Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d keep Eyre but delist McDounagh and pay him out if necessary.

Key backs next year
Reid, BZT, Brand, Eyre, Laverde

Key forwards next year
Wright, Jones, Baldwin, Stewart, Voss and hopefully a new draftee

Out of contract 2023;

Cody Brand - Keep +1
Tom Cutler. - Delist
Josh Eyre. - Delist
Aaron Francis - Trade / Delist
Matt Guelfi - Keep +1 yr
Brayden Ham - Delist
Dyson Heppel - Retire
Michael Hurley - Retire
Andrew McGrath - Keep +2 yr
Andrew Phillips. - keep +1 yr
James Stewart. - Keep +1 yr

(Of the rookies out of contract that could be in trouble)
Tom Hird (Cat B) - Keep +1 yr
Cian McBride (Cat B) - Keep +1 yr
Alec Waterman - Delist

If someone can explain the rookie situation to me, that'd be great. I know Lore and eth-dog are usually all over list spots so they could help out more. We have an abundance of rookies it looks like. Baldwin, D'Ambrosia, Durham (elevated), Martin (Elevated), Menzie, Voss, Wanganeen I all expect to stay.

IF a rookie has signed an extension, do they get elevated? Im unsure of that. Would help a lot if they were maintained as rookies (see Martin, Durham).

We would then have 6 spots open on the main list, upgrade Martin & Durham, (4 open).

Picks - 3, 21, 39 and 57 to the draft with the ability to match Alwyn Davey Jnr, Jayden Davey, Anthony Munkara (outside 40) and a host of borderline draftee's from our NGA academy as Cat B's if we open up a spot on that list.
we gonna get that lucky with Munkara?

Eyre is a young tall, so should get time. That said, he's also a young KPD by the sounds of things, and we have a lot of them (Reid, Cox, Brand, Zerk, Ridley...who's he displacing?). Maybe he gets a year and we assess Zerk v Eyre end of '23.

Phillips & Hird I'd delist.
Something tells me Hepp gets a year or two.
Same net position in terms of picks available.

From the other thread, sounds highly unlikely, would be an absolute gift if so;

Fitness issues - particularly for a guy who only moved down from the Tiwis 18 months ago - will likely factor every little into his talent evaluation.

Clubs will expect they have work to do to build up his tank, but what will ensure he goes before pick 40 is all the athletic traits you cant teach that he seems to have - speed, agility, evasivelness and an ability to leap.

You take him for what he could be after 2+ years in your system (which appears to be just about anything knowing his tank will be one key area of development

I think any chances of him going inside pick 40 is very very little.

Only changes I would make is I am probably going to give Eyre one more year and let Phillips go. Harsh on Flipper but Sam and Nick can take control of the ruck. McBride can be the third guy. If we get down to the fourth ruck we are ducked anyway but Stewart / Cox / Reid . Maybe rookie a ruck.
I have seen enough of Hird to say my opinion is he will not get there.

Edit.2MP third ruck. :cool:
Im of the opinion that we can't keep this log jam of key defenders continuing. We could only really carry 2 (maybe at a stretch 3) of Stewart, Reid, Eyre, Brand, McBride as a key defender.

If we decide any of these are better suited as forwards (looks at Josh Eyre and Jim Stewart) then so be it if we keep them. I just don't believe in the log jam we currently have going on.

I like where Tom Hird has gotten to from where he began. Without being an educated AFL observer, Hird seems to get into reasonable spots, has shots on goal and has improved the physical side of his game from those very early games last year. A debut would be bloody brilliant for the Hird name at Essendon

Eyre is a young tall, so should get time. That said, he's also a young KPD by the sounds of things, and we have a lot of them (Reid, Cox, Brand, Zerk, Ridley...who's he displacing?). Maybe he gets a year and we assess Zerk v Eyre end of '23.

Phillips & Hird I'd delist.
Something tells me Hepp gets a year or two.
Same net position in terms of picks available.

Forgot about Zerk.

Defensive depth - Zerk, Reid, Brand (Eyre)

Forward depth - Stewart, Baldwin, Eyre (Reid)

Just the way I see it. Only one of Zerk/Reid, Stewart/Baldwin and then Eyre/Brand. Opens up two list spots for correcting other roles on the list I would be looking to cover

Forgot about Zerk.

Defensive depth - Zerk, Reid, Brand (Eyre)

Forward depth - Stewart, Baldwin, Eyre (Reid)

Just the way I see it. Only one of Zerk/Reid, Stewart/Baldwin and then Eyre/Brand. Opens up two list spots for correcting other roles on the list I would be looking to cover
For me stewart stays. He should be forward until baldwin is ready to takeover. Then depth forward or KPD as we develop others.

Rest i agree with.

