Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough but need to look at ALL finals, not just where we lost. For instance we were way up in the 2023 PF and just hung on. Might be looking at effect rather than cause.
2023 Preliminary Final? We lost in the Elimination Final in 2023 unless I read that wrong?

I think our teams mantra 'just playing our role' doesn't translate well in Grand Finals. I reckon it takes that extra special something to push the team over the edge. It's not going to be a system thing in a huge game.

I think our teams mantra 'just playing our role' doesn't translate well in Grand Finals. I reckon it takes that extra special something to push the team over the edge. It's not going to be a system thing in a huge game.
The thing is we didn't play our role tho... Been many highlights of our players making uncharacteristic decisions in the granny. We definitely weren't beaten game plan wise, we were beaten by a team that were able to actually pull theirs off.

The simple answer is that is it's between the ears - the second they step onto the field the fear of losing takes over causing them to hope that those around them can lift. And when they all have that mindset (except fox), they all looks like deers in the headlight.

The thing is we didn't play our role tho... Been many highlights of our players making uncharacteristic decisions in the granny. We definitely weren't beaten game plan wise, we were beaten by a team that were able to actually pull theirs off.

The simple answer is that is it's between the ears - the second they step onto the field the fear of losing takes over causing them to hope that those around them can lift. And when they all have that mindset (except fox), they all looks like deers in the headlight.
They were able to pull their game plan off because of our game plan not to man up, allowing them to chip and overlap. They probably wondered why we were so generous.

Players get a get out of jail card?
Our defensive efforts were average all season long - our defensive running, our manning up, our tackling efforts, our non-existent at times forward pressure. We all knew this, it was no secret these were not the strengths of this team.

But Horse kept picking that team. Week in, week out, backing them in. Giving them games, in some cases giving them coaches votes, best and fairest votes, singing their praises in press conferences.

We then get to a grand final, and our defensive efforts are average - our defensive running, our manning up, our tackling efforts, our non-existent forward pressure.

So in response to your question of whether the players get a 'get out of jail' card... yes, they do. It was given to them by their coach.

Our defensive efforts were average all season long - our defensive running, our manning up, our tackling efforts, our non-existent at times forward pressure. We all knew this, it was no secret these were not the strengths of this team.

But Horse kept picking that team. Week in, week out, backing them in. Giving them games, in some cases giving them coaches votes, best and fairest votes, singing their praises in press conferences.

We then get to a grand final, and our defensive efforts are average - our defensive running, our manning up, our tackling efforts, our non-existent forward pressure.

So in response to your question of whether the players get a 'get out of jail' card... yes, they do. It was given to them by their coach.
See Kiama Chris?

I sit on my balcony and watch the whales going past. Is that what you meant?
I see lots of things but at the moment the main thing I see is a lot of anger and finger pointing.
When we were 13-1 our pressure was often off the charts. Then it fell away. I grant it might have been Horse but it might have been many things we know SFA about but it wasn't the whole season. The crash in those finals (2022 GF, 2023 EF and 2024 GF is probably worth a PHD thesis.

I sit on my balcony and watch the whales going past. Is that what you meant?
I see lots of things but at the moment the main thing I see is a lot of anger and finger pointing.
When we were 13-1 our pressure was often off the charts. Then it fell away. I grant it might have been Horse but it might have been many things we know SFA about but it wasn't the whole season. The crash in those finals (2022 GF, 2023 EF and 2024 GF is probably worth a PHD thesis.
I like whales. We get to see them in Warnambool during the winter. :)

Some of them have been there for the ride over those 9 seasons. Majority of team played in 22.

Yeah but this has been a problem through 7-8 years, sure some like Rampe, Parker, Lloyd are constant, but a lot of change to the playing group.

Yes they have to execute, and they wear blame, but at what point and through how many playing groups shitting the bed at the start of big games do we question the coach?

Longmire is not a good performer in finals, the evidence is overwhelming.

Watching that first quarter again and geez how rushed were we. It felt like the big occasion got to our heads a bit too much.

We were able to break the lines and get our running game going through a number of chains early on, but literally every time we blazed away. No look dump kicks galore to gain territory as well.

The frustrating is too we tended to start off games like this over the season, then the players were able to compose. None of that happened at all on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just the grand finals though, since 2016 under Horse we shit the bed in every final we lose with uncompetitive and uninspiring starts. It has also leaked into the regular season- Port, Dogs games especially this year , Saints game last year etc where for a half we aren't even competitive.

But just looking the first halves of losing finals since 2016 grand final we haven't passed 5 goals under horse in any of them

Sydney

Opponents

49.34. 328

Percentage of 43.

This is more than a grand final problem .

Just sometimes we manage to come back a bit and cover the cracks- eg Blues last year, but that's almost a decade of teams having us beaten by half time in finals. So people saying Horse only has a grand final problem are wrong imo, he has shown a real inability to get a side ready for finals . I also haven't even given consideration for a game like the Gws final this year where we were down by 21 and scored only 4 goals for the half.
Watching that first quarter again and geez how rushed were we. It felt like the big occasion got to our heads a bit too much.

We were able to break the lines and get our running game going through a number of chains early on, but literally every time we blazed away. No look dump kicks galore to gain territory as well.

The frustrating is too we tended to start off games like this over the season, then the players were able to compose. None of that happened at all on the day.
Which is why it can’t all be on the coaching staff (as much as they make me scratch my head) The players are also got questions to answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back