Sydney Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig Bolton to the flank and Ted to CHB.
Macca to the bench.
ROK in for Kizza.
No room for Mark of the Century? Wow!
Either way one heck of a team with some very good players missing out.
I completely forgot about ROK. He takes Jack's place.

Re Richards & Barry, I know it's almost blasphemous to say, but I always rated Grundy & Bolton more in their respective partnerships.

B - N. Smith, H. Grundy, D. Rampe
HB - N. Malceski, C. Bolton, J. McVeigh
C - A. Goodes, B. Kirk, N. Fosdike
HF - I. Heeney, L. Franklin, J. Bolton
F - T. Papley, B. Hall, M. O'Loughlin
Foll - D. Jolly, J. Kennedy, D. Hannebery

I/C - S. Maxfield, R. O'Keefe, L. Roberts-Thomson, T. Richards

Sub - K. Jack

Emg. - L. Parker, J. Ball, J. Lloyd, L. Barry

Fosdike over Jack, Parker and Lloyd? I'm an unabashed proponent of the "Nic Fosdike was underrated" narrative but I don't think I can even go with this.

I must admit I am surprised people are including Fosdike in our team. Don't get me wrong I thought he was a useful player but never did I even consider him to be worthy of being in the 21st Century team.
He was a gun. Hardly ever made a mistake. Did the basics well and his role each week. Was one of the first names I had in mine.

Too early to tell, considering the century isn't even 20% over yet.

Will revisit in 2100.

Too early to tell, considering the century isn't even 25% over yet.

Will revisit in 2100.

Too early to tell, considering the century isn't even 25% over yet.

Will revisit in 2100.

True but all of us will be pushing up daisies by then, and these discussions can be used by future generations in deciding who should be in the team of the century in 77 years time, assuming Bigfooty is still around.

Also hello future generations. I have been dead for many years by now, but remember me :cool:

Also what do people think of Gulden here? I know he is only a second year player and I know he does not have a huge body of work but based on his two years (especially 2023) I just couldn't leave him out of the team he is that good.
Not a chance IMO, and I love him (who doesn't?)

Frankly I think it's a little disrespectful to so many of the great players we had who were great for many years, not just one, to have Gulden ahead of them. I also think if the list overall performed better this year it would've brought Gulden's season into perspective more. If we're going off such a small sample size then Jetta would be the greatest wingman we've ever had for his 2012 season and Malceski our greatest ever half back for his 2014 season.

Frankly I think it's a little disrespectful to so many of the great players we had who were great for many years, not just one, to have Gulden ahead of them. I also think if the list overall performed better this year it would've brought Gulden's season into perspective more.

This forum suffers greatly from recency bias.

Frankly I think it's a little disrespectful to so many of the great players we had who were great for many years, not just one, to have Gulden ahead of them. I also think if the list overall performed better this year it would've brought Gulden's season into perspective more.
100% - very disrespectful to players who have played an entire career. Which is what this assessment is based on.

B: Nick Smith - Heath Grundy - Dane Rampe
HB: Jake Lloyd - Craig Bolton - Jarrad McVeigh
C: Dan Hannebery - Brett Kirk - Jared Crouch
HF: Ryan O'Keefe - Lance Franklin - Jude Bolton
F: Tom Papley - Barry Hall - Michael O'Loughlin
R: Darren Jolly - Adam Goodes - Josh Kennedy

I/C: Nick Malceski - Luke Parker - Kieren Jack - Ted Richards

Emer: Callum Mills - Isaac Heeney - Leo Barry - Rhyce Shaw

Next best: Ben Mathews - Tadhg Kennelly - Jason Ball - Lewis Roberts-Thomson

Depth: Nic Fosdike - Amon Buchanan - Marty Mattner - Ben McGlynn

His own category for respect (but also I just couldn't squeeze him into the 22 and didn't want to make him an emergency or depth player because of how much I love him): Stuart Maxfield

I'd back this side to take on any other club's best 22 of the past 23 years and be superior. Very well balanced group of players right here.

