List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

POKsPies252

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood's list - My view

Needs:
Up and coming key forward - Paine is too undersized IMO and Cloke is now in the second half of his career. Need to begin developing one right now.
3rd tall FWD/2nd Ruck - Hasn't been settled since Brown departed in 2011. Lynch doesn't kick enough goals.
Big bodied mids - Bally is our in and under type player and i reckon eventually Joshy Thomas will become that. Would still like another as depth though.

Already retired/Delisted: Johnson, Didak, Krakouer, Jolly, Russell, Hartley, Richmond

The only others I can see leaving via retirement or delistings are Maxwell, Clarke and Gault. All likely to stay though.

Free Agency - losses
Nil

Free Agency (potential gets)
Joel Wilkinson (Delisted FA)

Trade Hypotheticals
Pick 27 + Paine - Karnezis + Yeo (Bris)
Harry O and pick 10 - Pick 5 and 18 (GC)
Pick 5 - Jonathan Patton (GWS)
Pick 18 + Blair - Dustin Martin (Rich)
3rd rd pick - V.Michie (Freo)

Draft:
Jake Kelly (father-son)
Later picks used to upgrade Sam Dwyer and Kyle Martin

Rookie draft
Key forward

Draft, Trade and FA period wrap up
I think it all depends on if Daisy leaves. With players that may be available, I'm now not against us trading away our first rd pick for a couple of quality players. Obviously if Daisy leaves then we get that extra first rounder. Have changed my opinion regarding wheter or not Daisy will leave. Am now hopeful that he will stay.

Potential senior list:
Key Defenders: N.Brown, L.Keeffe
Medium Defenders: N.Maxwell, J.Ramsay, A.Toovey, J.Kelly, J.Wilkinson
Small/rebounding defenders: B.Sinclair, H.Shaw, M.Williams, E.Yeo

Outside Mids: M.Clarke, C.Young, S.Sidebottom, T.Broomhead, P.Seedsman
Inside Mids: L.Ball, V.Michie
In/out Mids: S.Pendlebury, D.Thomas, D.Beams, J.Thomas, D.Swan, K.Martin, D.Martin

Key Forwards: T.Cloke, J.Patton
Medium Forwards: A.Fasolo, P.Karnezis
Small Forwards: J.Elliot, B.Kennedy, S.Dwyer

Ruckman: J.Witts, B.Grundy

Utilities: B.Macaffer (tagger/fwd) T.Goldsack (DEF/FWD) B.Reid (DEF/FWD) Q.Lynch (RUC/FWD), C.Gault (DEF/FWD/RUC)

=39 players

Rookie list
J.Frost, P.Yagmoor, A.Oxley, C.Mooney, B.Hudson, Key FWD

Best 22
FB: Williams Brown Toovey
HB: Shaw Keeffe Yeo
C: Thomas Ball Young
HF: Martin Reid Swan
FF: Patton Cloke Elliot
R: Grundy Pendlebury Beams
I/C: Sidebottom J.Thomas Seedsman Sub: Fasolo

Reserves
FB: B.Sinclair J.Frost J.Wilkinson
HB: N.Maxwell A.Oxley J.Ramsay
C: T.Broomhead V.Michie M.Clarke
HF: P.Karnezis T.Goldsack S.Dwyer
FF: C.Mooney Q.Lynch B.Kennedy
R: J.Witts K.Martin B.Macaffer
I/C: J.Kelly P.Yagmoor C.Gault Key FWD

Will continue to update as views change each week with news of who may be available.

Last Updated: 14/9/13

with the success of dwyer and martin(hopefully) i reckon we should target an experienced state league ruckman.

Giles is type of player who would have been perfect to take the number one ruck role for a year or two while Witts and Grundy develop. If there is a good enough state league ruckman i say we pick them up, because i really don't want to part ways with a first round draft pick for a ruckman when we all assume Witts and Grundy will be our starting rucks in 2-3 years.

If we could get Bellchambers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick + depth player, i would consider it. But no way would i trade a first round pick for another ruckman.

If Daisy does leave I'd prefer we don't pick up any other free agents as it would effect the draft pick we get for him.

