Should we have a nickname change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Nickname change?

Just another rock and a hard place identity issue given our inability to bring in the greatest guernsey/mascot scheme in the world.

Another animal (Sharks, Dolphins) would've always been viewed by a majority as a poor compromise whereas any one of Power, Pirates or Black Diamonds could be seen as either too abstract, cringeworthy or kitsch depending on the evolution of its branding or lack thereof.

Personally would've preferred Black Diamonds (precedent Urawa Red Diamonds, one of the biggest football clubs in Asia) for the obvious reference and I think it exudes a touch of class, but admittedly it's even harder to logo/brand/visualise than 'Power'.

I believe at the time the name 'Sharks' was discussed but fell through because West Adelaide Hellas were already using that nickname in the NSL.

Similarly the name 'Pirates' was shelved because Port Lion SC were playing in the local Premier League with that nickname.

I'm going on memory here so i could be slightly wrong.

Throw in the East Fremantle Sharks and you have another potential legal issue.

The Brisbane Lions had to do a deal with the Brisbane Lions football/soccer club to get the name, who went from;

BRISBANE LIONS FOOTBALL CLUB to
BRISBANE LIONS SOCCER CLUB and then to
QUEENSLAND LIONS SOCCER CLUB

The Queensland Lions headed the group that won the licence for the Brisbane based A-League team the Queensland Roar which changed its name to Brisbane Roar early last year.

I think in time we will change our nickname the problem is when and what to?

Our prison bar guernsey was unique and such a great guernsey that it appears the board went for something unique but totally different to differenciate the two clubs and the past from the future. Luckily it only took less than a decade and a half to find a near 2nd best possible choice to the PB design.

I think the same thing happened with the nickname and it had to be so different to magpie ie not an bird or animal that the board went with the Power. I'm not sure if we will ever find a clear 2nd best choice with the nickname especially given the legal issues.

Been dead against all the cosmetic changes the club has made over the past few years.

Guernsey, 1870, creed and so on.

Ad-hoc, knee-jerk, even desperate.

Throw in the East Fremantle Sharks and you have another potential legal issue.

IIRC, NRL club Cronulla threatened legal action against the fledgling Crows in late 1990 over the Sharks nickname.

Sharks was bandied around as a possible logo along with the Lakers among others. Back to Cronulla and the parallel is scary...

Broke. Disaffected fans. Share similar colours. Sacked our coach. Prop up the ladder.

MERGE!

Then we can be repped, not just in two national sports comps but three!

Go the PORT ADELAIDE THUNDERSHARKS!

:D

PAFC

Base at Adelaide Oval
Have a Club Pub in Adelaide City

Get rid of Power and be simply 'Port' can also be known as 'the blacks', 'Pirates', 'Buccaneers', 'Raiders' etc with the image
Get rid of Teal and use silver and white vee instead,
or preferably all black with a PAFC over the heart in Boston Red Sox font in white and silver.

Encourage fans to have 'skull and crossbone' flags as a symbol

Great chance to adopt an LA Raiders look and be the AFL's oldest and most 'evil' looking team translating to thousands of kids loving the 'pirate' style look.

With two new teams coming into comp and Port lacking fans it is CRITICAL that PAFC sort out their brand and ensure at least the possibility of fresh new young fans that just 'love the pirate team'.

Power and teal are just simply not PAFC

Power is a great nickname and so appropriate generally for Port Adelaide. After leaving the Magpies behind, no other animal, bird or creature could take it's place. We were THE power club in the SANFL, so it's a good fit.

I reckon power is ok. I would rather see the teal blue changed to green ie the green of Glasgow Celtic, more than changing the nickname. I reckon black, white and green looks slightly more tougher than teal blue. I think Liverpool had an away strip that was black, white and green in the premier league once. Didnt mind that one at all

liverpool-32.jpg

Yuk!!

I reckon power is ok. I would rather see the teal blue changed to green ie the green of Glasgow Celtic, more than changing the nickname. I reckon black, white and green looks slightly more tougher than teal blue. I think Liverpool had an away strip that was black, white and green in the premier league once. Didnt mind that one at all

nwzcp5.png

Blacks!

yes i like that, but im sure the university of adelaide will have a sook like many of them did when we changed our jumper to the BiB. Like we give a **** what a university thinks.

And on the logo, needs a face lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm, royal blue one looks great, dont know if North Melb would approve

Blacks!

yes i like that, but im sure the university of adelaide will have a sook like many of them did when we changed our jumper to the BiB. Like we give a **** what a university thinks.

And on the logo, needs a face lift.

This ex black wont be sooking and I don't think the club would. We could then go the whole hog and pinch the great club song written by ex North Adelaide centreman Dr Fred "Chocka" Bloch.

Not saying everyone at AU sooked but I know that some weren't that happy about us wearing the BiB because of its similarity with the big white V they have

A bit OT but Melbournes new logo:

Apart from the crappy trident thing and the writing in the background, I don't mind it.

Are we going to see more clubs go back to using these type of crests in the near future?

Get the pink back, worked for Palermo in Seria A
The colour choice was suggested by count Giuseppe Airoldi, a prominent founding member of the club. In a letter Airoldi wrote on February 2, 1905 to club councillor Joseph Whitaker, he defined pink and black as "colours of the sad and the sweet", a choice he asserted to be a good fit for a team characterized by "results as up and down as a Swiss clock", noting also the fact that red and blue were a widely diffuse choice of colours at the time.[2]
The Port Adelaide Swiss Clocks?

A bit OT but Melbournes new logo:

Apart from the crappy trident thing and the writing in the background, I don't mind it.

Are we going to see more clubs go back to using these type of crests in the near future?

how come they got something good and we got the work experience kid's first draft.

we have a crest, we could have modernised it to look something like that. The trident was on their pretty famous and popular VFL 70's shield logo, and the codified rules as a water mark are a unique touch.

Lets hope all Clubs go back to that style of logo

You guys have a bad logo aneale, but at least your branding and marketing has been strong and consistent all the way through. We've been all over the place despite what I believe is a fairly good logo, and plenty of history and tradition for the marketing team to get their hands on.

It seems like we're starting to get it right now, but the first decade or so was all over the place.

All the talk of IP and TMs vis-a-vis the mooted Gold Coast Suns and the silver lining arising out of the past experiences of the Fremantle Football Club vs Levi Strauss has led me to think 'Port Adelaide Football Club' known simply as 'Port' in an unofficial sense was the way to go.

The obvious query goes to attracting children and merch, but really, do ThundaPower, the awkward fist/bolt motif on clothing and such really attract anyone to watch us or part with their dough?

All the talk of IP and TMs vis-a-vis the mooted Gold Coast Suns and the silver lining arising out of the past experiences of the Fremantle Football Club vs Levi Strauss has led me to think 'Port Adelaide Football Club' known simply as 'Port' in an unofficial sense was the way to go.

The obvious query goes to attracting children and merch, but really, do ThundaPower, the awkward fist/bolt motif on clothing and such really attract anyone to watch us or part with their dough?

The more I think about it, the more I feel exactly the same.

We went too far away from the Port Adelaide image. We should have kept the prison bar design and just changed it's colours. We should have stayed very close to the old logo, the old club song, everything. Keep it really familiar to keep our strong identity strong.

A lot of people have been burned by a club that markets itself so differently to the club we grew up with and at the same time, plays such a different brand of football.

As i've said, I wish instead of adding a colour, we'd removed one, gone in simply as the Port Adelaide Football Club, with a black on black prison bar guernsey.

blackcharcoalpbs.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have a nickname change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back