Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think HF could be a go for him if we get a logjam at HBF with McGrath, D'Ambrosia, Laverde (when we play a 2nd tall KPD), Cox, etc.

Good roost, hard running, has the defensive edge about him.
He's every bit as good as McGrath as a half back (yes I'm going there) and better than Laverde as an offensive weapon.
Drafted as a forward, but he played forward, mid and back as a junior. Modelled his game after Goddard – the comparison wasn't just about his face and complexion.

Most of the Goddard comparisons were for Francis, not Redman. The comparisons to Goddard were purely face and complexion.

Mosquito's knee isn't what stopped his career.

Every player gets injuries. His lack of professionalism was the issue and could have been forseen.
At the time too we had Tippa on a great run of games and form, Smith off a B&F and Green as an alright option
Bypassing Bytel for a Mosquito bid when we really needed for midfield depth was unwise.

He's every bit as good as McGrath as a half back (yes I'm going there) and better than Laverde as an offensive weapon.
Do agree. But as you say, better offensive weapon than both. Hence if you had to shuffle deckchairs, I'd opt for Redman out of defence before Laverde and probably McGrath too as he'd impact more than the other two.

Do agree. But as you say, better offensive weapon than both. Hence if you had to shuffle deckchairs, I'd opt for Redman out of defence before Laverde and probably McGrath too as he'd impact more than the other two.
You need offensive weapons off half back. For me we keep him there.

Every player gets injuries. His lack of professionalism was the issue and could have been forseen.

He’s still on the list if he doesn’t do his knee, 1000%.

Could have worked on his professionalism and ethic but doing his knee at that particular juncture was curtains.

Even if we correct our numerical imbalance with a big draft haul of miss this year we might not see our list come to fruition until the 2020 talls turn 23 and the 2022 smalls turn 21. Which is 2025.

Feels like a long, slow rebuild.

Except until his knee injury there hadn't been any particular issue stopping him becoming an AFL player.

Doing the work whilst fit, is very different to doing the work to rehab. Players have often spoken about the loneliness of long-term injury rehab and how mentally taxing it is.

Was it foreseeable at the time of drafting is the question? You claiming it was based on hindsight isn't compelling.

Many young kids, especially those from remote areas with fairly substantial cultural difference need time and additional support to really make it at AFL level, that's not a barrier to drafting them as it's something that's very doable. We've traditionally done well with guys from Aboriginal backgrounds.

Whilst I'm pretty sure you're taking the piss, our strength and conditioning post saga has been pathetic. We've been scared to put weight on players and/or condition them correctly so that they're smaller and less fit than the opposition.

Yes I was, and I agree with the rest too. Strength/Conditioning/Medical have been shithouse. Why do we keep getting so many injuries? At some point it moves beyond bad luck.

Except until his knee injury there hadn't been any particular issue stopping him becoming an AFL player.

Doing the work whilst fit, is very different to doing the work to rehab. Players have often spoken about the loneliness of long-term injury rehab and how mentally taxing it is.

Was it foreseeable at the time of drafting is the question? You claiming it was based on hindsight isn't compelling.

Many young kids, especially those from remote areas with fairly substantial cultural difference need time and additional support to really make it at AFL level, that's not a barrier to drafting them as it's something that's very doable. We've traditionally done well with guys from Aboriginal backgrounds.
"Isn't compelling" LOL. It might be enough to say that you personally disagree rather than framing your opinion as an objective certainty.

Why did Hawthorn pass? They knew Irving better than us.

I am aware that people from remote areas often need additional support to make it. It would be dangerous and incorrect to assume that the support required is similar in nature and extent from person to person. To say it's "very doable" because it's been done before with other Aboriginal kids ignores individual differences. I have no doubt that Irving's ability to get up to the level would have been part of the EFC due diligence, but they got it wrong.

The injury was unlucky ...but not very unlucky. Many young players miss significant footy in their first few years as their bodies adjust to the rigours. EFC must have considered this as a possibility and they took a chance that Hawthorn decided against.

Sometimes you take a chance and fail. Bottom line, a decision to recruit a player who wasn't professional enough to be able to rehab a long term injury can't get a pass mark.

