the likes of M Jones, Viney, Magner, Toumpas/Roden. I don't see how we're so much more inexperienced or lack so much more class than those teams of 2010/11 that it explains going from winning 8.5 games a season with a couple of big blowout losses (ok, 186 was a doozy) to not even getting near any other team bar GWS.

You, and others, seem to be suggesting that Neeld got us into this mess, so he deserves the opportunity to get us out of it. And, further, that we had no other option but to bottom out so abysmally - it's all part of the plan. I completely disagree with this. Some short term pain, i.e. last season, was acceptable, but getting bent over and pounded for years on end is ridiculous.

Look at Port and the Dogs and how they're coming along. Only time will tell whether what they've put in place will lead to a successful finals team, but they appear to be developing and without being a complete embarassment to their supporters in the process. Do you really think that they've got far superior lists to ours?

The weakness of our midfield keeps being pointed out, but the changes since the team Bailey had are guys like Moloney, Gysberts, Morton and Scully out to be replaced by the likes of M Jones, Viney, Magner, Toumpas/Roden. I don't see how we're so much more inexperienced or lack so much more class than those teams of 2010/11 that it explains going from winning 8.5 games a season with a couple of big blowout losses (ok, 186 was a doozy) to not even getting near any other team bar GWS.

Not at all, I think that originally Neeld thought he could get us competitive quickly - when he realised the attitude and leadership void at the club he changed his mind and made some decisions which will set us back (knowingly doing so I might add).

Under Bailey we probably would have come close to finals last year, I'm not sure that Bailey would have ever created a culture for us to be a legitimate contender though (top 2-4).

I think Neeld deserves the same time as Bailey did - this isn't year 6 of a rebuild, this is year 2 of a rebuild.

I think that most people calling for Neelds head are simply impatient (understandably) supporters who can't grasp this reality.

There's some rumor doing the rounds about the board meeting; Neeld out Rawling in - I find it hard to believe as one, surely the meeting wouldn't have finished yet.

Reported by 3AW allegedly, not sure of their news breaking credibility.

What we do know is that Neeld has left the meeting in his car and headed towards AAMI park - reporters ignored completely by him, as I'd expect.

Also that he spent an hour and a half in the meeting instead of his usual 30.

That would make me think he isn't sacked, but that he's been given some pretty strict expectations/guidelines for the rest of the season

Well that's all the proof I need.

No need to be a smart-arse, I've been saying all morning I don't want Neeld gone - a mate told me this stuff so I thought I'd share it.

Though the last part has been verified by the reporters outside AAMI.

No agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading D'land apparently 3AW got the 'scoop' from some bloke on twitter who nobody knows... fair to say we can disregard that, lol.

He has 70k followers somehow/

I just want to know what happened either way! I can't deal with the suspense.

**** you AFL media.

A normal monthly board meetings
PJ gave the very first preliminary recommendations
Neeldy and Craigy reported on 2013 progress...

And a media circlejerk of epic proportions by the usual flipping muppets.

The media have been camped outside the G since 8am, what the **** do they think is going to happen?
This

McLARDY: (holding Neeld's head) Hail, king! for so thou art: behold, where stands
The usurper's cursed head: the time is free:
I see thee compass'd with thy kingdom's pearl,
That speak my salutation in their minds;
Whose voices I desire aloud with mine:
Hail, King of Scotland!
ALL: Hail, King of Scotland!

Yeah, that's why "Neeldy" was there for 3x his usual time.

:confused:

This. Don't feed the trolls. Let them camp outside HQ all day and into the night. Then act surprised when they ask about a routine board meeting tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back