Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (10) released 20/8

Season (10) :
• Noah Long (Knee)
• Elijah Hewett (Foot)
• Tyler Brockman (Ankle)
• Callum Jamieson (Ankle/Knee)
• Dom Sheed (Foot/Hamstring)
• Luke Edwards (Concussion)
• Josh Rotham (Abdominal)
• Tom Barrass (Back/Hamstring) - Was 1-2 weeks
• Jeremy McGovern (Thumb) - New
• Jamaine Jones (Concussion) - New

It’s the last game of the season so all players are now listed as out for the season

Chesser and Burgiel have both been removed from the list after recovering from their respective injuries

Andrew Gaff has retired and won’t be available to play

Posted this in the media thread but putting it here as well since there’s some good insight into our injuries and what’s contributing to them

Gee this man is impressive.

Hard to put too much expectation on this year but with an attitude like he’s got, it’s hard to see us languishing down the bottom for too long.

Just a real no nonsense approach that I like - acknowledgement that the last few years have been unacceptable and that we just need to get on with things and improve. Club is in good hands

Hard to put too much expectation on this year but with an attitude like he’s got, it’s hard to see us languishing down the bottom for too long.

Just a real no nonsense approach that I like - acknowledgement that the last few years have been unacceptable and that we just need to get on with things and improve. Club is in good hands

I like how straight forward he is

Actually answered the questions and those he hadn’t formed an opinion on yet (like the WAFL side or the banner/song) he said as much but acknowledged it would be something he’d have to get to

Liked his honesty around the injuries but more importantly his steadfastness that they were inevitable at this time of the year and explained why they were occurring

Can envisage him bringing a lot of energy and a new set of eyes to the club

Yeah in modern world no nonsense expectations means he is likely at some point in time being accused of a bully.

He was speaking about breaking a vertebrae in his back last year against Richmond and it needs ongoing pain management... not great news for him and his family.

7 news reporting injury concerns for barrass.

Was at the gym so couldnt hear what was said and closed captions wasnt on.

West Coast defender Tom Barrass opens up on career-threatening back injury that hinders him still​

West Coast defender Tom Barrass has made the stunning revelation a serious back injury that ended his season last year has left his career on a knife’s edge and that he is lucky not to be wheelchair-bound.
The Eagles star was sidelined after round 18 last year when scans revealed a compressed fracture in his back following a heavy fall against Richmond.

The injury not only ended his 2023 season but has left him with permanent damage that is not only affecting his football but his home life, at just 28 years of age.

“I went up for a mark against Richmond, Jack Riewoldt came back into me and tunnelled me a little bit and I’ve gone over and landed on my neck effectively,” Barrass told 7NEWS.

“It was a compression fraction to my T8 and I’ve wedged about five of my other vertebrae a bit shorter, so it’s something that I am going to have to manage forever. I am really lucky that I’m not a paraplegic or quadriplegic.”
The injury not only hinders Barrass on the footy field, but affects his everyday life where he is a father to two boys Billy, two, and Benson, 11 months, with fiancé Nadia Rosa.

“It still gives me a bit of trouble in my everyday life” he said.
“It’s OK when I’m moving, but as soon as I’m static it feels like I’ve got a broken back again.
“It’s a permanent thing and it’s something that I work on from the second I wake up – I’ve got to do mobility and get moving and find a way to come to work.”

Barrass, who has played 132 games since being drafted in 2013 including playing in the Eagles’ 2018 premiership and winning the John Worsfold Medal in 2022, concedes there’s a risk it could shorten his career.

“With the physiotherapy and some of the other medical treatments that are available to me, I’m able to get out of bed and get moving and get on with my life,” he said.
“If I do it again, I’m certainly in trouble. I’ve got a mortgage, and this is my job, and I’ve got a family and I’ve got to go to work every day.

“There’s a point where I will certainly stop trying and I’ll have to completely prioritise things, but I’ve got a job, I’ve got a role to play and I’m going to do my very best to balance all the balls while I can and if that becomes unmanageable then I will have to say goodbye.”

The shock news comes just months after Barrass was the centre of speculation around a potential move to Sydney, despite being contracted until the end of 2027.

Sydney list boss Kinnear Beatson made the claim that Barrass’ management reached out to the Swans about any interest in a trade.
“We had some discussions with his management about what that looked like but then we were told last week that he’s decided to stay,” Beatson said in August.
Barrass also missed out on the Eagles’ captaincy after the retirement of skipper Luke Shuey, with forward

Also makes the capatain call a much easier choice because if barass has to call time early you'd rather pick someone that will be around a bit longer too.

Said it at the time that Reiwoldt tunnelled him like he had a habit of doing

Crickets from the media about it though cos cheeky Jack is such a likeable bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might’ve done it intentionally before, but it seems like Reiwoldt was just backing up to go for the mark in this one. I can’t stand the guy, but this one just seems like an accident.

You would hope the AFL would take the opportunity to do something educational with Tom's injury and if they wanted to be legit, expand the parameters/definitions for duty of care.

There was a brief period a few years back where they seemed to crack down on tunnelling but it seems to have drifted off the hot list somehow.

It's one of the most dangerous actions left in the game. It's also one of those things that used to be self policing, players didn't do it because they knew there would be retribution meted out. As retaliation has been removed from the game we have had a few of these quasi-footballing actions pop up and cause grief. If the AFL had any brains they would have moved to stamp it out ages ago.

[/Tldr]

Bring back the biff!

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back