I sincerely wish it had worked. I was so excited and grateful to see Irving debut. Still brings a smile.

Most of the Goddard comparisons were for Francis, not Redman. The comparisons to Goddard were purely face and complexion.
You're spending a lot of effort trying to refute one sentence of my post and I really don't see much point in wasting more time on it, but I would recommend googling it if you don't believe me. He modelled his game on Goddard.

Bottom line, a decision to recruit a player who wasn't professional enough to be able to rehab a long term injury can't get a pass mark.

See, it's statements like this that I was getting at. You're trying to claim something as fact, in hindsight, with no real knowledge whatsoever of what was known at the time.

Hawthorn didn't rate him at the selection Essendon bid on him, that's all we know. If you want an academy player, you have to bid on them early enough that the club holding bid rights either can't match, or won't match. That doesn't say anything about whether the player is or is not unprofessional.

You don't draft a player assuming they'll need to rehab from an ACL during a pandemic. You draft them because you think they're likely to be an AFL standard player.

You're trying to argue that at the time of drafting the club should have known that Irving would get an LTI, struggle with the rehab requirements, in a pandemic, and ultimately decide to retire instead. And that somehow Hawthorn not matching was indicative that they knew this.

It's a very long bow to draw. One I disagree with, yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna do another one of these super delusional with the recent re-signings:

2 years: Andrew McGrath, Kaine Baldwin, Massimo D'Ambrosio, Matt Guelfi
1 year: Cian McBride, Cody Brand, James Stewart, Josh Eyre, Jye Menzie, Patrick Voss, Tex Wanganeen, Tom Hird

Delist: Alec Waterman, Brayden Ham, Tom Cutler, Garrett McDonagh*
Retire: Andrew Phillips (possibly), Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley

*Still unsure about his contract status but I'd take the 75k hit to the salary cap next year, not as if we don't have the room

Free Agency:

1. Angus Brayshaw 4 million over 5 years, first two years worth 1 mill each
2. Daniel Howe 2 year deal worht 700k-ish

Trade:

1. Aaron Francis and F5 for pick 55 (Port Adelaide)
2. Darcy Parish and Devon Smith for pick 14 and F1 (Geelong)
3. Dylan Shiel and pick 21 for pick 13 (St. Kilda)
4. Zach Merrett for pick 10 and F1 (Richmond)
5. Pick 14 and F1 (Geelong) for Josh Dunkley
6. F3 for Jack Bytel

Draft (with the Ashcroft bid included):

Pick 4: Elijah Tsatas
Pick 11: Mattaes Phillipou
Pick 14: Anthony Munkara
Pick 16: Alwyn Davey (bid from Carlton, matched with 38, 53 and 55 with 51.4 points left over)
Pick 45: Jayden Davy (bid from whoever, matched with 51.4 leftover points and a pick in the 60's by then

Rookie Draft:

Pick 3: Project ruckman

DFA/SSP: Half back flanker

Defence:

Key Defenders: Nik Cox (fwd), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Zach Reid, Josh Eyre (fwd), Cody Brand, Cian McBride (fwd/ruc)
Medium Defenders: Jordan Ridley, Jayden Laverde, Jake Kelly
Small Defenders: Nick Hind, Mason Redman, Alastair Lord, Massimo D'Ambrosio, DFA/SSP

Midfield:

Inside Midfielders: Jye Caldwell (fwd), Ben Hobbs (fwd), Archie Perkins (fwd), Angus Brayshaw (def), Josh Dunkley (fwd), Jack Bytel, Daniel Howe (fwd), Elijah Tsatas
Outside Midfielders: Andrew McGrath (def), Kyle Langford (fwd), Sam Durham, Nic Martin (fwd), Tom Hird (fwd), Mattaes Phillipou (fwd)
Rucks: Sam Draper, Nick Bryan (fwd), RD3

Forward:

Key Forwards: James Stewart (def), Peter Wright (ruc), Harrison Jones, Kaine Baldwin
Medium Forwards: Jake Stringer (mid), Patrick Voss (def), Anthony Munkara
Small Forwards: Will Snelling (mid), Matt Guelfi (mid), Tex Wanganeen, Jye Menzie, Alwyn Davey (mid), Jayden Davey

