Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

They've gone with Goodsey. Great as that great man is, when it comes to our club's greatest player, it is clear-cut: Bobby Skilton. They rightly mention Plugger and Franklin for their enormous talent but overlook Nash and Pratt and even Bedford. We also had some amazing players in the 19th century. We have been blessed with a number of outstanding players over the years - just sadly not enough at the same time though for 70 odd years of our history.
Not mentioning Nash, Pratt or Bedford is farcical.

I think Gulden has a chance to finish his career as one of the top five Swans ever. It's within the capability of this team to become the best Swans team of all time (or at least within anyone's living memory) and he's likely to be the driving force behind any such success.

By season's end he'll have 2xAll Australian, top 5 Brownlow finish and hopefully some more silverware...

I think Gulden has a chance to finish his career as one of the top five Swans ever. It's within the capability of this team to become the best Swans team of all time (or at least within anyone's living memory) and he's likely to be the driving force behind any such success.

Ridiculous to think he's almost at 100 games at 22 with a GF appearance, AA jacket and top 3 Brownlow finish under his belt. There's no limit to what he could achieve.

They've gone with Goodsey. Great as that great man is, when it comes to our club's greatest player, it is clear-cut: Bobby Skilton. They rightly mention Plugger and Franklin for their enormous talent but overlook Nash and Pratt and even Bedford. We also had some amazing players in the 19th century. We have been blessed with a number of outstanding players over the years - just sadly not enough at the same time though for 70 odd years of our history.
None of us ever saw Skilton play, so to decide whether Skilton or Goodes is "the greatest" is all hypothetical.

However - to leave Paul Kelly out of the mentions is just silly. Without 'Kel, the Swans may never have made it through the mid-90's & could easily have folded.

The most inspirational player I've ever seen.

I wonder if a best ever list in relation to the league as a whole should be from AFL era onwards. Obviously that will still handicap GWS and GCS particularly but at least there is a relatively level playing field.
If you are talking about it from purely a single team perspective that is where they should be looking at the whole history.
Especially when your are going to only look at certain clubs historically. I mean they even included this paragraph:
Port Adelaide, of course, has a storied history in the SANFL but for the purposes of this exercise, we've only considered players from its AFL era. - Michael Whiting
VIC bias much?
For what its worth, I saw John Cahill, Russell Ebert , Greg Phillips & Tim Evans play…..ALL at their peak.

Ebert was as good if not better than any Power player.

Cahill was like Boak, Captain for 5 years and Coach for 10.

Phillips and Tredrea would be comparable

Evans kicked 146 in 1980 and lead the SANFL goal kicking 6 times.

Then there’s Wiedeman, Marriot etc going way back - there’s a reason Port won 6 GFs in a row.

The people writing this stuff are idiots.

None of us ever saw Skilton play, so to decide whether Skilton or Goodes is "the greatest" is all hypothetical.

However - to leave Paul Kelly out of the mentions is just silly. Without 'Kel, the Swans may never have made it through the mid-90's & could easily have folded.

I saw Skilton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to teams/sports with 100+ years of history, it's close to impossible to reach a consensus on a greatest player/team/coach etc.

I think all you can assess is whether someone is deserving of that label. I completely understand why some will unequivocally stump for Skilton but I don't think you can credibly suggest that Goodesy isn't also worthy of being named our best ever.

When it comes to teams/sports with 100+ years of history, it's close to impossible to reach a consensus on a greatest player/team/coach etc.

I think all you can assess is whether someone is deserving of that label. I completely understand why some will unequivocally stump for Skilton but I don't think you can credibly suggest that Goodesy isn't also worthy of being named our best ever.
I love both ,but if you didn't see Skilts it's hard to compare ,maybe this needs to be on the club history thread

As I've mentioned many times before, my granddad was adamant that Skilton is the best footballer he's ever seen. And he saw most of his career live and in the flesh, nearly every week. The only player he'd even entertain being part of that conversation was Leigh Matthews, and he reckons there was still no conversation to be had.

It drives me only mildly insane that he had that unbelievable privilege and still ended up a West Coast Eagles fan, meanwhile a diehard, life-long Swans fan like myself never even got to see Paul Kelly, let alone Skilton!

By season's end he'll have 2xAll Australian, top 5 Brownlow finish and hopefully some more silverware...
Gulden's status as a wingman more so than a full-time mid should help him rack up All Australians over the journey.

22AUG24: Dean Cox interview/SEN New
Full interview with Dean Cox on SEN:

As I've mentioned many times before, my granddad was adamant that Skilton is the best footballer he's ever seen. And he saw most of his career live and in the flesh, nearly every week. The only player he'd even entertain being part of that conversation was Leigh Matthews, and he reckons there was still no conversation to be had.

It drives me only mildly insane that he had that unbelievable privilege and still ended up a West Coast Eagles fan, meanwhile a diehard, life-long Swans fan like myself never even got to see Paul Kelly, let alone Skilton!
Be interesting to see where he puts Diesel Williams - although his best was reserved for Carlton I think.

Be interesting to see where he puts Diesel Williams - although his best was reserved for Carlton I think.
My granddad was a Carlton fan prior to the Eagles coming in, as he was an old Melbournian. He used to rant about Williams but I never thought to ask about him. I think I even asked on here once what made Williams so good and from memory, most replied with praise for his run and link-up by hands.

According to my old man the best Carlton player was Geoff Southby. I could not pick him out of a line-up!

I love both ,but if you didn't see Skilts it's hard to compare ,maybe this needs to be on the club history thread
As a kid I never missed a South Melbourne game, I absolutely loved Bobby Skilton, to me there will never be anyone as good as was, I would go every week, in fact I had my first junior membership in 1964, week after week we would get absolutely thrashed and every week I watched Bobby Skilton get bashed from pillar to post because they could not stop him any other way, he was just a legend, played his heart out, I was at the game when he got knocked out and got those 2 back eyes, his Brownlow year, my uncle who was a social club member would take me into the social club after the game, players would then come in and mix with the members, I had a huge photo of Bobby which I took into the social club with me for Bobby to autograph, he knew me by name in the end, I was there so often lol ( just drinking raspberries lol) anyway he signed my photo and bought me a raspberry lol, but yeh, to me he is the greatest Swan player I have ever watch play. The sad part of the story, my uncle who was a member all through those lean times never got to see any of our success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back