Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I took what McRae said about the 50 to refer to the impact of home crowd noise on umpiring decisions.
As such it's a direct criticism of the umps.
Then he talked about the "circus" of the "deliberate OOB" displaying his wilful ignorance of the rule.
Again a direct criticism of the umps.
Slap on the wrist manifestly inadequate.

I took what McRae said about the 50 to refer to the impact of home crowd noise on umpiring decisions.
Then he talked about the "circus" of the "deliberate OOB" displaying his wilful ignorance of the rule.
Should have just taken the umps out for a coffee, but he’s a cheapskate , a warning is cheaper than a $5 latte.

The most surprising thing i got out of the win on the weekend was the mentioning the players reaction in the rooms Longmire himself said they celebrated more than the 2022 PF.

Makes sense..that PF win was only because the clock saved us & more of a relief to win, whereas Fri night we looked like our confidence was increasing every minute towards the end.
Another goal if we had an extra 20 secs for sure after Heeney possessed it again with forward half all ours.

Last edited:
garry lyon on the couch did his best to hose down friday's win, suggesting we shouldn't be taking too much out of the game
and form-wise, maybe not ... but a week after one of the worst defeat's in the club's history, to come back from more than four goals down in the last quarter against the defending premiers, who were in some form and playing for their season ... i'd reckon there's plenty we can take out of that
yes, we need to back it up this week and beyond but you could tell in the last few seconds and immediately after the siren, in the coaches' box and on the field, how much that win meant

garry lyon on the couch did his best to hose down friday's win, suggesting we shouldn't be taking too much out of the game
and form-wise, maybe not ... but a week after one of the worst defeat's in the club's history, to come back from more than four goals down in the last quarter against the defending premiers, who were in some form and playing for their season ... i'd reckon there's plenty we can take out of that
yes, we need to back it up this week and beyond but you could tell in the last few seconds and immediately after the siren, in the coaches' box and on the field, how much that win meant
Collingwood weren't that good though. Burnt a lot of chances that other teams wouldn't. They kept us in it, as well as first half efforts from a few players forgotten in the aftermath of the Heeney and Warner show.

Sometimes defending premiers aren't that good. They lost 4 in a row before a mediocre win against Richmond and a close one against the ghost of Carlton's finals chances. They were without key mids and their 2023 leading goalkicker.

Yes we showed some grit and fight, way more than previous weeks, but Lyon is right. You use it as a reminder of what effort can bring, then build on it (because we'll need to get better) and show more of that fire across a whole game.

Collingwood weren't that good though. Burnt a lot of chances that other teams wouldn't. They kept us in it, as well as first half efforts from a few players forgotten in the aftermath of the Heeney and Warner show.

Sometimes defending premiers aren't that good. They lost 4 in a row before a mediocre win against Richmond and a close one against the ghost of Carlton's finals chances. They were without key mids and their 2023 leading goalkicker.

Yes we showed some grit and fight, way more than previous weeks, but Lyon is right. You use it as a reminder of what effort can bring, then build on it (because we'll need to get better) and show more of that fire across a whole game.

oh yeah, i'm not saying collingwood are any great shakes ... more a comment on lyon's negativity towards the swans, which sort of reflects the vic football media's attitude for most of the season, in dismissing or denigrating anything good about our performance ... and let's face it, there hasn't been much of that lately
in this case, the one thing we can take out of the game, as you say, is the grit and fight ... surely that's fair enough

lyon then pointed out we play essendon this week, and managed to somehow talk up essendon (!?!) in explaining how we'd have to do better again against a(nother) team with its season on the line ...

oh yeah, i'm not saying collingwood are any great shakes ... more a comment on lyon's negativity towards the swans, which sort of reflects the vic football media's attitude for most of the season, in dismissing or denigrating anything good about our performance ... and let's face it, there hasn't been much of that lately
in this case, the one thing we can take out of the game, as you say, is the grit and fight ... surely that's fair enough

lyon then pointed out we play essendon this week, and managed to somehow talk up essendon (!?!) in explaining how we'd have to do better again against a(nother) team with its season on the line ...
Lyon has probably been better than most of the Vic-centric media in terms of paying us our dues over the season.

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that "we're back" purely based on beating Collingwood by 3pts. And if we'd opened up a handy lead and then held on - just - to win by three points, the narrative would be different. But what that last quarter shows is that the Swans still have the ability to play the footy they were playing earlier in the season that comfortably accounted for pretty much every other side. Whether they can recapture that over longer periods of games for the rest of the season, whether they are in good enough physical condition to do so, and whether they have the mental fortitude to do it, all remain to be seen.

If nothing else, I hope that last quarter persuades the team that the narrative of "other teams finding a way to shut down their style" is only half correct. It felt like they'd started to believe that - to the point where, against Port, they couldn't then execute anything. McRae commented after the game how well they'd done for three and a half quarters forcing the Swans to kick long down the line. We know. We watched it and groaned. But once they started running, taking risks, trusting there'd be a team mate there to handpass to when the tackle pressure came, not being scared to make mistakes, suddenly it all looked, well, easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is as the media has covered it over the weekend is how easy we have been countered as evidenced by what Collingwood did which forced us to kick 59% to the boundary line to a contest.

