Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently, our win against the Bombers was closer than the scoreline suggested. I can't even🤦‍♀️

Late to the party on this, but their ranking of WBD as #1 is so full of caveats they should be embarrassed publishing it.

There’s a chance our No.1 team misses the finals entirely....
...You can very fairly point out that the Dogs lost by six goals to bottom-four side Adelaide last week...
....We’ll have them favoured in an elimination final vs Carlton, Fremantle or Hawthorn (the latter is much tougher, but they may not have Will Day); playing an away semi-final against GWS or Port shouldn’t be TOO scary (though you’d rather avoid Adelaide Oval); and they won’t be afraid of an SCG prelim.....

It seems to come down to;
...we’ve also been leading this bandwagon for a few months...so they are going to hang on until grim death.

And finally congratulations to the Dogs having ....13 wins and a huge percentage.
Indeed well done to them on having 3 less wins and a poorer % than the Swans.

The eye sees all, but the mind shows us what we want to see.

Late to the party on this, but their ranking of WBD as #1 is so full of caveats they should be embarrassed publishing it.

There’s a chance our No.1 team misses the finals entirely....
...You can very fairly point out that the Dogs lost by six goals to bottom-four side Adelaide last week...
....We’ll have them favoured in an elimination final vs Carlton, Fremantle or Hawthorn (the latter is much tougher, but they may not have Will Day); playing an away semi-final against GWS or Port shouldn’t be TOO scary (though you’d rather avoid Adelaide Oval); and they won’t be afraid of an SCG prelim.....

It seems to come down to;
...we’ve also been leading this bandwagon for a few months...so they are going to hang on until grim death.

And finally congratulations to the Dogs having ....13 wins and a huge percentage.
Indeed well done to them on having 3 less wins and a poorer % than the Swans.

The eye sees all, but the mind shows us what we want to see.
But they beat us and we lost to Port so we should forefit the season

Does seem to prove the theory that it really is all just mental with this group
The word that best describes what they have gone through over those 6 or so weeks, IMO, is "soft".
We were winning every week having started off playing some real hard high pressure footy.
All the glowing publicity from the media, the talk of our 3 mids fighting out the Brownlow, all the positive stats that were conducive to winning a flag, etc, etc, had the players (the talented ones at least) drinking their own bath water.
Easy to do when the team is so far ahead of the comp that self preservation rears it's head & the perception that lesser efforts will get the job done because "we are that good ...........................fk yeah" take over the game plan that was doing the damage.

The Saints game was the very one that I noticed we were in trouble.
Lack of two way run from some & trying to burst through packs from Warner & getting caught were the warning signs for me. We easily took control of that game but then missed a few shots to start the last & the Saints smelt the softness & took their chance.

Some of the hardness came back for a quarter against Pies & two & a half quarters against the Dons.
If we are that good & a threat for the flag then I'm expecting a full onslaught against the Crows this week to send the message back out to the rest of the finalists that we have awoken from our "soft" slumber & are ready for a 3 game assault in September to rightfully take what the players mid season thought was theirs to lose.

So don't lose it Swans

They've gone with Goodsey. Great as that great man is, when it comes to our club's greatest player, it is clear-cut: Bobby Skilton. They rightly mention Plugger and Franklin for their enormous talent but overlook Nash and Pratt and even Bedford. We also had some amazing players in the 19th century. We have been blessed with a number of outstanding players over the years - just sadly not enough at the same time though for 70 odd years of our history.

They've gone with Goodsey. Great as that great man is, when it comes to our club's greatest player, it is clear-cut Bobby Skilton. They rightly mention Plugger and Franklin for their enormous talent but overlook Nash and Pratt and even Bedford. We also had some amazing players in the 19th century. We have blessed with a number of outstanding players over the years - sadly not enough at the same time though for 70 odd years.

I've gotta go Goodes. Longevity, flexibility of position, two Brownlows, as well as two flags from a team perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've gotta go Goodes. Longevity, flexibility of position, two Brownlows, as well as two flags from a team perspective.

Recency bias!

Skilts had 3 Brownlows, 9 B&Fs (!!), captained the club across 11 seasons and only played one less season (16 v 17). Didn't get any flags but that wasn't his fault. There's a reason (actually a lot of them) our B&F is named after him.

Recency bias!

Skilts had 3 Brownlows, 9 B&Fs (!!), captained the club across 11 seasons and only played one less season (16 v 17). Didn't get any flags but that wasn't his fault. There's a reason (actually a lot of them) our B&F is named after him.
Correct , Skilton also missed an entire season with a ruptured Achilles , played in a shocking side at times , Goodes was lucky to have so many stars . Nash doesn't get the kudos he should and Nash was a freak . But hey im on the media thread , sorry

Recency bias!

Is it because he came first? ;)

How many of Skilton's seasons did you watch?

I think it's impossible to judge properly having not watched him play but Goodes' longevity and versatility wins it for me.

Is it because he came first? ;)

How many of Skilton's seasons did you watch?

I think it's impossible to judge properly having not watched him play but Goodes' longevity and versatility wins it for me.

It's a fair point that I have watched precisely none of Skilton's games live (or even otherwise) - I've only snippets of footage. (I take it the same goes for you?) But I have read and I have listened and heard, and the facts I cited speak for themselves.

I think it's important we remember our history and not overrate the present time.

It's a fair point that I have watched precisely none of Skilton's games live (or even otherwise) - I've only snippets of footage. (I take it the same goes for you?) But I have read and I have listened and heard, and the facts I cited speak for themselves.

I think it's important we remember our history and not overrate the present time.
It's almost impossible to effectively compare players from different eras as so much is different. Both champions.

Yeah my last paragraph said as much, which is my point that it's tough to compare eras particularly having not watched it, but I don't think that pointing to the fact the medal is named after him means much other than he came before Goodes. On the objective truths Goodes played more games than him, played more positions than him, won more flags than him. That at least tells me it's close enough to have either of them as an acceptable answer.

Recency bias!

Nostalgia bias lol. Same goes for the whole Leigh Matthews is the GOAT thing, gotta move on at some point it just doesn't wash anymore. Michael Jordan fits in there too.

Goodes for me is easily the swans best ever, if not the greatest footballer of all time. I genuinely don't think there is a single player who was an overall better player, the bloke was an absolute specimen and could do anything and everything at an elite level. Most others in the conversation were elite in a specific attribute or skillset, Goodes had everything.

I wonder if a best ever list in relation to the league as a whole should be from AFL era onwards. Obviously that will still handicap GWS and GCS particularly but at least there is a relatively level playing field.
If you are talking about it from purely a single team perspective that is where they should be looking at the whole history.
Especially when your are going to only look at certain clubs historically. I mean they even included this paragraph:
Port Adelaide, of course, has a storied history in the SANFL but for the purposes of this exercise, we've only considered players from its AFL era. - Michael Whiting
VIC bias much?

The GOAT convos are all relatively pointless and just to fill the 24/7 Sports news cycle.

Who cares really if someone says say Ablett Jr was better than Ablett Sr. At some point it's just personal preference .

At least in modern times if you want you can go watch every game of someone career on replay potentially.

Where as for say Skilton I can what? read about him or ask old people.

For say Roy Cazaly, sure I can get Bedford to tell me , but it's so long ago .

Bunton Sr yep has three brownlows and awesome write ups, but we have that one piece of footage of him.

Then there's even the whole what we see live versus on TV anyway:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back