Speculation Shai Bolton [OOC 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Both WA teams are apparently offering 'Dusty level' money to Shai Bolton. Given he's contracted for another four years after 2024, it will take a bold offer from West Coast or Freo to get it done, but I think Richmond would be open to letting him go if the deal accelerated our rebuild significantly.

Here We Go Again GIF

Serious question - do you reckon Bolton is a good fit for a rebuilding team (e.g. West Coast) or a cream on top type of player ?
Would be staggered if WC were interested TBH.

He would be a good fit for Freo but being contracted, his price would be huge.
Think Freo are putting all of their eggs into the Warner basket TBH.

Thing is what would Richmond actually want for him? Good player, would you guys accept a top 10 pick and change?

Last edited:
Both WA teams are apparently offering 'Dusty level' money to Shai Bolton. Given he's contracted for another four years after 2024, it will take a bold offer from West Coast or Freo to get it done, but I think Richmond would be open to letting him go if the deal accelerated our rebuild significantly.
Baker at least has leadership, I'll eat a hat if WC are interested in anyway. Absolute worst player for a rebuilding team to go after for the same reason Richmond fans are turning on him slowly.

I also seriously doubt Freo are willing to pay him more than he's already on, $1m is a good enough wicket for Bolton

Last edited:
Serious question - do you reckon Bolton is a good fit for a rebuilding team (e.g. West Coast) or a cream on top type of player ?
I think he's a much better fit for Freo. If I were in charge of WC I wouldn't be interested, as I don't think they're far enough along in their build. Imo they need to be using their top picks on younger talent.

Their list management team clearly disagree with me though, given they're interested in both Bolton and Baker who aren't going to be bought with second round selections.

Thing is what would Richmond actually want for him? Good player, would you guys accept a top 10 pick and change?
This is where it would be a lot harder for Freo to get a deal done, despite being a better fit.

At a guess I'd say WC's pick 3 could possibly get it done, but Freo would need to find a pick inside the top 10 + another pick in the top 15, possibly more.

If I'm West Coast I'm not doing that deal, but if I'm Freo I probably am because Bolton being the "cherry on top" player really suits them and gives them that offensive weapon they're lacking.

This is where it would be a lot harder for Freo to get a deal done, despite being a better fit.

At a guess I'd say WC's pick 3 could possibly get it done, but Freo would need to find a pick inside the top 10 + another pick in the top 15, possibly more.

If I'm West Coast I'm not doing that deal, but if I'm Freo I probably am because Bolton being the "cherry on top" player really suits them and gives them that offensive weapon they're lacking.

Let's be real, he ain't worth that price.

Not saying Richmond won't ask for that and be resolute that it is the price, but if we were to pay as an example Pick 8, 13 + 3rd rounder i would be pretty disappointed.

His output has been pretty average in recent times.

Let's be real, he ain't worth that price.

Not saying Richmond won't ask for that and be resolute that it is the price, but if we were to pay as an example Pick 8, 13 + 3rd rounder i would be pretty disappointed.

His output has been pretty average in recent times.
If you're wanting to make him your highest paid player and he's contracted until 2028 he absolutely is worth that price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're wanting to make him your highest paid player and he's contracted until 2028 he absolutely is worth that price.

I would doubt anyone actually WANTS to make him their highest paid player, but sometimes that's the price of doing interest.

My point overall is, if that's the price in a trade then i highly doubt a deal would get done.

I would doubt anyone actually WANTS to make him their highest paid player, but sometimes that's the price of doing interest.

My point overall is, if that's the price in a trade then i highly doubt a deal would get done.
I can see a deal getting done. You don't offer a bloke that sort of coin if you're not serious about bringing him in.

If WC or Freo were to get Bolton to commit and request a trade, they wouldn't be looked upon favourably by other players and their managers if they failed to get a deal done and Bolton had to go back to Richmond with his tail between his legs.

"Seventeen clubs would be interested in Shai, wouldn't they?" Livingstone remarked on SEN Sportsday.

"He's a star player, he's loved at our club, and he loves being at our club. He's a contracted player, so I'm not interested in getting involved in that sort of rumour."

When asked directly if Bolton would be traded under any circumstance, Livingstone's response was unequivocal: "Not at all."

Source: https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-shut-down-rumours-of-a-rival-trade-for-contracted-star-151615/

Come on mate, there are enough rumours on players leaving (Baker, Rioli, Martin) and Richmond will have pretty strong draft capital if even one of them materialises. Bolton won't leave, at least this year.

"Seventeen clubs would be interested in Shai, wouldn't they?" Livingstone remarked on SEN Sportsday.

"He's a star player, he's loved at our club, and he loves being at our club. He's a contracted player, so I'm not interested in getting involved in that sort of rumour."

When asked directly if Bolton would be traded under any circumstance, Livingstone's response was unequivocal: "Not at all."

Source: https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-shut-down-rumours-of-a-rival-trade-for-contracted-star-151615/

Come on mate, there are enough rumours on players leaving (Baker, Rioli, Martin) and Richmond will have pretty strong draft capital if even one of them materialises. Bolton won't leave, at least this year.
Yeah and Soldo wasn't going to be traded last year.

Club can't go saying contracted players are up for trade, but if the player pushes hard enough and the deal is right for us then anyone is for sale for the right price.

I get the comments that he doesnt suit WC, but we have seen when played 80/20% as a mid/fwd, he is elite and a match winner. Yze seems to want him more as a forward which in our team right now is starvation corner.

Play him as a mid for WC on the big grounds he will kill it. That said, I believe Freo is a match winner like Shai away from seriously contending.

Given his current contract, a trade would need to be overs IMO.

WC - pick 3 and pick 20ish
Freo - they would need to find a top 10 pick plus a teens pick

Personally I wouldn't trade him unless he demanded it, chances of drafting some one better is slim, but if we could get 2 x 200 gamers with one being an A grade mid who we can rely on week in week out, then its probably more of what we need.

Only if you are picking up some of his contract so it smooths out our cap while we are contend and you are rebuilding. We have plenty of Draft Capital, it can be yours if you pay some of Bolton's contract too.

West Coast will not be chasing Bolton.

Yeah and Soldo wasn't going to be traded last year.

Club can't go saying contracted players are up for trade, but if the player pushes hard enough and the deal is right for us then anyone is for sale for the right price.
It's also a question of leverage - Soldo only had one year left on his contract. There's an incentive for Richmond to trade him because they have no leverage when he's out of contract.

Your second sentence doesn't provide any insight, of course 'anyone is for sale at the right price.' The difference is, Bolton has four more years left on his contract. There's no incentive for Richmond to sell him unless they believe he won't be as valuable next year. That's assuming they don't think he will be part of our rebuild, which is ridiculous given he has at least six years of top-level footy left in him.

Therefore, he isn't going to go unless a club is going to pay significant overs and make a deal Richmond wouldn't refuse. Those deals rarely happen and there's little to suggest that this isn't just more media BS. The Rioli trade is hard enough to believe, and that rumour has a quoted offer associated with it.

I think he's a much better fit for Freo. If I were in charge of WC I wouldn't be interested, as I don't think they're far enough along in their build. Imo they need to be using their top picks on younger talent.

Their list management team clearly disagree with me though, given they're interested in both Bolton and Baker who aren't going to be bought with second round selections.
Seriously doubt that's the case.
In fact would be staggered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back