Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the bones of it

Hind is a long way ahead of Heppell as a defender imo

Hep I suspect will be a fringe mid / winger... which is okay. Give Merrett the captaincy.

Snelling will play if fit - has just had a very interrupted 2022 but he's very valuable as a small forward.

We need to work out Cox - is he a defender, forward or ruckman - cos he's not a wingman.
Your right with Hind

Id swap the 2 if i was coach

However, i just find it hard to see this club and Rutten having Heppell on the list and not picking him in the case of a fully fit 22

We dont know that, hes a different player now. Yes its easier to get disposals off half back but his skillset can still add something to a gaping hole in our side. If Brayshaw came in hed either be VFL or could potentially offer something forward if we were prepared to have a look

Hes matured, feels like he belongs and is now capable at the level. Its worth a look imo

Hes terrible defensivily. All you need as a small forward is speed and the willingness to pressure to have an impact on games. Whether he buys into getting 10 disposals less a game or not is the uncertainty

If Brayshaw was acquired and replaced him then id like to see Hind add that experience and speed forward which we lack

It does all depend on what else is gained. A sheezel can probably be trusted straight up
We do know. He is back to playing half back which is what got him noticed in the VFL and ended up getting him drafted. Saints tried him forward and he fizzled out. We got him back because we knew what he was capable of at half back and where his speed can be used to best advantage. He is the same player he was in the VFL. Brayshaw does not really play the same half back style anyway. He does not dash from half back with speed and if we got him he would end up back in the midfield which is his actual one wood.

Exactly. It is fake news to suit your opinion.
I can watch and have an opinion with also a metric

Its extremely easy to see

Its his huge deficiancy

I just dont see the harm in trying it for 6 weeks this year to see what he can provide forward? He did kick 7 goals in his first 4 games for Stkilda who were a pretty avg side

If it works then maybe we put more work into Brayshaw for example

I can watch and have an opinion with also a metric

Its extremely easy to see

Its his huge deficiancy
Says you . I can jump on a forum and argue 20% is not an indicator. Maybe replace him with another speedy half back ;)
We got him back because we knew he was a run and bounce player with high speed.

Says you . I can jump on a forum and argue 20% is not an indicator. Maybe replace him with another speedy half back ;)
We got him back because we knew he was a run and bounce player with high speed.
David King has mentioned similar, he runs very fast one way but doesnt like to put himself in a position where hes one vs one so avoids by even getting back to put himself in that position.

Also Mcgrath is now going back, Redman has come on heaps this year and if you were to add a Brayshaw with Massimo in the background i dont see the harm in trying him forward for 6-7 weeks to see what he can offer

He wasnt terrible. Year 1 he kicked 11 goals and 10 behinds (11 games) with 7 in his first 4 games. People are wrapped these days with 30 goal seasons from small fwds

From memory i remember his 2nd year being fwd in a few losses which is usually result of work further afield

David King has mentioned similar, he runs very fast one way but doesnt like to put himself in a position where hes one vs one so avoids by even getting back to out himself in that position.

Also Mcgrath is now going back, Redman has come on heaps this year and if you were to add a Brayshaw with Massimo in the background i dont see the harm in trying him forward for 6-7 weeks to see what he can offer

He wasnt terrible. Year 1 he kicked 11 goals and 10 behinds with 7 in his first 4 games

From memory i remember his 2nd year being fwd in a few losses which is usually result of work further afield
Do you factor in that part of his role is to run hard offensively and part of the team role is to cover when he does ?
David King does some good work but he is also guilty of not watching all of the games and getting snippets cut up by champion data to push a point.
It is the same role we allowed McKenna and Saad to play . There is not a lot of stay back and defend one on one in the role. I can be a one way role at times.
He was a poor forward which is why the Saints let him go and replaced him. All his best for over his career has been half back.
The harm is we are not replacing his speed from half back to break the lines.

And I will say it again. Brayshaw is not a speedy half back who runs with the footy and takes a bounce at every chance. He is a different player. On top of that he is only playing half back because Melbourne have a stacked midfield. He would most likely play outside midfielder for us with an ability to do some inside work at stoppage which would suit him and us.

