Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

As a kid I never missed a South Melbourne game, I absolutely loved Bobby Skilton, to me there will never be anyone as good as was, I would go every week, in fact I had my first junior membership in 1964, week after week we would get absolutely thrashed and every week I watched Bobby Skilton get bashed from pillar to post because they could not stop him any other way, he was just a legend, played his heart out, I was at the game when he got knocked out and got those 2 back eyes, his Brownlow year, my uncle who was a social club member would take me into the social club after the game, players would then come in and mix with the members, I had a huge photo of Bobby which I took into the social club with me for Bobby to autograph, he knew me by name in the end, I was there so often lol ( just drinking raspberries lol) anyway he signed my photo and bought me a raspberry lol, but yeh, to me he is the greatest Swan player I have ever watch play. The sad part of the story, my uncle who was a member all through those lean times never got to see any of our success.
All I can say is if he was better the Diesel Williams….bloody hell!

As a kid I never missed a South Melbourne game, I absolutely loved Bobby Skilton, to me there will never be anyone as good as was, I would go every week, in fact I had my first junior membership in 1964, week after week we would get absolutely thrashed and every week I watched Bobby Skilton get bashed from pillar to post because they could not stop him any other way, he was just a legend, played his heart out, I was at the game when he got knocked out and got those 2 back eyes, his Brownlow year, my uncle who was a social club member would take me into the social club after the game, players would then come in and mix with the members, I had a huge photo of Bobby which I took into the social club with me for Bobby to autograph, he knew me by name in the end, I was there so often lol ( just drinking raspberries lol) anyway he signed my photo and bought me a raspberry lol, but yeh, to me he is the greatest Swan player I have ever watch play. The sad part of the story, my uncle who was a member all through those lean times never got to see any of our success.
This is exactly how my granddad described him to me. Easily the best he'd seen and was constantly belted, scragged and held off the ball because there was nothing else they could do to stop him

23AUG24: Swans Daily Media New
As I've mentioned many times before, my granddad was adamant that Skilton is the best footballer he's ever seen. And he saw most of his career live and in the flesh, nearly every week. The only player he'd even entertain being part of that conversation was Leigh Matthews, and he reckons there was still no conversation to be had.

It drives me only mildly insane that he had that unbelievable privilege and still ended up a West Coast Eagles fan, meanwhile a diehard, life-long Swans fan like myself never even got to see Paul Kelly, let alone Skilton!
I remember sitting in the pouring rain, in the Brewongle Concourse back in 1993, watching the Swans get routinely belted.

But the no.14 gave the meagre crowd hope. He was a joy to watch, even in those darkest days.

The Swans retired the no.14 jersey for 5 years after Kelly retired, such was the esteem in which he was held.

There’s even a statue of ‘Kel at the SCG. Because without him, we might not even have an AFL club.

For some journo to just ignore him in favour of a couple of players we traded in from elsewhere - facepalm

I remember sitting in the pouring rain, in the Brewongle Concourse back in 1993, watching the Swans get routinely belted.

But the no.14 gave the meagre crowd hope. He was a joy to watch, even in those darkest days.

The Swans retired the no.14 jersey for 5 years after Kelly retired, such was the esteem in which he was held.

There’s even a statue of ‘Kel at the SCG. Because without him, we might not even have an AFL club.

For some journo to just ignore him in favour of a couple of players we traded in from elsewhere - facepalm
Kel is why I'm a Swans fan.

Well, Damo god bless him, has pleaded with Horse to rest the entire Midfield + Rampe

The First Crack preview team (or, at least, King) had lines through Rampe, Grundy, Warner, Heeney, Gulden at least. Reckons the impact of picking up an injury playing was too great. If I’d been in the audience I’d have asked him if he knew about the Driver Avenue chain fences, gutters and wrestling mats.

The others presented an alternative perspective that is closer to mine - that if the team were flying at the moment and this was a completely meaningless game then maybe. But while the result is almost meaningless, the opportunity for one more outing to try to recreate what we had earlier in the season isn’t meaningless.

The First Crack preview team (or, at least, King) had lines through Rampe, Grundy, Warner, Heeney, Gulden at least. Reckons the impact of picking up an injury playing was too great. If I’d been in the audience I’d have asked him if he knew about the Driver Avenue chain fences, gutters and wrestling mats.

The others presented an alternative perspective that is closer to mine - that if the team were flying at the moment and this was a completely meaningless game then maybe. But while the result is almost meaningless, the opportunity for one more outing to try to recreate what we had earlier in the season isn’t meaningless.
Spot on liz.

If this is another middling game where we look bang average for a half and then we win it with a 10-15 minute burst, then not much changes and we don't really learn or gain anything going into our first final.