If we continue on the road we are on now, we may get picks 13 (normal first round pick) and 14 (compensatory Daisy pick) which wouldn't be too bad, load up on kids again and we'd have 5 stars coming through in 2 drafts (and that's just the first rounders).

As for trades etc the rumour is we are big in chasing Leuenberger but with Witts and Grundy coming through I'd rather we traded for a pacy player or for a key position forward who can help us long term and took a ruckman (like a Currie type) as a short term measure to assist Witts and Grundy.

I wouldn't mind at all if we just went down the path of youth though and then gave a few more state league players a shot along the lines of Martin and Dwyer.

Let Hine and Rendell work their magic and in 2-3 years we will see the dividends, and the likes of Cloke, Pendles, Reid, Brown etc will still be young enough for a real crack at a flag.

If Daisy does leave I'd prefer we don't pick up any other free agents as it would effect the draft pick we get for him.

If we continue on the road we are on now, we may get picks 13 (normal first round pick) and 14 (compensatory Daisy pick) which wouldn't be too bad, load up on kids again and we'd have 5 stars coming through in 2 drafts (and that's just the first rounders).

As for trades etc the rumour is we are big in chasing Leuenberger but with Witts and Grundy coming through I'd rather we traded for a pacy player or for a key position forward who can help us long term and took a ruckman (like a Currie type) as a short term measure to assist Witts and Grundy.

I wouldn't mind at all if we just went down the path of youth though and then gave a few more state league players a shot along the lines of Martin and Dwyer.

Let Hine and Rendell work their magic and in 2-3 years we will see the dividends, and the likes of Cloke, Pendles, Reid, Brown etc will still be young enough for a real crack at a flag.

Well I won't be against us getting any Free Agents if Daisy Stays. Though we have to wait to see who is still available.

A Ruckman between age of 24-26 would be great but could Draft one from the State Leagues.

Would Knockers from the Scum be a worthwhile stopgap? Sure he's useless around the ground, but he's a very good tap ruckman and with Casboult seemingly doing well in his 2nd ruck role, there isn't going to be space for Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson on the list since you know, Mick hates ruckmen. Would get good service until 2015-2016, which is when Witts and Grundy would be ready to dominate.

That, or NM's Daniel Currie. Only signed up for 1 year, so I'd consider chasing him too since Goldstein isn't going to be displaced any time soon.

Carlton would want waaaaaayyyyy too much for Warnock. They'll ask for first rounder + Reid/Cloke or some shit ridiculous...
Ditto Bombers & Lions for Bellchambers & Leuenberger, although probably not as excessive :p

I'd rather not go down this path, I really don't want to use another first round draft pick on a ruckman. Draft a mature age one please! I really like the way Buckley is playing the younger players and setting a high standard for the senior players. I reckon in a couple of years, we'll be a very competitive team playing with intense pressure and slick skills. Well that would be nice anyway ;)

Would Knockers from the Scum be a worthwhile stopgap? Sure he's useless around the ground, but he's a very good tap ruckman and with Casboult seemingly doing well in his 2nd ruck role, there isn't going to be space for Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson on the list since you know, Mick hates ruckmen. Would get good service until 2015-2016, which is when Witts and Grundy would be ready to dominate.

That, or NM's Daniel Currie. Only signed up for 1 year, so I'd consider chasing him too since Goldstein isn't going to be displaced any time soon.

Why would we want Hampson? Currie could be an Option and If can't get a Game at North could be Chance of getting him. We were interested in him before Grundy fell to us in Draft

Given the bombers wealth of tall options now, and Daniher not looking out of place in the seniors, could this shake gumbleton loose? Only knock would be does he provide enough defensive pressure. But we do need a second marking target up forward.

Given the bombers wealth of tall options now, and Daniher not looking out of place in the seniors, could this shake gumbleton loose? Only knock would be does he provide enough defensive pressure. But we do need a second marking target up forward.

Well we have Grundy,Paine and Witts, Reid also can play that role so I doubt we would need him. Other Teams would want him more

Given according to media today GWS will look at trading their first round pick for experienced players maybe we should see if we could trade Keeffe for their number one pick.

lolnoway.