Do you factor in that part of his role is to run hard offensively and part of the team role is to cover when he does ?
It is the same role we allowed McKenna and Saad to play . There is not a lot of stay back and defend one on one in the role.
He was a poor forward which is why the Saints let him go and replaced him. All his best for over his career has been half back.

And I will say it again. Brayshaw is not a speedy half back who runs with the footy and takes a bounce at every chance. He is a different player. On top of that he is only playing half back because Melbourne have a stacked midfield. He would most likely play outside midfielder for us with an ability to do some inside work at stoppage which would suit him and us.
You might be right

All im saying is it is worth a look in our situation, and i dont see the harm?

Allows us to be more flexible and knowledgable with end of season decisions

I mean who are our small forwards next year if Sheezel is gone before our pick?

Is it simply 2 midfielders and Snelling. That just aint going to cut the right mix there. A heavy reliance would be on a 1st year davey or need a significant jump and improvement from a Tex in that role

You might be right

All im saying is it is worth a look in our situation, and i dont see the harm?

Allows us to be more flexible and knowledgable with end of season decisions

I mean who are our small forwards next year if Sheezel is gone before our pick?

Is it simply 2 midfielders and Snelling. That just aint going to cut the right mix there. A heavy reliance would be on a 1st year davey or need a significant jump and improvement from a Tex in that role
You still have to replace the speed from half back. McGrath and D'Ambrosia worked well with him as they all have slightly different games.

You still have to replace the speed from half back. McGrath and D'Ambrosia worked well with him as they all have slightly different games.
I wouldnt say a half backline featuring some of Redman, Mcgrath and/or massimo would be considered too slow

Melbourne had quite a bit of success with Brayshaw and Salem who arent quick

Brisbane played with Birchall and Rich last year

Id say Mcgrath is replacing it

I just think speed and experience are required forward and i see both traits

Its probably a mute point. Rutten will be narrow focused on winning right now as he would still be feeling pressure which is a shame. Maybe its a lever we pull after round 4 if were 1-3

Surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of Massimo playing a bit of half forward to alleviate a bit of a logjam and lend a bit of skill to the forward half. All his coaches have said he knows where the goals are.

Re: Brayshaw

Him on one wing and Durham on the other is wettest of wet dream material

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King does some good work but he is also guilty of not watching all of the games and getting snippets cut up by champion data to push a point.
It is the same role we allowed McKenna and Saad to play . There is not a lot of stay back and defend one on one in the role. I can be a one way role at times.

Agreed. There’s a place for Hind long term. I think we can fit them all. The versatility of D’Ambrossio and McGrath to get up to stoppage I could see us aiming for eight in the 22. (KPD 1 & 2, Lav, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, D’Ambrossio and Hind)

Last edited:
Agreed. There’s a place for Hind long term. I think we can fit them all. The versatility of D’Ambrossio and McGrath to get up to stoppage I could see us aiming for eight in the 22. (KPD 1 & 2, Lav, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, D’Ambrossio and Hind)
Hinds about to turn 28, long term?

And 1 would have to be a winger, but if you consider that a defender/backman than thats fine i suppose

Last edited:
Ridley - Reid - Lav
Mcgrath - Zerk - Redman (Heppell)

Langford - Parish - Cox (Durham)
Draper - Dunkley - Zerrett (Shiel)

Caldwell - H.Jones - Perkins
Sheezel - Wright - Stringer (Hobbs)

Sub: Hind/Snelling

I think is a realistic best 22 side round 1 next year

I just cant see us not picking Heppell and i reckon hes going to get another year

We could go 1 person smaller in the backline and bring in a Hind or Kelly. Lav very capable as a 2nd tall
Would love to know how we get Sheezel, davey boys and Dunkley (future 1st I'm presuming?) surely dylan shiel gets traded to free up draft capital . Not sure you can leave Hind out?
I'd rather we develop caldwell and Hobbs as our inside bulls rather than bring in dunks..

Keep the cap space for 2023 when we target HMckay or Curnow.