I really want to see some sort of statement from us this weekend and a reminder that we can still be the best. Doesn't have to be a one-sided belting, that could arguably be worse for us. But a strong start, a return to our pressure & skills at their best, and as close to a four quarter effort as possible, knowing such a thing is close to extinct in footy in 2024.

Yes Liz.
Exactly how I see it. We aren't going well enough to be 'arrogant' with team selection.
I said this against the Pies & again last week against the Bombers.
If we are truly the favourite to take out the premiership against some pretty difficult opposition, then we need to win the last 3 games. Two from two has us on track. The last against the Crows should be a message sending hit out, where we play good physical combative footy. Aggression at the ball where we win each quarter by at least 6 points, without the Crows scoring successive unanswered goals & with our forward marking anything that comes their way.

Time to set ourselves for the ultimate now that we are in this position.

Agreed. Also, I think the pre-finals bye round plays a big part in the decision too.
If it was like it used to be (ahhh) and straight into finals after H&A I think there would've been plenty more rested players this week.
Knowing they'll have close to a 2 week gap between games after this Sat night anyway, then it makes sense to not giving players that huge ~3 week break between match days.

Luke Parker says Sydney has got confidence back after a late-season slump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started barracking for South Melbourne in the mid 1960's and would go to see them in every game with my Dad. We dreaded the longest trip to Geelong but would make a day of it. My fav player was Bob Skilton, and I would jump the fence to get his autograph in my autograph book every week. The two players spoken about at the time as being the best going around was Whitten & Skilton. Both very different players. Whitten would always bow to Skilts saying Skilts was the best and Skilts would return the compliment to Mr Football. I saw Leigh Matthews in his prime however I rated Peter Hudson as the best Hawks player I had seen live (up until some kid called Buddy came along). I saw Paul Kelly play his first game at Princes Park against Carlton. He was a very skinny kid who looked out of his depth. Little did I know, and to my Dad's shock, that I was going to one day call that kid better than Skilts. Both legends of our great club but I rate Kel just ahead. Goodsey was great however had a slower start to his career. Rodney Eade constantly was on his back about not working hard enough, then along came the 'Player Whisperer' in Paul Roos to push Goodsey's right buttons. Buddy, you can't deny, however his first half of his career was with another club......so my order of greatest at our club in my lifetime, 1 Kelly, 2 Skilton, 3 Goodes.

24AUG24: Swans vs Crows Match Reports New
As I've mentioned many times before, my granddad was adamant that Skilton is the best footballer he's ever seen. And he saw most of his career live and in the flesh, nearly every week. The only player he'd even entertain being part of that conversation was Leigh Matthews, and he reckons there was still no conversation to be had.

It drives me only mildly insane that he had that unbelievable privilege and still ended up a West Coast Eagles fan, meanwhile a diehard, life-long Swans fan like myself never even got to see Paul Kelly, let alone Skilton!

i respect others' opinions as i didn't see skilton but kelly will always be my no1, he was the swans to me ... goodes would be pretty close, for all-round ability if nothing else

Tay-Tay out & Parker stays in first final according to Riley & Kane (Starts at 4:14) :

Adams was OK last night. There were a few moments where I could see that toughness and footy smarts his supporters on here cite as the reason to keep him in. But Kane is correct. He is nor impactful and alot of it comes down to his disposal. Also, his ToG is still very low. He's either injured or just not really influencing the game enough to warrant more time. There is no comparison between him and Parker anymore. LP has him well and truly covered.

Assuming our guns all come straight back in, our best 22 is pretty sorted and Adams will be fighting Campbell, Cleary and Fox for the sub role. If he gets the nod, it will be solely on his finals experience as Campbell and Cleary are playing better and Fox is the ultimate Swiss army knife.

Adams was OK last night. There were a few moments where I could see that toughness and footy smarts his supporters on here cite as the reason to keep him in. But Kane is correct. He is nor impactful and alot of it comes down to his disposal. Also, his ToG is still very low. He's either injured or just not really influencing the game enough to warrant more time. There is no comparison between him and Parker anymore. LP has him well and truly covered.

Assuming our guns all come straight back in, our best 22 is pretty sorted and Adams will be fighting Campbell, Cleary and Fox for the sub role. If he gets the nod, it will be solely on his finals experience as Campbell and Cleary are playing better and Fox is the ultimate Swiss army knife.

If he gets the nod and Parker is sub or out of the team I wonder what people will say.

Bring the Thunder finals campaign vid:

History of minor prems...a good read:

Bring the Thunder finals campaign vid:

History of minor prems...a good read:

I can't read "Bring the thunder" without thinking of Hamilton

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back