Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went around half way through the third quarter but yes Ham was playing half back. He is not an option IMO. He is done.
Dare I say it a Saad or McKenna would be nice to fit in.

I'd make a call to McKenna and McQuillan.

The latter at 188cm and pure ludicrous speed is the perfect starting point for a small defender. Could also get him on the cat B list for a few years. Granted he'd be 22 now and that 2020's seconds form line was notoriously unreliable but the word from inside was that he wasn't that far away. He was leess mercurial than McKenna but more reliable/disciplined.

The world is a bit different now.

Despite the midfield issues as far as balance goes and the lack of small forwards another thing that really hurts has been the lack of VFL and opportunities to develop the young KP players in real footy games rather than match sim. Brand , Eyre , Mcbride and even Jones to an extent have suffered from just being able to play match sim or mickey mouse 16 a side games combined with other clubs.

At this stage it’s looking like
Cutler - delisted
AMT - retired
Hurley - retire?
Waterman - delisted (doubt he gets back into the team this year which usually means the end)
Ham - delisted
Francis - delisted
Stewart - traded / delisted - think his spot is up in the air with the amount of young KP talent we have that will need to start getting opportunities next year

Guelfi - 1 year extension
Heppell - likely 1 year extension
Eyre + brand - 1 year extension
Hird and McBride - cat bs depends where they see their development
Baldwin - 1 year extension
Phillips - 1 year extension or get another back up ruck from another club
Mass - 2 year extension
Menzie - 1 year?

Last edited:
Cutler - delisted
AMT - retired
Hurley - retire?
Waterman - delisted (doubt he gets back into the team this year which usually means the end)
Ham - delisted
Francis - delisted
Stewart - traded / delisted - think his spot is up in the air with the amount of young KP talent we have that will need to start getting opportunities next year

Mass - 2 year extension
Menzie - 1 year?
Baldwin should get 2 IMO

Cutler - delisted
AMT - retired
Hurley - retire?
Ham - delisted
Francis - delisted

Mass - 2 year extension
Menzie - 1 year?
Think thats pretty bang on

How many spots on the list does that give us?

I wonder if the clubs prepared to go with a 4th worse case scenario of rucking a Josh Eyre/Stewart. Would need to be exposed a bit to this position in the summer but would mean all of Draper, Bryan and Wright are not playing for it to occur which would be very rare

Then if things go terribly we can always get a midseason ruck

Would just mean we can get rid of a Phillips on the list

Id say were more likely to want to keep 3 genuine rucks especially as weve shown interest in playing 2 at times. Just an option

Weve seen what a mobile Darcy Cameron has been able to do. Blicavs alot this year aswell. Port with Finlayson havnt been terrible since hes gone in there.

Cutler - delisted
AMT - retired
Hurley - retire?
Ham - delisted
Francis - delisted

Mass - 2 year extension
Menzie - 1 year?
I'd go Baldwin on 2 and I reckon Guelfi will get 2 as well. he's been solid since playing more forward.
Stewart I imagine hangs around as mature body for either end.
Hird could be a question of do we ever see him making the jump, or do we offer a VFL contract and keep him close.

1st pick, trade up pick pre-Davey, then Davey's
1 inward trade (think it's Dunkley)
Leaves us one spot with current list sizes, or 2 if Hird isn't retained.
Couple of SSP spots we can use as we have in recent seasons.

Despite the midfield issues as far as balance goes and the lack of small forwards another thing that really hurts has been the lack of VFL and opportunities to develop the young KP players in real footy games rather than match sim. Brand , Eyre , Mcbride and even Jones to an extent have suffered from just being able to play match sim or mickey mouse 16 a side games combined with other clubs.

I feel that not just the AFL list needs work but the necessity to rebalance the VFL list is just as important.

Imagine Brand, Reid and co. in defence competing with better pressure up the ground? Need to upgrade guys like Conforti (the onballer) etc into much better VFL players and the whole club could develop quicker imho

I feel that not just the AFL list needs work but the necessity to rebalance the VFL list is just as important.

Imagine Brand, Reid and co. in defence competing with better pressure up the ground? Need to upgrade guys like Conforti (the onballer) etc into much better VFL players and the whole club could develop quicker imho
I agree the VFL side has been pretty much left to last. What has been obvious as the season has gone on is that they do have 2 good VFL players on the rise in Bernacaki and Rasinac who have come into the side early season and are 100% good VFL players who play hard. Just need to add a couple more to go along with Atley who I do have concerns for as he seems to be doing a Heppell and beating his body up every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the VFL side has been pretty much left to last. What has been obvious as the season has gone on is that they do have 2 good VFL players on the rise in Bernacaki and Rasinac who have come into the side early season and are 100% good VFL players who play hard. Just need to add a couple more to go along with Atley who I do have concerns for as he seems to be doing a Heppell and beating his body up every week.
Yeah, spot on. Ideally Id like one or two afl listed quality midfielders as depth in lieu of guys like Smith, Cutler, Ham who seem to end up doing minutes in there at the lower level. Pad out the VFL squad with better standard VFL lister and I feel we'd see some incremental progress amongst that raft of KPP at both ends due to a much more competitive midfield group.

Arent we 15?
And no flag in 22 years.... :(

Bit unlucky chesser went down. Imagine he'd be up there for a nod.
Kelly trade will hurt them
Yeah, but you're getting away from the point. The fact is they've struggled the past couple of years and realistically have 1, maybe 2 if Bazzo gets a big game, RS noms which is the real outlier on that list. Richmond will get one for Gibcus surely at some point, Dogs, St Kilda and Geelong have at least made finals (if the Saints make it).

Won a flag a few years back though
And hough looks alright.

It will be interesting to see what approach the Eagles take.

They're a club that can afford the scorched earth because they can wear bad years and it probably won't affect profitability, etc.

They've also got a lot of old guys who may be of interest to clubs in contention for a few years.

I'm hoping they take more of a Hawthorn approach. The scorched earth rebuilds are bad for the game and it's not evident to me that the benefit of being horrendous for 2 to 3 years makes a difference in the end, not when you're looking at 5 or 6 years for a rebuild.

What's the counter factual? That you wring every ounce out of the old guys to stay competitive enough and help to bring the next gen through. It takes 4 or 5 years to gradually evolve the list but you stay appealing enough to trade for potential champs like Jackson or sign gun free agents.

It's not a good time for WCE to be horrendous. Little brother is growing into the biggest, baddest guy in the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Starting to see a core group of skilled mids and flankers developing in our under 22 group. Hobbs, Massimo, Perkins, Martin, Durham and Caldwell is a very classy young group.

Starting to see a core group of skilled mids and flankers developing in our under 22 group. Hobbs, Massimo, Perkins, Martin, Durham and Caldwell is a very classy young group.
The question we should be asking ourselves is how do we improve the best 22 (when all fit).

The question we should be asking ourselves is how do we improve the best 22 (when all fit).
With what we have and will have after the coming off season I am confident that we will competitive in most areas. I struggle to see where we could gain a point of difference that can make us a real threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back