Seniors:

FB: Jordan Ridley - Cody Brand - Jake Kelly
HB: Mason Redman - Zachary Reid - Massimo D'Ambrosio
MF: Kyle Langford - Josh Dunkley - Nic Martin
HF: Ben Hobbs - Harrison Jones - Will Snelling
FF: Jake Stringer - Peter Wright - Jye Menzie
OB: Sam Draper - Jye Caldwell - Angus Brayshaw
IC: Jack Bytel - Archie Perkins - Jayden Laverde - Andrew McGrath
MS: Sam Durham

Reserves:

FB: Nik Cox - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Josh Eyre
HB: Nick Hind - Cian McBride -Alastair Lord
MF: Mattaes Phillipou - Elijah Tsatas - Tom Hird
HF: Anthony Munkara - James Stewart - Alwyn Davey
FF: Jayden Davey - Kaine Baldwin - Tex Wanganeen
OB: Nick Bryan - Daniel Howe - Matt Guelfi
IC: Patrick Voss - DFA/SSP - RD3

I've done some projections on Brand, D'Ambrosio and Menzie in particular, I can comfortably see Cox replacing Brand as the second key defender whilst Menzie could be filled by Tex or Alwyn just as easily, or even Stewart if we wanted to go taller.

He’s still on the list if he doesn’t do his knee, 1000%.

Could have worked on his professionalism and ethic but doing his knee at that particular juncture was curtains.

See, it's statements like this that I was getting at. You're trying to claim something as fact, in hindsight, with no real knowledge whatsoever of what was known at the time.

Hawthorn didn't rate him at the selection Essendon bid on him, that's all we know. If you want an academy player, you have to bid on them early enough that the club holding bid rights either can't match, or won't match. That doesn't say anything about whether the player is or is not unprofessional.

You don't draft a player assuming they'll need to rehab from an ACL during a pandemic. You draft them because you think they're likely to be an AFL standard player.

You're trying to argue that at the time of drafting the club should have known that Irving would get an LTI, struggle with the rehab requirements, in a pandemic, and ultimately decide to retire instead. And that somehow Hawthorn not matching was indicative that they knew this.

It's a very long bow to draw. One I disagree with, yes.
No.

That's not what I'm arguing. I feel like a lot of people say this to you - but read again what I wrote.

I'm saying that so many players have long term injuries that part of any club's assessment of any player must include consideration of how they might manage a long term injury.

As Zach Package said if he doesn't get injured, he's still on the list. Yep. But let's look across recent first and second round recruits (because I CBF going through all picks). Jones, Reid, Cox - all LTIs in their first two years. That leaves Hobbs and Perkins. And Hobbs is still in year one.

I'm not saying they should have known that Irving would definitely get an LTI, but yes, I do believe part of a good recruitment decision must be an accurate assessment as to whether a player might struggle with rehab.

Fair enough as to your points on why Hawthorn passed. When you look at his undeniable talent, Occam's Razor says Hawthorn passed because of Irving's professionalism. But I can't know that.

Fortunately I don't need that to be true for my argument to be right. I don't need to know the context of the time, because the facts in the public domain are undeniable. Irving got injured and didn't make it through. Certainly not the recruiting team's worst error, and a degree of bad luck is involved. I'm sure they are not losing sleep. But they rolled the dice and lost.

That's not what I'm arguing. I feel like a lot of people say this to you - but read again what I wrote.

I did. And responded to it.

I'm saying that so many players have long term injuries that part of any club's assessment of any player must include consideration of how they might manage a long term injury.

Sure. But an LTI. During a pandemic. Very unique, unprecedented even, situation. We also had a number of Irish players go home because of it.

Occam's Razor says Hawthorn passed because of Irving's professionalism. But I can't know that.

Occam's Razor says they passed because they didn't value him at the selection Essendon bid on him. Nothing more.

Fortunately I don't need that to be true for my argument to be right.

You kinda do though. Judging in hindsight, based on something that couldn't be known at the time, is a flawed argument.

I don't need to know the context of the time

See above. You kinda do.

Certainly not the recruiting team's worst error, and a degree of bad luck is involved.

So if it's bad luck, then it's something that couldn't be known at the time.