Last edited:
B - N. Smith, H. Grundy, D. Rampe
HB - N. Malceski, C. Bolton, J. McVeigh
C - A. Goodes, B. Kirk, N. Fosdike
HF - I. Heeney, L. Franklin, J. Bolton
F - T. Papley, B. Hall, M. O'Loughlin
Foll - D. Jolly, J. Kennedy, D. Hannebery

I/C - S. Maxfield, R. O'Keefe, L. Roberts-Thomson, T. Richards

Sub - K. Jack

Emg. - L. Parker, J. Ball, J. Lloyd, L. Barry
Jolly was not in Balls class and was weak as piss

I don't think it is disrespectful as Gulden was amazing this year. There has not been a player in the Swans guernsey over the last 23 years that has been quite like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mattner will need to make way on the bench for Parker.

B: Smith, Richards, Roberts-Thomson
HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, O'Keefe
HF: Papley, Franklin, Davis
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, Heeney
Foll: Ball, Kennedy, Kirk
Int: Parker, Gulden, J.Bolton, Mills

Can't bring in Crouch, because as good as he was, I have Kirk in the side and he can definitely play the tagger role if needed. Don't need two taggers in the side.
Just remember Crouch did the forward pests like Acker and Kirk did midfielders

ANd really shouldn't , how anyone can have Heens over some of the others is beyond me , love him , but goes missing too often .
king will put Wayward in to annoy me

I wasn't too happy with the Heeney selection to be honest either but I couldn't think of another forward to put in there. Perhaps move O'Keefe forward and add a mid?

C: Goodes, Jack, Hannebery
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe

Unlucky - Mattner, Shaw, McGlynn, Crouch, Barry, Jolly, Grundy, Heeney

I don't think it is disrespectful as Gulden was amazing this year. There has not been a player in the Swans guernsey over the last 23 years that has been quite like him.
With all due respect I don't really know what to say to this. This probably belongs in Gulden's player thread, I just think his season this year was such a standout because he was the standout player in a squad that showed very little improvement outside of a few young key forwards (McLean, McDonald) and defenders (Blakey, Campbell)

C: Goodes, Jack, Hannebery
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe

Unlucky - Mattner, Shaw, McGlynn, Crouch, Barry, Jolly, Grundy, Heeney
McGlynn lol

With all due respect I don't really know what to say to this. This probably belongs in Gulden's player thread, I just think his season this year was such a standout because he was the standout player in a squad that showed very little improvement outside of a few young key forwards (McLean, McDonald) and defenders (Blakey, Campbell)

He was the clear standout player in his third season in a team that finished inside the 8.

Look at the AA's we have had in the 21st century.

2000 - O'Loughlin
2003 - Goodes, Williams
2004 - Hall, Kirk, Barry
2005 - Hall, Barry
2006 - C.Bolton, Goodes, Hall, O'Keefe
2009 - C.Bolton, Goodes
2011 - Goodes
2012 - Kennedy, Richards
2013 - Hannebery, Jack, McVeigh
2014 - Franklin, Kennedy, Smith, Malceski
2015 - Hannebery
2016 - Franklin, Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, Rampe
2017 - Franklin
2018 - Franklin
2021 - Papley
2022 - Heeney, Mills, Papley, Warner
2023 - Gulden

I wouldn't consider Warner yet due to the fact he had a down year, but everyone else on this list should be in the discussion.

B: N.Smith H.Grundy D.Rampe
HB: T.Kennelly T.Richards L.Barry
C: J.Kennedy A.Goodes L.Parker
HF: K.Jack L.Franklin R.O'Keefe
F: B.McGlynn B.Hall N.Davis
R: M.Pyke J.Bolton D.Hanneberry

Int: L.Jetta J.McVeigh B.Kirk L.Roberts-Thompson

Emg: C.Mills, N.Fosdike, J.Lloyd, C.Bolton

Leaving out Micky O doesn't feel quite right - but such is life.

I was a huge fan of McGlynn - controversial, but I have him ahead of Papley (just).

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back