Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Go to 24:18mins mins into the podcast for the Swans talk, not much just a quick chat about Errol.

Cats & Hawks are leading ground ball gets and their ball movement is killing it. Hawks are #1 in the comp from scoring from defense. Swans are now #16 :eekv1:

Basically, it's take Gulden out of the game and the Swans are in serious trouble.

GWS did a pretty good job of keeping him out on Saturday and we still got the job done.

GWS did a pretty good job of keeping him out on Saturday and we still got the job done.
Coming from behind at 3/4 time averages out at 15% for a win. I find it highly unlikely we are going to win a GF if we are behind which we mostly have been.

Coming from behind at 3/4 time averages out at 15% for a win. I find it highly unlikely we are going to win a GF if we are behind which we mostly have been.
Sorry Ticks but you always seem to have a reason we can't win. Just because it's not been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done.
Unlike soooo many on here, I have faith we have a pretty good team.

Sorry Ticks but you always seem to have a reason we can't win. Just because it's not been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done.
I don't think the way we have been playing lately is enough to sustain a win in a GF.

I don't think the way we have been playing lately is enough to sustain a win in a GF.
That's fine, as I said, every week you seem to have a reason why we can't win and every week I have a reason why we can. Was it this morning you had us not winning because of our talls?
One of us will be right and one will be wrong, that's just the way it is and if you turn out to be right all power to you, it won't stop me being optimistic.

I'm not sure I'm on board with this. There's this ongoing narrative every time the code in Sydney (or more precisely, the Swans) have a big moment that this one is bigger than anything that came before. But while there are undoubtedly peaks and troughs in the attention the club gets, there have been moments right throughout my time following the Swans (1995 onwards) that have captured the imagination of the city broader than the rusted-ons.

1996, there was the Geelong game that sold out. And Plugger's groin, followed by Plugger's point.
1997 the Geelong game sold out again. Plugger vs Ablett.
1999 Goal 1300
2002 Choooooose Roos
2005 Nick Davis! NICK DAVIS! Not to mention Leo Barry, you star.
2013 Bud arrives
2022 Bud's 1000th.

And that's not even listed every final, dramatic or pedestrian, that's been held at the SCG or out at Homebush.

Robbo might disparagingly refer to us at Johnny-come-latelys, but fact is, not only is the club celebrating its 150th year this season, not only was it a foundation club of the VFL, it has been a fully secured and adored part of the furniture in Sydney for close to four decades now.

i agree with all that ... but ... heeney's game, topped by the mark and that game-tying goal, has i think (from the impression i get from, well, the mainstream footy media) for the first time really convinced the victorian footy heartland (media, past players, fans, etc) of that he's genuine elite footballer ... the circumstances of it, how his incredible individual performance quite clearly, literally lifted his team to victory ... in a final!

you could argue lockett wasn't originally ours, although he very much ended up ours (and still is) ...
the davis quarter was considered by many outside the club as a sort of flash in the pan ... despite its gaining significance in what happened over the next two weeks ...
the milestone goal games were great individual moments, of course ...
and leo barry "you star", arguably the most iconic moment in swans history, and far more a club moment as well as being the famous individual moment for barry himself ... but ...
heeney, to me, has always been our homegrown "potential champion", our "local hero", and despite various frustrations we've all cheered him from the start, and wanted him to deliver on that potential, because deep down we all really believed and hoped he could be "the one" ...
and this year he very much has become "the one", in game after big game, culminating in saturday, which has already become swans folklore and legend
the football community as a whole surely would accept now that an authentic sydney swans "local hero" is the best player in the competition ... he's tougher, physically and mentally, and far more of an all-rounder than nick daicos, he's got more style than bontempelli but just as much substance, he's more consistently dangerous than jeremy cameron, he's definitely passed toby greene, and petracca's off the scene ...
so, sorry for rambling on, but that's why i think heeney's game at the very least is the equal of any of the other genuine "big moments" the club has experienced

although i may not be paying enough respect, giving enough credit to the plugger point and barry's mark ... to get us into that grand final, that was a validation and vindication of the swans being in sydney, and sydney's first big moment as the swans ...
and of course barry taking the premiership grab, 72 years waiting ...

Last edited:

me too
i've thought this was a premiership core group since the gulden/mcdonald/campbell debut game
i thought we were close in 2022 but ultimately were exposed as too physically raw and mentally fragile
we're now much more battle-hardened mentally, and across the board stronger and better prepared physically
and i reckon grundy is the key, i can see him lifting these next two games, and lifting the players around him, like he did early in the season
and i reckon saturday's win has reinforced the team's self-belief and faith in each other

Hawthorn Hawthorn Hawthorn 🥱
And yet watching Robbo worship at the altar of Hawthorn is still less torturous than having to sit through The Block (which Mrs DQ remains addicted to).

PS: Heeney’s mark was great, but any suggestion it’s more iconic that “Leo Barry You Star!” is misguided.

And yet watching Robbo worship at the altar of Hawthorn is still less torturous than having to sit through The Block (which Mrs DQ remains addicted to).

