AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
From http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/04/10/12919_gfc.html

Steven King out to prove Cats wrong

Sarah Bieske

10Apr08

STEVEN King says he will be proving Geelong wrong when he lines up against the Cats on Saturday.

King, who was traded by Geelong last year after 12 seasons with the club, said while he felt no need to make a point against his old side, his footy will do the talking.
"I don't see it as myself having anything to prove, I think me just still playing league footy is proving my point,'' King said.
"Every week I play I think it's me proving my point that I can still play AFL footy.''
St Kilda will use inside information from the ex-Cats captain on his former team as the Saints attempt to bring down the reigning premier at Telstra Dome on Saturday.
King said both he and fellow former Cat Charlie Gardiner had briefed their new club's coaching staff on the Cats' game plan and how they turned their season around last year.
"I've been trying to. I guess everyone's looking at Geelong as the benchmark after such a great year last year and I guess throughout my time here, the last six months or so of being at St Kilda, I've been sharing what turned Geelong around as a club and as a team,'' King said.
"Obviously this week we've been looking a bit more specifically on their game style. (Geelong's) probably changed a few things since I've left but I've been giving the coaching staff a bit of a heads up on what they try and do and what their strengths and weaknesses are.''
King remains in contact with many of his former teammates.
While he dodged questions about lining up against Geelong ruck Mark Blake, who was controversially replaced by King in the Cats' grand final side last September, the Saints ruckman said he looked forward to playing his former side and expected to be at the centre of some serious sledging.
"I hope so, and I expect to get a bit (of heckling) out as well, it's going to be good fun I think,'' King said.
"There's probably eight to 10 guys I keep in really regular contact with, I've got a great relationship with most of the boys down there. It's funny how things happen but you move on.
"I probably haven't seen a few of them since grand final celebrations so it will be a bit of a weird feeling seeing them out on the field.''

You were a great servant to the club Kinga. You had however struggled for the past few years. Blake's going to be steamed up from the Grand Final - and he can actually leap in the air to win the ball.
Briefing your team on our game plan isn't going to help you when the ball hits the deck at 2:10pm Saturday. Bring on the rabble!

Blake definately has more to prove than kingy does. And last weeks form was better. He'll kill him! Having 20 stars and Byrnes alongside helps also!! :D

Would King and Gardiner know much of our gameplan last year?
They only played a handful of games.

I suspect they would because there was a lot of interaction with whole playing list. Otherwise you couldn't bring in players from the magoos.

Charlie Gardiner certainly didn't seem to have any idea about our game plan.
His game plan:
-Lead up ground
-Take chest mark
-Turn around to assess options
-Wait
-Wait
-Allow opposition to flood back
-Wait
-Wait
-Open eyes wide and continue to assess options
-Wait
-Kick to 2 opposition on 1 Cat contest
-Chase ball going back in opposite direction

His game plan:
-Lead up ground
-Take chest mark
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
Made me chuckle, but so.oo true.:)

His game plan:
-Lead up ground
-Take chest mark
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait

hehe, its funny cause it's true.

For those who like stats, blakey is looking good ;)

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=10&pid1=1358&tid2=16&pid2=240

blake averages more then king in all vital stats for rucks.

Hitouts, Possessions, goals and marks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven who ?

Exactly.

If it wasn't for Kingy and his shit handball that resulted in a Crawford goal in round 4 last year, Hawthorn fans would have absolutely no ammunition to troll us with.

Thanks a lot Kingy! :mad::p

His game plan:
-Lead up ground
-Take chest mark
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait

I'm not sure St. Kilda's coached well enough to fight that.:D

His game plan:
-Lead up ground
-Take chest mark
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait
-Wait

Well he's a perfect fit for the St Kilda gameplan then:D

So do any of you think Kingy will be booed on Saturday? Even though that article has annoyed me a little, I still hope he escapes the wrath of our supporters.

It does seem to be a tradition to boo ex players no matter what the circumstances of their departure. A bit of heckling when they stuff up is OK but just mindless jeering everytime they get the ball seems unnecessary. Moloney who nows plays for Melbourne certainly didn't deserve it. Although from memory he did run through a Geelong player in one game. So maybe you were all just pre-booing him.

I'm certainly guilty of jeering Colbert but in hindsight I'm happy to retract my boos.

I hope Kingy isn't bitter & twisted? Lets face it - in his last 3 or 4 years at Catland he survived on reputation. Any other club probably would have done the same as Geelong by cutting him loose. I quietly hope Blake plays a blinder and runs King into the ground. Pity Ottens isn't fit.

So do any of you think Kingy will be booed on Saturday? Even though that article has annoyed me a little, I still hope he escapes the wrath of our supporters.

It does seem to be a tradition to boo ex players no matter what the circumstances of their departure. A bit of heckling when they stuff up is OK but just mindless jeering everytime they get the ball seems unnecessary. Moloney who nows plays for Melbourne certainly didn't deserve it. Although from memory he did run through a Geelong player in one game. So maybe you were all just pre-booing him.

I'm certainly guilty of jeering Colbert but in hindsight I'm happy to retract my boos.

Moloney knocked Jimmeh out - shouldve been locked up or even sent to the chair...:(

So do any of you think Kingy will be booed on Saturday? Even though that article has annoyed me a little, I still hope he escapes the wrath of our supporter

I doubt there will be much, but there will be a little. I think it is fair enough as well. He would still have been at the club if he had accepted that going forward, our future lies with Blake and West.

Colbert deserved it, still does. He was kept on as captain while he was off for a year injured, and then repays that by pissing off.:thumbsdown:

I doubt there will be much, but there will be a little. I think it is fair enough as well. He would still have been at the club if he had accepted that going forward, our future lies with Blake and West.
Only mindless flogs would boo a premiership player and former captain of the club. Kingy looked after himself and his future at trade week and fair enough too after 12 years of service.

Colbert deserved it, still does. He was kept on as captain while he was off for a year injured, and then repays that by pissing off.:thumbsdown:

King doesn't deserve any boos, but Colbert definately deserved it at the time. But in hind sight, Colbert moving brought us Mooney and Enright and without those guys (especially Mooney) we probably wouldn't have won the flag - so thank you traitor Colbert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Steven King out to prove Cats wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back