"Isn't compelling" LOL. It might be enough to say that you personally disagree rather than framing your opinion as an objective certainty.

I am aware that people from remote areas often need additional support to make it. It would be dangerous and incorrect to assume that the support required is similar in nature and extent from person to person. To say it's "very doable" because it's been done before with other Aboriginal kids ignores individual differences. I have no doubt that Irving's ability to get up to the level would have been part of the EFC due diligence, but they got it wrong.

The injury was unlucky ...but not very unlucky. Many young players miss significant footy in their first few years as their bodies adjust to the rigours. EFC must have considered this as a possibility and they took a chance that Hawthorn decided against.

Sometimes you take a chance and fail. Bottom line, a decision to recruit a player who wasn't professional enough to be able to rehab a long term injury can't get a pass mark.

I sincerely wish it had worked. I was so excited and grateful to see Irving debut. Still brings a smile.
I think the crux of the issue with Mosquito was professionalism, but the reason it became such a problem was because he got a severe long term injury in his second year after playing only a couple of games, in a hub at the beginning of a pandemic that never seemed like it was going to end, while I'm sure his friends and family in the NT weren't in lockdown and could do what normal 20 year old kids do, going out and having fun.

It's not like they're born as professional footballers, lots of kids come in with professionalism issues and need to learn what their body can and should do and work within those limitations to strengthen weak muscle groups or develop their endurance – eat right, sleep right, train right, get yourself in the right frame of mind to perform on game day. While Hawthorn may have had a more detailed knowledge of his circumstances, I don't think Essendon would be unaware of it.

The club backing themselves in to get him right for a professional football career in November 2018 and then trying to execute it with 40% less funding, half your staff laid off, players stuck in lockdowns for months and then thrown into a toxic hub scenario, then throw in a torn ACL is a totally different set of circumstances than anyone foresaw in 2018.

I think if he'd got that injury after 5 years in the system you'd call it a win – either he'd have the professionalism by that point to overcome it, or you'd have got 80 games out of him and put it down as a plus even if he doesn't make it back to footy. Fantasia only played 80 games for us and I wouldn't call that a bad pick at 55 really, even without trading him home.

Sure it can be argued we need to have 3 (plus 2MP) but are you happy with this particular pick or would you have done things differently (looked at a rookie selection or another mature backup)?

And what about the rest of the talls and list balance? Do you think we have set ourselves up well in this build so far?
Short answer. I have no issues with the how they drafted Bryan. My opinion is it was a good move.

No.

As Zach Package said if he doesn't get injured, he's still on the list. Yep. But let's look across recent first and second round recruits (because I CBF going through all picks). Jones, Reid, Cox - all LTIs in their first two years. That leaves Hobbs and Perkins. And Hobbs is still in year one.

I'm not saying they should have known that Irving would definitely get an LTI, but yes, I do believe part of a good recruitment decision must be an accurate assessment as to whether a player might struggle with rehab.

Fair enough as to your points on why Hawthorn passed. When you look at his undeniable talent, Occam's Razor says Hawthorn passed because of Irving's professionalism. But I can't know that.

Fortunately I don't need that to be true for my argument to be right. I don't need to know the context of the time, because the facts in the public domain are undeniable. Irving got injured and didn't make it through. Certainly not the recruiting team's worst error, and a degree of bad luck is involved. I'm sure they are not losing sleep. But they rolled the dice and lost.

What’s the Nicholas Cage movie?

The unbearable weight of massive talent?

Risk weighed against ability, need, draft position, the other selections we had.

Hawks only took one further selection so maybe that played into thinking as well.

I back that pick in even with hindsight.

Anyone pay for herald sun? There is an article there d today analysing our list

AFL 2022: Essendon list analysis, top free agency targets analysed​

With Andrew McGrath likely to re-sign despite rival interest, we look at which players Essendon could move on to fast-track its rebuild.

Michael Malthouse boldly declared Essendon his premiership favourite this year but the reality is the Bombers are in year two of a rebuild.
There is a nucleus of exciting young talent such as Nik Cox, Archie Perkins, Zach Reid, Harry Jones and Ben Hobbs, and another high-end talent will walk through the door this year. But there are also big holes to fill.

