Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

04 is a stretch.
Both the Saints and cats were up and coming teams at the time, but were both well off Port and Brisbane.

Brisbane smacked Saints by 13 goals in the QF. Port smashed us by 9 goals.
Both had close PF wins against the other.
You forgot 2 factors.

1. Saints only lost by a goal in that preliminary final vs Port Adelaide thanks to some Gavin Wanganeen Heroics late in that game.

2. I still would of given the saints a slim chance in 2004 vs Brisbane. Saints had some vets from that 1997 grand final

They're out of No Man's Land now though right?

If you finish bottom 4, you're rubbish. You're not in No Man's Land - you're not good.

For their sake, hopefully they don't muster up some wins late and drag themselves back into No Man's Land again.

If they stay in the bottom 4, and offload Battle for compensation - they will have set themselves up nicely over the last 2-3 years.

You forgot 2 factors.

1. Saints only lost by a goal in that preliminary final vs Port Adelaide thanks to some Gavin Wanganeen Heroics late in that game.

2. I still would of given the saints a slim chance in 2004 vs Brisbane. Saints had some vets from that 1997 grand final
Exactly, Saints had beaten Brisbane 2 of 3 Home&Away meetings across 2003 & 2004 before that QF belting.

Reversing QF results can happen. Hawthorn were down by about 50 at 3QT of the 2015 QF in Perth, then smashed the Eagles in the GF at the G.

Brisbane apparently weren't in great shape on GF day, after being forced to play their prelim at the MCG and return a few days later. Port smacked them in the GF with 11 goals to 4 in the second half. Fair chance the young Saints would've beaten them too.

For their sake, hopefully they don't muster up some wins late and drag themselves back into No Man's Land again.

If they stay in the bottom 4, and offload Battle for compensation - they will have set themselves up nicely over the last 2-3 years.
Yesterday's result pretty much cements us down the bottom. Even (somehow) winning 5 of the last 6 we'd struggle finishing above 14th.

So we're guaranteed one high pick.

Article in the Age yesterday on Battle. I agree, if we can get a pick 5 or 6 and draft another quality mid, it's a no brainer

Yesterday's result pretty much cements us down the bottom. Even (somehow) winning 5 of the last 6 we'd struggle finishing above 14th.

So we're guaranteed one high pick.

Article in the Age yesterday on Battle. I agree, if we can get a pick 5 or 6 and draft another quality mid, it's a no brainer

No way the competition allows Battle (an honest trier) gets tier one compo. Tier 3 maybe.

No way the competition allows Battle (an honest trier) gets tier one compo. Tier 3 maybe.

The same comp that allowed McKay band 1? Honestly it’s never a good system when it’s better to let players leave to rig the system with compensation

If you pay dem enuff moneys dey gives you Tier 1.
If you pay an honest trier enough moneys dey gives you Tier 1.
Its not brain surgery. its not a mysterious conspiracy.

They're out of No Man's Land now though right?

If you finish bottom 4, you're rubbish. You're not in No Man's Land - you're not good.

They should be no where near the bottom 4. They have bottom out and picked up some fantastic kids. For me it's a culture problem whoever idea it was to bring back Ross should be sacked and then SOS to. Sacked Ratten and gone backwards million miles. The writing was on the wall with so much staff leaving.

They should be no where near the bottom 4. They have bottom out and picked up some fantastic kids. For me it's a culture problem whoever idea it was to bring back Ross should be sacked and then SOS to. Sacked Ratten and gone backwards million miles. The writing was on the wall with so much staff leaving.
Sorry man, you lost me at 'culture'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, Saints had beaten Brisbane 2 of 3 Home&Away meetings across 2003 & 2004 before that QF belting.

Reversing QF results can happen. Hawthorn were down by about 50 at 3QT of the 2015 QF in Perth, then smashed the Eagles in the GF at the G.

Brisbane apparently weren't in great shape on GF day, after being forced to play their prelim at the MCG and return a few days later. Port smacked them in the GF with 11 goals to 4 in the second half. Fair chance the young Saints would've beaten them too.

I Actually agree. Kozi, Gherig and Riewoldt would of caused some Problems up forward.

Aussie Jones and Robert harvey, Max Hughston and Justin Peckett all played in the 2004 prelim final loss to port, but all 4 played in that 1997 AFL grand final. Yes there was a 7 or 8 year gap between the 1997 grand finals and 2004 prelim final, but Saints had some finals experience and players that played and won finals too.