PS: Heeney’s mark was great, but any suggestion it’s more iconic that “Leo Barry You Star!” is misguided.

not the heeney mark itself, good grief, no ... i'm talking about heeney's game as a whole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That assumes the opposition are playing well enough….endof the day it comes down to only having to better than the other side, not perfect.

i agree with all that ... but ... heeney's game, topped by the mark and that game-tying goal, has i think (from the impression i get from, well, the mainstream footy media) for the first time really convinced the victorian footy heartland (media, past players, fans, etc) of that he's genuine elite footballer ... the circumstances of it, how his incredible individual performance quite clearly, literally lifted his team to victory ... in a final!

you could argue lockett wasn't originally ours, although he very much ended up ours (and still is) ...
the davis quarter was considered by many outside the club as a sort of flash in the pan ... despite its gaining significance in what happened over the next two weeks ...
the milestone goal games were great individual moments, of course ...
and leo barry "you star", arguably the most iconic moment in swans history, and far more a club moment as well as being the famous individual moment for barry himself ... but ...
heeney, to me, has always been our homegrown "potential champion", our "local hero", and despite various frustrations we've all cheered him from the start, and wanted him to deliver on that potential, because deep down we all really believed and hoped he could be "the one" ...
and this year he very much has become "the one", in game after big game, culminating in saturday, which has already become swans folklore and legend
the football community as a whole surely would accept now that an authentic sydney swans "local hero" is the best player in the competition ... he's tougher, physically and mentally, and far more of an all-rounder than nick daicos, he's got more style than bontempelli but just as much substance, he's more consistently dangerous than jeremy cameron, he's definitely passed toby greene, and petracca's off the scene ...
so, sorry for rambling on, but that's why i think heeney's game at the very least is the equal of any of the other genuine "big moments" the club has experienced

although i may not be paying enough respect, giving enough credit to the plugger point and barry's mark ... to get us into that grand final, that was a validation and vindication of the swans being in sydney, and sydney's first big moment as the swans ...
and of course barry taking the premiership grab, 72 years waiting ...
I've always felt Barry's mark was overhyped by media wanting a narrative to take away from a less-than-spectacular grand final. It was a good mark, and it came in the dying seconds. It could have been a free kick against LRT, and even if Barry hadn't marked it, the pack would most likely have spilled the ball towards the boundary line giving the same end result. Quarters' call probably milked it a bit too.

I've always felt Barry's mark was overhyped by media wanting a narrative to take away from a less-than-spectacular grand final. It was a good mark, and it came in the dying seconds. It could have been a free kick against LRT, and even if Barry hadn't marked it, the pack would most likely have spilled the ball towards the boundary line giving the same end result. Quarters' call probably milked it a bit too.
Combination of the mark, the timing of the game, the premiership drought, the fact the countdown clock wasn't used so no one knew how long was left

Idk, it was magical. It wasn't until that mark was taken we knew we had won

i think you're selling the mark and the moment very short ... not to mention downplaying the sheer theatre of the scenario
barry took that mark going into a pack from the opposite direction, not only was it courageous but it was a classic "one grab", his hands were strong, he was strong ... it might not have been "jesaulenko, you beauty" or gary ablett but it was still a super mark, creating an iconic moment
and there is no way you could single out lrt or any other player in that pack as conceding a free kick

That assumes the opposition are playing well enough….endof the day it comes down to only having to better than the other side, not perfect.
Comes down to low % vs high % style of play, and i know that can be a bit of a subjective way of assessing but when I look at the way we have been playing - turning it on in bursts, succumbing to early pressure, and leaving ourselves open on the counter, we are leaving a giant hole for a consistent team to take a hold. And the last 2 times teams have sustained 4 qtr efforts against us, we've been pummeled.

Now are most teams also inconsistent? yes, so we almost always have an opportunity to hurt the opp in a given game. Barring Geelong though... They're either completely off to begin with, or they put in a mature 4 qtr performance. I'd be tipping them to beat is in the GF if it pans that way.

Swans vs GWS talk starts at 33:36mins into the video...Eddie reminds me more and more of Trump every time I listen to him

I thought the most vile part was when I think Bartels comments on Buckley's sportsmanship in helping Heeney to flip on to his back/side on his return to earth and McGuire snig-gers and ruefully says something like "once upon a time you would have pole-driven him into the ground".

Last edited:
"The greatest Battle of the Bridge yet." Too right it was.

NO. ABSOLUTELY NO. No ****ing 'Battle of the B#*$&'. I hate it every single time they say that and I am campaigning for it to stop. What bridge and why? Supposedly the ANZAC bridge but I don't have a clue why. The suggestion is that all the Swans fans are on one side and GWS fans on the other which insults all the Swans fans that live everywhere but the eastern suburbs (to say nothing of the GWS players who mostly do live in the east). I have raised this with some of the players, including Mills this pre-season, and Mills was very receptive and said something vague like "yeah absolutely!"

I'm comfortable with Sydney Derby and I'm open to other ideas.

NO. ABSOLUTELY NO. No ***ing 'Battle of the B#$&'. I hate it every single time they say that and I am campaigning for it to stop. What bridge and why? Supposedly the ANZAC bridge but I don't have a clue why. The suggestion is that all the Swans fans are on one side and GWS fans on the other which insults all the Swans fans that live everywhere but the eastern suburbs (to say nothing of the GWS players who mostly do live in the east). I have raised this with some of the players, including Mills this pre-season, and Mills was very receptive and said something vague like "yeah absolutely!"

I'm comfortable with Sydney Derby and I'm open to other ideas.
Most of the Vic media wouldn't even know of the Anzac bridge and think it's the harbour bridge

I thought the most vile part was when I think Bartels comments on Buckley's sportsmanship in helping Heeney to flip on to his back/side on his return to earth and McGuire s******s and ruefully says something like "once upon a time you would have pole-driven him into the ground".
I was disgusted when I heard that. He's always been a Swans hater

I've never forgiven him over his comments on Goodes

Fox footy putting Hawks and Lions 1 and 2 on power rankings.

We see this every year...

There's been a lot more straight sets exits in the last decade than previously though hasn't there? I remember back in the day it was virtually unheard of, but now there's almost one a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back