Essendon need a key forward, a small pressure forward and a quality rebounding defender. Another big-bodied clearance winner would also be handy but Hobbs could blossom into that type of player.

It’s not all going to happen at once, and who knows what would have been in store if they had actually held on to Adam Saad, Joe Daniher and Orazio Fantasia amid the hub debacle?

When they left, it called for another list reset.

That was on top of the one that had to happen on the back of the supplement scandal.

It’s been a trying time for the Bombers who haven’t won a final since 2004.

But the future looks bright, and when they get 60-80 games into Cox and Co those young cornerstone players will start to deliver more consistently and the real climb up the ladder can begin.

The defence has also been a headache for Essendon for years and Reid is important to the long-term defensive plans.

There is also pressure on the game style and coaching department to embed a system that can be counted on to stymie the opposition.

Credit to the club for unearthing Nic Martin, who is one of the frontrunners for the Rising Star award, as well as Will Snelling and Sam Durham from the mid-season draft.

They found Sam Draper from nowhere, too, and he could yet become a key leader for the club as well as one of the league’s best ruckmen.

But the bumpy ride is set to continue for a couple more years yet as they look to draft in another outstanding youngster and target some key role players in the 23-26-year-old bracket.

Who is out of contract?

ANDREW McGRATH

The No. 1 draft pick previously hailed as a captain-in-waiting at Essendon is making the Bombers sweat on a new deal.

Richmond and St Kilda have been linked to moves on McGrath but the Bombers are unlikely to consider trading the dashing defender/rebounder.

Has been OK without setting the world on fire this season, but the whole Essendon midfield has underperformed, with Ben Rutten demanding a lift from his senior core.

AARON FRANCIS

Faces an uncertain future at Essendon after being dropped on the back of a pair of four-possession games.

The Bombers originally took him at pick six but could consider off-loading the South Australian swingman when his contract expires at season’s end.

Had a couple of big games in defence in previous years, but the Bombers have swung him into attack this year without much success.

The South Australian clubs may be tempted to offer up a late second or third-round pick or thereabouts for the 24-year-old who has played 54 career games.

TOM CUTLER

Dropped for the round 11 clash against Port Adelaide after 15 possessions in the 32-point loss to Richmond the week before.

Came across from Brisbane Lions at the end of 2019, but has been in and out of the team on the wing.

Essendon face big decisions on which players can take the club forward.

Which Bombers are up for grabs?

Devon Smith has one year left to run on his deal but will be up for trade at season’s end.

The question is whether there will be any takers amid an ongoing battle with a knee injury. Won a best and fairest applying white-hot tackling pressure in a forward-midfield role but it seems some of that sting has gone from his legs.

Very good player in his prime.

The Bombers coughed up two first-round picks for Dylan Shiel but the jet midfielder hasn’t had the impact he would have liked in recent seasons.

He was mocked by Sydney Swans hard nut Luke Parker for a contest at the SCG in Round 9, but even if the Bombers wanted to drop him from the best 23 there hasn’t been the depth of talent or performance at VFL level to bring in adequate replacements.

Has two more years to run on a mega six-year deal.

The Bombers have shown plenty of faith in Aaron Francis but there will likely be an opportunity to pursue a fresh start if he wants one.

Who the Bombers should target?

After missing out on Harry McKay and Ben King, it is clear the Bombers need a key forward to replace Joe Daniher, who moved to Brisbane.

But Essendon will not want to part with its top draft pick this either in a blockbuster trade, unless they can get someone like Melbourne’s Sam Weideman on the cheap, or as part of the Francis swap.

He is an obvious target and would be guaranteed to play every game in red and black. Brisbane’s Dan McStay is a free agent and would cost nothing in terms of a trade but there is a big queue for his signature.

The Bombers need a small pressure forward to replace Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Isaac Mosquito.

West Coast’s Jack Petruccelle may appeal as well as Melbourne’s Toby Bedford from left field, but the big watch is on GWS Giant Bobby Hill, who was unsuccessful in his bid to cross to Essendon in last year’s trade period.

Hill is recovering from surgery to remove testicular cancer. There is no time frame on his return.

