Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta love the kids 22 and under
Durham, Martin, Reid, Jones, Bryan, Perkins, Cox, Hobbs and Caldwell

If Hepp and Hurls go this is where you need guys 24-26 with 100-150 games to help Zerrett, DP3 etc lead the team moving forward

= Brayshaw (the Melbourne one) and Dunkley as mids

You gotta love the kids 22 and under
Durham, Martin, Reid, Jones, Bryan, Perkins, Cox, Hobbs and Caldwell

If Hepp and Hurls go this is where you need guys 24-26 with 100-150 games to help Zerrett, DP3 etc lead the team moving forward

= Brayshaw (the Melbourne one) and Dunkley as mids
We don’t need Brayshaw with caldwell Perkins and Hobbs coming through. I’d rather all 3 get more midfield time over the next couple of years.

We don’t need Brayshaw with caldwell Perkins and Hobbs coming through. I’d rather all 3 get more midfield time over the next couple of years.

A half back could potentially be handy

Huge upgrade on a Nick Hind

But then again the money required for a back flanker to get him to move would be too stupid

Whats changed in your opinion? Perkins Caldwell and Hobbs were always going to be capable midfielders of given the time

A half back could potentially be handy

Huge upgrade on a Nick Hind

But then again the money required for a back flanker to get him to move would be too stupid

Whats changed in your opinion? Perkins Caldwell and Hobbs were always going to be capable midfielders of given the time
The thing for mine is that natural midfield ability I want in any midfielders we bring to the club. None of this hope they come good. More Hobbs' types.

With what we have and will have after the coming off season I am confident that we will competitive in most areas. I struggle to see where we could gain a point of difference that can make us a real threat.
And that should be the reason we go to the well (draft) instead of trading in players. A free agent one could make a case for but I don't want to be giving up draft capital in our position.

I was all for adding Brayshaw but starting to come around to skipping him.
Have people only just realised Perkins, Caldwell and Hobbs are very capable midfielders who were all considered top 10 in their draft by most?

But yeh paying a half back 700k whos only done that role for a year isnt great even though its a major upgrade on Hind

Could potentially allow Hind forward for the short term which i still think could work in the next 2 years whilst Tex, Davey, Sheezel? develop

Have people only just realised Perkins, Caldwell and Hobbs are very capable midfielders who were all considered top 10 in their draft by most?

But yeh paying a half back 700k whos only done that role for a year isnt great even though its a major upgrade on Hind

Could potentially allow Hind forward for the short term which i still think could work in the next 2 years whilst Tex, Davey, Sheezel? develop
If Sheezel is selected he could play R1 I think. Currently he'd push Snelling out. When Snelling recaptures his form, maybe he pushes Guelfi out, if he works as hard as Guelf... or maybe Sheezel starts on the pine and pinch hits mid/forward. Love Guelfi. Gives everything and leads by example.

The question we should be asking ourselves is how do we improve the best 22 (when all fit).
Keep bringing in better players and rather than saying we can not trade this player or that player you look at all spots.
I have been a big fan of Snelling but eventually his spot gets taken by a goal kicking pressure forward. Same as Guelfi.
Kelly gets overtaken by one of the younger defenders.
Pressure come on Parish and Shiel to keep improving their defensive games.
Draper has to start taking more marks around the ground.
Some of the tried and true will need to be pushed out.

I'd 100% pay Brayshaw as a FA.

He fits an age demographic we need, he's a genuine AFL standard player for the next 5 years, offers leadership and is a team-first player.

He can play anywhere from Midfield / Wing / HBF so there's room for him, and doesn't cost us any draft capital.

Exactly the kind of guy we should pursue.

I'd also be trying to pry Dev Robertson out of Brisbane, and one of Hopper or Taranto out of GWS. Hopper will be the cheaper of the two IMO.

If we manage to keep our first, find a way to take a second rounder and get Davey x 2, bring in one or two of Robertson, Hopper or Taranto, and Brayshaw as a FA then we'd be a genuine Top-4 side within 2-3 years IMO.

Hind is an ordinary forward. It is why we got him so cheap. He is not the forward option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that should be the reason we go to the well (draft) instead of trading in players. A free agent one could make a case for but I don't want to be giving up draft capital in our position.
I think we need to make a big move to maximise our chances of finding a star at the draft. It would be the best move to raise the ceiling of our young group.

