Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick a percentage that can be agreed upon by the AFL as having ‘significantly contributed’ to the flag. Make it 10 games minimum for all I care. Everyone that heavily contributed deserves one.

I guess the point it, whatever criteria you set is arbitrary. The current criteria is playing in the grand final.

You'll find a lot of players heavily contribute through efforts other than being named to play a game, so no other criteria other than making it for playing in the grand final or including the entire squad makes any sense.

I was the team manager of my footy club's last flag. I'd retired the year before and I was dead keen on getting the medal. One of the players broke their hand in the first final and had to miss, he got a medal. I can tell you that he and I were both stoked to get a medal.

I still have my medal and treasure it.

The way they AFL do it is absolutely laughable.

As if Darcy Fort should be recognised with a medal and Oscar McInerney shouldn’t be.

Connor McKenna? He had a jog around when the game was beyond finished.

Some numpty made a stupid decision decades ago (genuinely, I bet it was to save money before the game had any) and now nuffies think it’s “correct” and “tradition”.

I think yesterday settled the question once and for all. If a club can give two Ron Barassi medals to their Mickey Mouse co-captain team, squad players for the year deserve premiership medals.

Keep it to the 23 that play on the day.

Absolutely its a full squad effort but the squad and support staff can all be recognised in other ways.

I doubt anyone who got a medal for.playing half a dozen games is going to have it hanging up on the wall.

Also I don't think the Barassi Medal adds anything.

The way they AFL do it is absolutely laughable.

As if Darcy Fort should be recognised with a medal and Oscar McInerney shouldn’t be.

Connor McKenna? He had a jog around when the game was beyond finished.

Some numpty made a stupid decision decades ago (genuinely, I bet it was to save money before the game had any) and now nuffies think it’s “correct” and “tradition”.
These are the points which now make me believe they should hand out medals to anyone who played a game during the year. Or for the whole squad, doesn’t matter.
It’s up to each individual as to how you value them.
Just do it AFL.

So Excited Reaction GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back