Well its the AFL, So I dont know what they are thinking.

Crows fans hoped for a top 3 or top 5 compo pick in 2020 when Brad Crouch left Ironically to the saints. Crows got pick 21 or 23 as a free agent compo pick for crouch. Thats only because Saints offered him $600-$650,000 a year for 5 years. Had it been a year earlier in 2019, when the crows finished 11th. So that would of meant crows would of likely crows would of got a 1st round compo for Crouch, likely Pick 9 or 10 or 11 depending on NGA and father son and free agentcy picks.

I reckon 2 or 3 Victorian clubs will look at him. I also think one club is crazy enough to offer him $800,000 a year for 5 or 6 years too.

Well its the AFL, So I dont know what they are thinking.

Crows fans hoped for a top 3 or top 5 compo pick in 2020 when Brad Crouch left Ironically to the saints. Crows got pick 21 or 23 as a free agent compo pick for crouch. Thats only because Saints offered him $600-$650,000 a year for 5 years. Had it been a year earlier in 2019, when the crows finished 11th. So that would of meant crows would of likely crows would of got a 1st round compo for Crouch, likely Pick 9 or 10 or 11 depending on NGA and father son and free agentcy picks.

I reckon 2 or 3 Victorian clubs will look at him. I also think one club is crazy enough to offer him $800,000 a year for 5 or 6 years too.

Wrong.
You get the Tier.
Only after that does the finishing position make a difference.
Tier 2 is End of round 1 and that's all you were ever going to get.

StKilda were not paying Brad Crouch among the top 5% of AFL players.
If you don't get paid among the top 5% of AFL players you don't get tier one compo.

Again.... the cold hard win and loss record only tells you certain amount of stats.

Saints lost a few close games this season. Could easily be 10 wins and 6 losses and inside the top 8.
If you play a very defensive game style, of course the losses may look closer on paper because the total scores for both teams are lower. But that doesn't necessarily mean you were any 'closer' to winning them - being 12 points down near the end of the game can be a big deal if you're only scoring 6 goals for the entire match.

If you play a very defensive game style, of course the losses may look closer on paper because the total scores for both teams are lower. But that doesn't necessarily mean you were any 'closer' to winning them - being 12 points down near the end of the game can be a big deal if you're only scoring 6 goals for the entire match.

Yeah, I think that is a very fair call. Saints were flattered in some games because they kept all scoring to a minimum.

I think the back 6 are probably in the top 25% of the competition. The forwards and mids are probably in the bottom 25%. Have to hold on to youngsters - Phillipou, NWM, Wilson - and start to draft more talent around them. Can bring through the next generation whilst Sinclair, King, Marshall etc are still going OK.

RTB reckons the saints can play the role of spoiling a few teams plans for finals.

Will be interesting to see what him and SOS do in the off season. I’m expecting a sprinkling of cheap re-treads to come onto the list and he’ll wrongly back the rest in.

St Kilda plays a brand of footy that rebuilding teams play. Keep the scores really low to where you are maybe down 2-3 goals in the 4th quarter then try and fluke the win.

That’s why they are in no man’s land.

RTB reckons the saints can play the role of spoiling a few teams plans for finals.

Will be interesting to see what him and SOS do in the off season. I’m expecting a sprinkling of cheap re-treads to come onto the list and he’ll wrongly back the rest in.
Well, they’ve already spoiled St Kildas plans!

Well, they’ve already spoiled St Kildas plans!
True, but I’m keen to see who they look to land over the draft and trading period.

SOS has full autonomy in drafting and trading this year so I’m looking forward to his wheeling and dealing.
Not sure I’d put my first rounder solely in his hands given his very chequered history with those picks but let’s see how he fares.

Think old favourites like Cuningham, Kemp, JSOS and Martin will be well and truly on the menu. And it’s no surprise that Shiels name has been mentioned again as he’s been keen on Dyl for years.

St Kilda plays a brand of footy that rebuilding teams play. Keep the scores really low to where you are maybe down 2-3 goals in the 4th quarter then try and fluke the win.

That’s why they are in no man’s land.
The saints brand of footy makes them competitive for most weeks.

Again look at the 1st 16 games they had. 6 wins and 10 losses could of been 10 wins and 6 losses or 11 wins and 5 losses in the top 8 or even top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back