Hind is an ordinary forward. It is why we got him so cheap. He is not the forward option.
We dont know that, hes a different player now. Yes its easier to get disposals off half back but his skillset can still add something to a gaping hole in our side. If Brayshaw came in hed either be VFL or could potentially offer something forward if we were prepared to have a look

Hes matured, feels like he belongs and is now capable at the level. Its worth a look imo

Hes terrible defensivily. All you need as a small forward is speed and the willingness to pressure to have an impact on games. Whether he buys into getting 10 disposals less a game or not is the uncertainty

If Brayshaw was acquired and replaced him then id like to see Hind add that experience and speed forward which we lack

It does all depend on what else is gained. A sheezel can probably be trusted straight up

Ridley - Reid - Lav
Mcgrath - Zerk - Redman (Heppell)

Langford - Parish - Cox (Durham)
Draper - Dunkley - Zerrett (Shiel)

Caldwell - H.Jones - Perkins
Sheezel - Wright - Stringer (Hobbs)

Sub: Hind/Snelling

I think is a realistic best 22 side round 1 next year

I just cant see us not picking Heppell and i reckon hes going to get another year

We could go 1 person smaller in the backline and bring in a Hind or Kelly. Lav very capable as a 2nd tall

Ridley - Reid - Lav
Mcgrath - Zerk - Redman (Heppell)

Langford - Parish - Cox (Durham)
Draper - Dunkley - Zerrett (Shiel)

Caldwell - H.Jones - Perkins
Sheezel - Wright - Stringer (Hobbs)

Sub: Hind/Snelling

I think is a realistic best 22 side round 1 next year

I just cant see us not picking Heppell and i reckon hes going to get another year

We could go 1 person smaller in the backline and bring in a Hind or Kelly. Lav very capable as a 2nd tall

I like the bones of it

Hind is a long way ahead of Heppell as a defender imo

Hep I suspect will be a fringe mid / winger... which is okay. Give Merrett the captaincy.

Snelling will play if fit - has just had a very interrupted 2022 but he's very valuable as a small forward.

We need to work out Cox - is he a defender, forward or ruckman - cos he's not a wingman.

My attempt at a best 22 next year of current listed players:

Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Jayden Laverde
Mason Redman - Zach Reid - Massimo D'Ambrosio
Sam Durham - Darcy Parish - Kyle Langford
Nic Martin - Harrison Jones - Ben Hobbs
Jake Stringer - Peter Wright - Will Snelling
Sam Draper - Dylan Shiel - Zach Merrett
Andrew McGrath - Archie Perkins - Jye Caldwell - Kaine Baldwin/Nick Bryan

I'm one of Kelly's biggest fans but in a best case scenario we need him replaced in the best 22 with a key defender by the end of next year. Hind is also very unlucky if McGrath is playing back, if he isn't then he slots in for that last bench spot. I'm still not a huge fan of that midfield, I think we still need to trade one of those starting on ballers and get another big bloke in there, doesn't even have to be a Dunkley or Brayshaw, could be a Bytel or O'Halloran

I'm one of Kelly's biggest fans but in a best case scenario we need him replaced in the best 22 with a key defender by the end of next year. Hind is also very unlucky if McGrath is playing back, if he isn't then he slots in for that last bench spot. I'm still not a huge fan of that midfield, I think we still need to trade one of those starting on ballers and get another big bloke in there, doesn't even have to be a Dunkley or Brayshaw, could be a Bytel or O'Halloran

The fact that Hobbs can play half forward and rather well at that is a huge benefit to the team, I wonder if the coaches and recruiting team are surprised how well he gets involved from half forward.

eDPS Did Hobbs show his forward craft as a junior or was he so good in the middle there was never a need to try him there?

Keep bringing in better players and rather than saying we can not trade this player or that player you look at all spots.
I have been a big fan of Snelling but eventually his spot gets taken by a goal kicking pressure forward. Same as Guelfi.
Kelly gets overtaken by one of the younger defenders.
Pressure come on Parish and Shiel to keep improving their defensive games.
Draper has to start taking more marks around the ground.
Some of the tried and true will need to be pushed out.
spot on post. And you push those guys to depth and hope they hang around to be that.
Always look to improve that bottom 6 in your 22 (whoever it is at any point in time)

The fact that Hobbs can play half forward and rather well at that is a huge benefit to the team, I wonder if the coaches and recruiting team are surprised how well he gets involved from half forward.

eDPS Did Hobbs show his forward craft as a junior or was he so good in the middle there was never a need to try him there?
fairly sure I read in one of his RS interviews that he started working on it before being drafted to have it as a string to bow.
And we've utilised that a bit too.

can't argue. That side looks decent
Interesting would be if we did add Dunkley, who gets pushed out?
Someone obv would be

He was able to hit the scoreboard on occasion but that was mostly from playing midfield. He is a natural mid but most mids have been rotating forward their whole life

We do.

Is as a running defender.

No, he really wouldn't.

Which is it? Is he terrible defensively or is he willing to pressure?
He runs defensivily at 20%

But as a small forward can create pressure using his speed, no doubt he could run back harder defensivily but chooses against it. Thats why im talking about buy in

There different areas. He did use his pace to apply pressure as a small forward.

Just think its worth a look with where the list is at the end of this year. I dont see the harm.

The club has thrown him to half fwd at stages and hes looked far better than he did at stkilda, albeit only for quarters/halfs

Rioli applied pressure as a fwd but can be found wanting running both ways as a half back

Different positions and different skill sets

Also Hind gets destroyed in 1v1 and clubs look to exploit it

I just think with the back group and so many options he suits the hole we need to fill most in the short term
Laverde
Rids
Zerk
Reid
Hepp
Redman
Kelly
Massimo
Mcgrath
Brayshaw (10)

Last edited:
Status