Keeffe may attract a late first rounder at best. And I wouldn't want to offload him anyway. I'm probably in a minority that prefers Oxley on the wing or half forward flank, since I feel like our backline talls should consist of Reid, Brown and Keeffe with Frost pushing for a position when Maxwell retires. Brown and Keeffe on the KPFs with Reid on the third tall/resting ruckman. Versatility in match ups too, since Reid/Keeffe are capable of moving forward or switching with each other if a forward goes on a rampage.

Also with guys like Fletcher, Scarlett and Glass learning how to play on smalls later in their careers with their superior reading of the play, Reid could probably develop that over time too (though to be fair, I don't think Reid will end up as good as those players).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given according to media today GWS will look at trading their first round pick for experienced players maybe we should see if we could trade Keeffe for their number one pick.
I don't think too many clubs would be willing to spend big for a relatively unproven player coming back from a ACL, and I don't think we would get anywhere near what Keeffe is worth (I really rate him). I wouldn't be against parting ways with Brown if the right offer came along, could demand a pretty high pick with a lot of clubs short on KPD stocks, and we have plenty of cover in Keeffe and Frost (and potentially Gault and Hartley).

lolnoway.

Keeffe may attract a late first rounder at best. And I wouldn't want to offload him anyway. I'm probably in a minority that prefers Oxley on the wing or half forward flank, since I feel like our backline talls should consist of Reid, Brown and Keeffe with Frost pushing for a position when Maxwell retires. Brown and Keeffe on the KPFs with Reid on the third tall/resting ruckman. Versatility in match ups too, since Reid/Keeffe are capable of moving forward or switching with each other if a forward goes on a rampage.

Also with guys like Fletcher, Scarlett and Glass learning how to play on smalls later in their careers with their superior reading of the play, Reid could probably develop that over time too (though to be fair, I don't think Reid will end up as good as those players).

I wouldn't be against parting ways with Brown if the right offer came along, could demand a pretty high pick with a lot of clubs short on KPD stocks, and we have plenty of cover in Keeffe and Frost (and potentially Gault and Hartley).
Keeffe could end up one of those players that has knee issues, Frost shows some signs but is far from proven at AFL level, Harley can't get on the field due to his shoulders and Gault's form has not been great this year and was given a belting by young Daniher 2 weeks ago and is yet to settle into a position in the VFL.
Add to that Max is not getting any younger. For those reasons I don't think we are in a position to trade Brown.

Apparently the pies are sniffing around Mumford.
A lot of water to go under the bridge but would be a massive get if we landed it.
Would also allow time for Witts and Grundy to develop as well as the option of playing Witts and Mumford in the same team due to Mumford's mobility and ability to play forward.

Keeffe could end up one of those players that has knee issues, Frost shows some signs but is far from proven at AFL level, Harley can't get on the field due to his shoulders and Gault's form has not been great this year and was given a belting by young Daniher 2 weeks ago and is yet to settle into a position in the VFL.
Add to that Max is not getting any younger. For those reasons I don't think we are in a position to trade Brown.

I thought Gault played quite good on Daniher, he didn't start too well but got better as the game went on. But i agree that both Gault and Hartley are not viable options for the AFL team at the moment, but both still have potential. Keeffe could very well end up being one of those players that has knee issues, but so could Brown or any other player on our list for that matter... And for what its worth Brown has had more knee issues then Keeffe has over their careers!
I do rate Brown but from what I have seen his role in the team could easily be covered by Keeffe or Frost, and if the opportunity arose to trade him for a first round pick then we should take it. The gain of a high draft pick would far outweigh the loss of Brown IMO.

I thought Gault played quite good on Daniher, he didn't start too well but got better as the game went on. But i agree that both Gault and Hartley are not viable options for the AFL team at the momentThe gain of a high draft pick would far outweigh the loss of Brown IMO.
From memory Daniher kicked 4 to 5 on Gault in the first half then Keeffe moved to him and kept him goalless in the 3rd. Agree B we would have to gain a high draft pick to even consider it.

Every year we need to trade for a ruckmen this is what happens when you are piss poor are drafting tall skinny blokes.

I for one will be out with my pitchfork if we even entertain trading our 1st round pick for a ruckmen

I for one will join you!
Can't see it happening though as Buck's cleared out the dead wood last year, Grundy and Huddo would seem to be good short to long term picks and Buck's has openly stated he wants his rucks to be monsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back