List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

For sure, he's been such a wonderful acquisition for the Blues. Has the heart of a pea!

He plays for Carlton. Pea hearts are almost mandatory. A bit of 1v1 with Witts, Grundy, Huddo and Pebbles over the preseason should sort him out.

Anyway, was just a name I was floating around because he might be on the outer. At least I didn't say that we should look at Hampson. :p

In general though, I'm not that interested in a ruckman unless it can be done cheaply. I've got the feeling that if his development keeps tracking as it has this year, Witts can be competitive playing ~15 games next year as first ruck. He won't hit his straps until 2015-2016, but I don't think he'll be too much of a liability.

Sorry I meant thread. I always say forum instead of thread for some reason.

Take some pics for us if you can as well!!

Sorry I don't have a Camera. Though I might try and go and find one but can't Promise anything.

I think it might go in the Future Magpies Thread but I might make one for them

Why would we trade a 1st Round Pick for a Ruckman when we have Witts and Grundy Coming Thru?

Because our young rucks aren't ready yet.

Perhaps this rests on whether Buckley thinks we have the cattle to win next year or the year after. If not, then I'm all for picking up youth and waiting for the young rucks to develop.

Another approach may to have one gun ruckman to give us midfield dominance again and if by some miracle we have 3 gun rucks on our list, we can trade one back out for a 1st rounder. Swings and roundabouts.

Jol's has one more year and should concentrate purely on mobility by dropping weight, one would hope all of Witts, Grundy, Keeffe and Gault will improve with another full preseason under their belts, also happy for us to pull a seasoned ruck with some quality from one of the state league's if available.

Re: targets, like most if possible I would target running players with pace, endurance, skill and height. Easier said than done I know but it will also depend on the needs of the other teams; early in the piece no one thought Grundy would be outside the top 3 however as luck has it club needs pushed him to us at pick 18.

Our ruck situation has been a constant amusement for 20 odd years.
We are still talking who will take over (an ordinary ruck division) Witts or Grundy.

Let's say both of them make it next year (un realistic), we then have to start the process again!

Shit we are so far behind Geelong.

We are still talking who will take over (an ordinary ruck division) Witts or Grundy.

Let's say both of them make it next year (un realistic), we then have to start the process again!

Shit we are so far behind Geelong.

We Beat Geelong about 3 Weeks Ago:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other things is that if we don't strike now, we could miss our chance as I reckon Gold Coast and GWS will be machines by the time Witts and Grundy are ready. I say strike while the iron is hot.

And exactly why IF we did lose Daisey, you use the spare cash on FA & not worry about the net weight compo factor.

Two years, is the window for teams that have a shot before the shit storm hits.

An ordinary Ruck division??
I fail to see a year where we have had the likes of Jolly, Hudson, Witts and Grundy, only time will tell, however this group is hardly ordinary.

And exactly why IF we did lose Daisey, you use the spare cash on FA & not worry about the net weight compo factor.

Two years, is the window for teams that have a shot before the shit storm hits.

If anyone watched the 1st 3/4 or the GWS game, they will be a frightening prospect in 2-3 years time. GCS will be like the Geelong team in terms of skills and GWS like Brisbane's threepeat team.

If anyone watched the 1st 3/4 or the GWS game, they will be a frightening prospect in 2-3 years time. GCS will be like the Geelong team in terms of skills and GWS like Brisbane's threepeat team.

Both GWS and GC will Dominate the Comp in 3 Seasons

Could not give you a like as it is inevitable and regrettable!
So here it is unfortunately:thumbsu:

I don't think too many clubs would be willing to spend big for a relatively unproven player coming back from a ACL, and I don't think we would get anywhere near what Keeffe is worth (I really rate him). I wouldn't be against parting ways with Brown if the right offer came along, could demand a pretty high pick with a lot of clubs short on KPD stocks, and we have plenty of cover in Keeffe and Frost (and potentially Gault and Hartley).

Depending on how Frost and Keefe come on this could be a risky but awesome idea, especially if theres a club with a top 10 pick available, desperate for a kpd who can play now. Fairly unlikely but not impossible. In a way its more likely that if anyone gets traded itl be frost or keefe, but we wouldnt have a hope of a top 10 for them

Both GWS and GC will Dominate the Comp in 3 Seasons

That's why I'd like to land a gun ruck now. Witts is 21 this year and Grundy remains a teenager. What ruck do people know took on the top mantle and dominated before 24? Not many I'd wager.

That's why I'd like to land a gun ruck now. Witts is 21 this year and Grundy remains a teenager. What ruck do people know took on the top mantle and dominated before 24? Not many I'd wager.

Not Heaps but Where is one we could get now that would Dominate? I don't think we would get one

Sometimes these threads annoy me! So much rhetoric about ruckman, which are far from our main concern, but not only that the names that are being mentioned are well beyond reach.

Brisbane are in the shitter and have both Black and Brown on their last legs so can afford to pay Luenberger double whatever any potential suiter can. Essendon will lose one ruckman at the end of the year (Hille) which leaves them with just two on their list without even asking why Bellchambers would leave a club currently contending for another that can't pay him as much? Mumford signed a 3 year deal at the end of 2009 which ultimately expired at the end of 2012 meaning at the very least he is contracted to the Swans for 2013 & 2014. Currie is slightly more available than the previous 3, but is unlikely to be available for a second rounder (roughly pick 30) and I for would not be giving a first rounder for a bloke that is yet to debut and was only last year worthy of a pick in the 40's. To put it bluntly if we were spending a first rounder on him we were doing it in last years draft and that boat has sailed!

The only one IMO worth even sniffing at (I wouldn't bother because we're set for rucks) is McKernan. He's had 5 years in the system so can step in straight away and have an impact, but most importantly is a traditional ruck/ forward. The beauty with McKernan is that he can go 50/50 with his ruck minutes helping the transition to Grundy and Witts and at the same time replace Lynch. He's not 200+ cm, however the McKernan genes mean that he can get by on being a smidge undersized. The problem with bringing in a big name is that Witts and Grundy won't receive the opportunities they need to develop whereas McKernan can fill the void for a year or two until one is ready.

It's all by the by anyway with our need for an inside mid, pacy mid with strong two way running ability and shut down small defender being of far more concern than another bloody ruckman!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back