When a team lapses at keeping their pressure up we were on track to kick 6 unanswered goals in 1 quarter with Heeney and Warner getting off the chain.

Teams have done really really well in shutting us down over the past 6 weeks along with us not working hard enough or making terrible selection choices.

He’ll have to face his troops and explain why he was metaphorically laying on the ground after a tight loss, wondering about what ifs, like a loser.

Lyon has probably been better than most of the Vic-centric media in terms of paying us our dues over the season.

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that "we're back" purely based on beating Collingwood by 3pts. And if we'd opened up a handy lead and then held on - just - to win by three points, the narrative would be different. But what that last quarter shows is that the Swans still have the ability to play the footy they were playing earlier in the season that comfortably accounted for pretty much every other side. Whether they can recapture that over longer periods of games for the rest of the season, whether they are in good enough physical condition to do so, and whether they have the mental fortitude to do it, all remain to be seen.

If nothing else, I hope that last quarter persuades the team that the narrative of "other teams finding a way to shut down their style" is only half correct. It felt like they'd started to believe that - to the point where, against Port, they couldn't then execute anything. McRae commented after the game how well they'd done for three and a half quarters forcing the Swans to kick long down the line. We know. We watched it and groaned. But once they started running, taking risks, trusting there'd be a team mate there to handpass to when the tackle pressure came, not being scared to make mistakes, suddenly it all looked, well, easy.
Excellent Liz.:)

Problem is as the media has covered it over the weekend is how easy we have been countered as evidenced by what Collingwood did which forced us to kick 59% to the boundary line to a contest.

When a team lapses at keeping their pressure up we were on track to kick 6 unanswered goals in 1 quarter with Heeney and Warner getting off the chain.

Teams have done really really well in shutting us down over the past 6 weeks along with us not working hard enough or making terrible selection choices.
But my observation - or maybe my hope - is that the team has acquiesced to being shut down. They’ve stopped running, with the ball, with hope of getting the ball, or just running anyway to open up space. I argued in a post a couple of months ago that it was the team’s running, more so than its skills, that were elite.

I don’t t think Collingwood’s pressure suddenly dropped off at the halfway point of the third quarter. But a team can deal with pressure much better when it’s collectively on the move, and when it’s not scared of making mistakes.

If it were straightforward to shut down our play, we wouldn’t have beaten GWS second time around in much the same way as we beat them the first time. Kingsley is a smart, competitive coach with a good team at his disposal. He’d have successfully stopped us too if that didn’t require us to be complicit in being stopped.

This isn’t to say we’ll win the premiership if we recapture our energy and intent and confidence. There are other good teams and we need to be able to cope with what they do well, as well as with the physical wear and tear of a season. But we have a chance.

They’ve stopped running, with the ball, with hope of getting the ball, or just running anyway to open up space.
Exactly this.
It has become confidence sapping whereas earlier in the year when they were taking it all on, they created this aura of invincibility. Hopefully they realised in that last 12 minutes what they've been robbing themselves of.

I thought it was more because McStay played on before Tom could get back. I wouldn't have complained if it was the other way around.
This.

McStay should've had more awareness and held on for an extra 2-3 seconds to give McCartin time to (not) listen to the umps calls to get back, and then he would have been forced to blow the whistle.

McCartin took a step back at the umps request, but didn't have an opportunity to retreat the full 4 metres as McStay played on immediately and the ump didn't have an opportunity to call anything other than play on.

So it was the correct call, and both the ump and McCartin didn't have an opportunity to do anything other than what they did.

Somehow I dont think having momentum is against the rules, it's not getting back behind the mark when requested that will draw a 50.

Back in your box McRae

You can compare to the situation that happens multiple times every game, where a player takes a mark (or wins a free kick) and is brought to ground in the process. Opposition players regular linger on top of the ball winner, slowing his ability to get to his feet and resume play. The opposition player has to be particularly egregious in their lingering to be pinged for a 50m penalty - unless, that is, they weren't in the contest to start with, in which case it should be an automatic 50m penalty.

This.

McStay should've had more awareness and held on for an extra 2-3 seconds to give McCartin time to (not) listen to the umps calls to get back, and then he would have been forced to blow the whistle.

McCartin took a step back at the umps request, but didn't have an opportunity to retreat the full 4 metres as McStay played on immediately and the ump didn't have an opportunity to call anything other than play on.

So it was the correct call, and both the ump and McCartin didn't have an opportunity to do anything other than what they did.

Somehow I dont think having momentum is against the rules, it's not getting back behind the mark when requested that will draw a 50.

Back in your box McRae
Here's how I see the non 50 decision.
I let all my Pie friends know that it should DEFINITELY have been a 50m penalty & that they would have won the game if it was applied and that the Pies would also be in the finals & able to defend their title if it was applied.
It infuriates them & I get a kick out of it.

I also let them know that we are still on top because of the non 50m decision.
It infuriates them more.
I get a bigger kick out of it.

Don't fight it folks. Tell them what they want to hear because they can't do anything about it.
On all matters Macrae, just watch his presser again.
He is battling real hard with himself to bite his tongue so that he doesn't become that person & club that tried so hard to portray a non losers attitude.

But they lost & he lost the press battle as well.......................................and they are losers all round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back