The final target for Essendon is a sweet-kicking half back to bolster their rebounding stocks. The Dogs are faced with a salary cap squeeze, meaning free agent Bailey Dale is looming large for rivals.

Dale would fit in beautifully at The Hangar, with ample cap space to accommodate a long-term contract.

Free agents

DYSON HEPPELL (Unrestricted)

Captains rarely leave their clubs, especially ones who have shown as much loyalty as Dyson Heppell over the journey.

He could have bailed amid the supplements saga but stayed to help hold the club together. Deserves another crack at finals before he retires, but Essendon may only want to commit to a one-year extension at this point.

MICHAEL HURLEY (Unrestricted)

Expected to retire at season’s end after a nasty blood infection stemming from a hip issue wiped out his 2021 season.

Trying to build in his return but it seems a long shot that he will get a comeback game at AFL level.

Hopefully he plays another competitive game in the VFL. Turned down a whopping offer from the Bulldogs to stay at Tullamarine at his peak.

ALEC WATERMAN(Unrestricted)

Fringe player has been handy at times in the forward half, booting eight goals in the first three games of this season. Only 25 years old and is clearly enough to continue on at the top level with a bit of luck on the injury front. Hasn’t been easy playing forward in the red and black this year.

What’s the Nicholas Cage movie?

The unbearable weight of massive talent?

Risk weighed against ability, need, draft position, the other selections we had.

Hawks only took one further selection so maybe that played into thinking as well.

I back that pick in even with hindsight.
Elegantly put. Would have been so great if it worked.

Elegantly put. Would have been so great if it worked.

Bloody oath it would have, was very plain to see that he has genuinely rare talent but sometimes it just doesn’t align.

I must have missed something big time with Mosquito. Talked about on here like some sort of generational talent. I just saw a quick player and another poor kick.

Isn't there a strong body of evidence that players that kick tumblers are always going to have limited value at AFL level? If he had the foot skills of a Fantasia or Tippa then sure - but he was at the opposite end of the spectrum and that's not what our list was screaming for anywhere on the park.

Last edited:
I must have missed something big time with Mosquito. Talked about on here like some sort of generational talent. I just saw a quick player and another poor kick.

Isn't there a strong body of evidence that players that kick tumblers are always going to have limited value at AFL level? If he had the foot skills of a Fantasia or Tippa then sure - but he was at the opposite end of the spectrum and that's not what our list was screaming for anywhere on the park.
He had a unique name and that’s about it, people talking like he was the next Eddie betts..

AFL 2022: Essendon list analysis, top free agency targets analysed​

With Andrew McGrath likely to re-sign despite rival interest, we look at which players Essendon could move on to fast-track its rebuild.

Michael Malthouse boldly declared Essendon his premiership favourite this year but the reality is the Bombers are in year two of a rebuild.
There is a nucleus of exciting young talent such as Nik Cox, Archie Perkins, Zach Reid, Harry Jones and Ben Hobbs, and another high-end talent will walk through the door this year. But there are also big holes to fill.

Essendon need a key forward, a small pressure forward and a quality rebounding defender. Another big-bodied clearance winner would also be handy but Hobbs could blossom into that type of player.

It’s not all going to happen at once, and who knows what would have been in store if they had actually held on to Adam Saad, Joe Daniher and Orazio Fantasia amid the hub debacle?

When they left, it called for another list reset.

That was on top of the one that had to happen on the back of the supplement scandal.

It’s been a trying time for the Bombers who haven’t won a final since 2004.

But the future looks bright, and when they get 60-80 games into Cox and Co those young cornerstone players will start to deliver more consistently and the real climb up the ladder can begin.

The defence has also been a headache for Essendon for years and Reid is important to the long-term defensive plans.

There is also pressure on the game style and coaching department to embed a system that can be counted on to stymie the opposition.

Credit to the club for unearthing Nic Martin, who is one of the frontrunners for the Rising Star award, as well as Will Snelling and Sam Durham from the mid-season draft.

They found Sam Draper from nowhere, too, and he could yet become a key leader for the club as well as one of the league’s best ruckmen.

But the bumpy ride is set to continue for a couple more years yet as they look to draft in another outstanding youngster and target some key role players in the 23-26-year-old bracket.