2024 our Premiership tilt

Would love to know how we get Sheezel, davey boys and Dunkley (future 1st I'm presuming?) surely dylan shiel gets traded to free up draft capital . Not sure you can leave Hind out?
I'd rather we develop caldwell and Hobbs as our inside bulls rather than bring in dunks..

Keep the cap space for 2023 when we target HMckay or Curnow.

Yeh thats fair enough

I did say its an awkward one but i do worry were getting caught up a bit in our back end success again

Would be a F1

Ive always said alot relies on Perkins as he has the size people are after but i dont think hes ever going to truly be a bullocking compeitive inside beast. Hobbs will be though

For me nothings changed in the last 6 weeks with knowing what we have on the list except Zerk has come on more than i expected

I actually dont think Sheezel will be available by our pick. Best in the draft imo and very likely we could end with pick 4-6

Yeh thats fair enough

I did say its an awkward one but i do worry were getting caught up a bit in our back end success again

Would be a F1

Ive always said alot relies on Perkins as he has the size people are after but i dont think hes ever going to truly be a bullocking compeitive inside beast. Hobbs will be though

For me nothings changed in the last 6 weeks with knowing what we have on the list except Zerk has come on more than i expected

I actually dont think Sheezel will be available by our pick. Best in the draft imo and very likely we could end with pick 4-6
Yer Sheezel top seed for mine, Philipou and Hewett look ideal also.

I hope you're right because that would be awesome, but I can't see it at the moment. I still think we're a long way away from challenging for a flag. I'd like to think that perhaps we can win a final by 2025, but we'd need to see improvement and consistency over the next couple of years first.

I hope you're right because that would be awesome, but I can't see it at the moment. I still think we're a long way away from challenging for a flag. I'd like to think that perhaps we can win a final by 2025, but we'd need to see improvement and consistency over the next couple of years first.
The majority of our list would have played between 50-150 games, our talls will all have played +50 games (Jones, Baldwin, Reid, Cox, Draper). So we should be in the window, add a couple of senior pieces around them and hopefully we are challenging top 4! I see this year as the regression we needed to have (given list age and injuries).

Issue with 2025 is pretty much no Stringer unless there is some miracle but i think thats probably getting 12 months too far fetched

Hes still a major piece to our success. Hopefully thats different in 24-36 months time and we have been able to replace him. Hes just so different to what else we have and we seem to perform so well when hes up and about

Also Shiel would also be done. Think hes very replaceable but maybe less so if were all trading Parish

It wont surprise me if we see a bump in 2024 if everything can go right with injuries and we start well which leads to belief. Could still expect/hope for good returns from Shiel, Stringer and the rest of the list will be in a fairly good hitting zone

The guys in years 4-5 would be our most talented on the list so youd expect them to reach the level quicker

Issue with 2025 is pretty much no Stringer unless there is some miracle but i think thats probably getting 12 months too far fetched

Hes still a major piece to our success. Hopefully thats different in 24-36 months time and we have been able to replace him. Hes just so different to what else we have and we seem to perform so well when hes up and about

Also Shiel would also be done. Think hes very replaceable but maybe less so if were all trading Parish

It wont surprise me if we see a bump in 2024 if everything can go right with injuries and we start well which leads to belief. Could still expect/hope for good returns from Shiel, Stringer and the rest of the list will be in a fairly good hitting zone

The guys in years 4-5 would be our most talented on the list so youd expect them to reach the level quicker
Stringer will be 30 at the end of the current contract. Shiel 31. Stringer is a 50/50 prospect but Shiel is a consummate professional and could easily be our version of Travis Boak and play well into his 30's

Stringer will be 30 at the end of the current contract. Shiel 31. Stringer is a 50/50 prospect but Shiel is a consummate professional and could easily be our version of Travis Boak and play well into his 30's
He might still be on the list, i dont expect as long as a Boak but my concern would be in 2025 what Shiel is offering

Anyway we will see

Id expect a mix of our pick 3, possibly 19 along with the Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs, Zerrett, Parish, Mcgrath and i have hopes for stints of Nic Martin to well and truly have pushed him to depth/fringe (whether he can play another role) in 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back