Im of the opinion that we can't keep this log jam of key defenders continuing. We could only really carry 2 (maybe at a stretch 3) of Stewart, Reid, Eyre, Brand, McBride as a key defender.

If we decide any of these are better suited as forwards (looks at Josh Eyre and Jim Stewart) then so be it if we keep them. I just don't believe in the log jam we currently have going on.

I like where Tom Hird has gotten to from where he began. Without being an educated AFL observer, Hird seems to get into reasonable spots, has shots on goal and has improved the physical side of his game from those very early games last year. A debut would be bloody brilliant for the Hird name at Essendon
Problem is you are chopping them down very early. They have hardly scratched the surface with Eyre and Brand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is you are chopping them down very early. They have hardly scratched the surface with Eyre and Brand.

It's just a gut feeling. The list is starting to look reasonable with players coming back. Hurley (retire) is another list spot at years end (key back) that should be used elsewhere. Opening up two more in lieu of the same type can only help our search for improvement in other areas like the midfield we should always be looking to develop.

If someone offered a late third/fourth for Zerk-Thatcher I’d take it. Had hope but I believe we need to give opportunities to Brand and Eyre in key defensive posts. Same with Cox

It's just a gut feeling. The list is starting to look reasonable with players coming back. Hurley (retire) is another list spot at years end (key back) that should be used elsewhere. Opening up two more in lieu of the same type can only help our search for improvement in other areas like the midfield we should always be looking to develop.
I have questions on him too but he is basically playing his first season of full VFL and has not had two years in the system. On top of that he has shown he does have something to work with even with the marking struggles he had forward.

If someone offered a late third/fourth for Zerk-Thatcher I’d take it. Had hope but I believe we need to give opportunities to Brand and Eyre in key defensive posts. Same with Cox

I have a hunch we're about to see him overlooked for Brand.

The only sense I can make of his contract for next year is that one of the Adelaide clubs is genuinely interested.

I have a hunch we're about to see him overlooked for Brand.

The only sense I can make of his contract for next year is that one of the Adelaide clubs is genuinely interested.
I didn't think we expected Brand to come on like he has this year.

I didn't think we expected Brand to come on like he has this year.

Yay and nay.

Stewart, Reid, Laverde, Ridley and Kelly were all in front as key defenders.

I'm not surprised Brand has come on. He was the starting full back for Calder in his 17th year. He fell out of vogue during a year in which there was no footy. Eyre went past him on the back of a great combine but he was a long way behind Brand as a footballer.

Only changes I would make is I am probably going to give Eyre one more year and let Phillips go. Harsh on Flipper but Sam and Nick can take control of the ruck. McBride can be the third guy. If we get down to the fourth ruck we are ducked anyway but Stewart / Cox / Reid . Maybe rookie a ruck.
I have seen enough of Hird to say my opinion is he will not get there.

Edit.2MP third ruck. :cool:
I’d keep Phillips for one more. Good back up and if we get rid of him, we just have to go out to market and find a 3rd ruck regardless. If draper went down early in the season suddenly you only really have Bryan and that severely hamstrings you for the whole season.

I’d trade Stewart at the end of the year. No longer needed imo, would rather a younger kid get games over him.

I’d keep Phillips for one more. Good back up and if we get rid of him, we just have to go out to market and find a 3rd ruck regardless. If draper went down early in the season suddenly you only really have Bryan and that severely hamstrings you for the whole season.
Bryan will be fine. Another pre season done. Will be his fourth year. Will obviously still have scope for development but he will be ready to ruck even if it is 70%.
Not like we are going to be playing for a GF spot. If we get injuries then we get another shot at the top end of the draft.
Draper , Bryan , 2MP , McBride .
Not ideal to go to 2MP but all the young forwards will have another pre season under their belt.

I’d trade Stewart at the end of the year. No longer needed imo, would rather a younger kid get games over him.

Nah I’d keep him. He’s a depth forward who should provide help at VFL and provide a reasonable target at AFL level if called upon.

McBridge, Zerk-Thatcher, Hurley and Francis go before him.

Nah I’d keep him. He’s a depth forward who should provide help at VFL and provide a reasonable target at AFL level if called upon.

McBridge, Zerk-Thatcher, Hurley and Francis go before him.
It's McBride

Angry Impractical Jokers GIF by truTV

Not McBridge

monkey bridge GIF

We’ve cut the list pretty hard the last few years and it’s going to be quite awhile before we see overall improvement. A lot of the youth have been brought through SPP and the rookie draft instead of the National. We need to get more high picks in ASAP.

National Draft
11- Jye Caldwell (GWS Trade)
30- Harrison Jones
37- Nick Bryan
8- Nik Cox
9- Archie Perkins
10- Zach Reid
39- Josh Eyre
53- Cody Brand
13- Ben Hobbs
46- Alistair Lord
50- Garrett McDounagh