Who is out of contract?

ANDREW McGRATH

The No. 1 draft pick previously hailed as a captain-in-waiting at Essendon is making the Bombers sweat on a new deal.

Richmond and St Kilda have been linked to moves on McGrath but the Bombers are unlikely to consider trading the dashing defender/rebounder.

Has been OK without setting the world on fire this season, but the whole Essendon midfield has underperformed, with Ben Rutten demanding a lift from his senior core.

AARON FRANCIS

Faces an uncertain future at Essendon after being dropped on the back of a pair of four-possession games.

The Bombers originally took him at pick six but could consider off-loading the South Australian swingman when his contract expires at season’s end.

Had a couple of big games in defence in previous years, but the Bombers have swung him into attack this year without much success.

The South Australian clubs may be tempted to offer up a late second or third-round pick or thereabouts for the 24-year-old who has played 54 career games.

TOM CUTLER

Dropped for the round 11 clash against Port Adelaide after 15 possessions in the 32-point loss to Richmond the week before.

Came across from Brisbane Lions at the end of 2019, but has been in and out of the team on the wing.

Essendon face big decisions on which players can take the club forward.

Which Bombers are up for grabs?

Devon Smith has one year left to run on his deal but will be up for trade at season’s end.

The question is whether there will be any takers amid an ongoing battle with a knee injury. Won a best and fairest applying white-hot tackling pressure in a forward-midfield role but it seems some of that sting has gone from his legs.

Very good player in his prime.

The Bombers coughed up two first-round picks for Dylan Shiel but the jet midfielder hasn’t had the impact he would have liked in recent seasons.

He was mocked by Sydney Swans hard nut Luke Parker for a contest at the SCG in Round 9, but even if the Bombers wanted to drop him from the best 23 there hasn’t been the depth of talent or performance at VFL level to bring in adequate replacements.

Has two more years to run on a mega six-year deal.

The Bombers have shown plenty of faith in Aaron Francis but there will likely be an opportunity to pursue a fresh start if he wants one.

Who the Bombers should target?

After missing out on Harry McKay and Ben King, it is clear the Bombers need a key forward to replace Joe Daniher, who moved to Brisbane.

But Essendon will not want to part with its top draft pick this either in a blockbuster trade, unless they can get someone like Melbourne’s Sam Weideman on the cheap, or as part of the Francis swap.

He is an obvious target and would be guaranteed to play every game in red and black. Brisbane’s Dan McStay is a free agent and would cost nothing in terms of a trade but there is a big queue for his signature.

The Bombers need a small pressure forward to replace Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Isaac Mosquito.

West Coast’s Jack Petruccelle may appeal as well as Melbourne’s Toby Bedford from left field, but the big watch is on GWS Giant Bobby Hill, who was unsuccessful in his bid to cross to Essendon in last year’s trade period.

Hill is recovering from surgery to remove testicular cancer. There is no time frame on his return.

The final target for Essendon is a sweet-kicking half back to bolster their rebounding stocks. The Dogs are faced with a salary cap squeeze, meaning free agent Bailey Dale is looming large for rivals.

Dale would fit in beautifully at The Hangar, with ample cap space to accommodate a long-term contract.

Free agents

DYSON HEPPELL (Unrestricted)

Captains rarely leave their clubs, especially ones who have shown as much loyalty as Dyson Heppell over the journey.

He could have bailed amid the supplements saga but stayed to help hold the club together. Deserves another crack at finals before he retires, but Essendon may only want to commit to a one-year extension at this point.

MICHAEL HURLEY (Unrestricted)

Expected to retire at season’s end after a nasty blood infection stemming from a hip issue wiped out his 2021 season.

Trying to build in his return but it seems a long shot that he will get a comeback game at AFL level.

Hopefully he plays another competitive game in the VFL. Turned down a whopping offer from the Bulldogs to stay at Tullamarine at his peak.

ALEC WATERMAN(Unrestricted)

Fringe player has been handy at times in the forward half, booting eight goals in the first three games of this season. Only 25 years old and is clearly enough to continue on at the top level with a bit of luck on the injury front. Hasn’t been easy playing forward in the red and black this year.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back