List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we go a josh kennedy/jesse lonergan pick with our 1st rounder, a bull inside midfielder. Then with our 2nd pick go a Toovey/Shaw type. After that elevate a few blokes.

If any ruckmen are available for trades or FA we should go hard for them

Not sure how this works now but if we were keen on Currie last year is it possible for him to walk out on North after his 1 year contract is up, get delisted and then head straight to us as a delisted Free Agent?

I'm with blaze's draft assessment above and if we can pick up a cheap stop gap ruck we should get on it.

Brown is chronically underrated on here, Brown was a first rounder who has had a heap of work put into him, personally I hope we keep him.

Also if we spend another 1st rounder on a ruck the list manager needs to be fired.

One thing with Brown I've noticed this year is that he's working really hard to rebound, direct play and develop his game so that he's not as one dimensional. It's still a work in progress, but he is getting there.

I know people are going to pot or underrate him for being this Presti-esque "Caravan" defender, but that's not really the case any more.

One thing with Brown I've noticed this year is that he's working , direct play and develop his game so that he's not as one dimensional. It's still a work in progress, but he is getting there.

I know people are going to pot or underrate him for being this Presti-esque "Caravan" defender, but that's not really the case any more.

I've noticed this too. We have a few talks down back: Reid, brown, keefe, frost and a couple on the rookie list. I guess people are asking whether we have enough to make a big call and trade one to fulfil a big need?

Agreed Loki, however if Mummy chose to move would you consider it?

Nic Nat yes, Mumford in his current form prob not.

If we had only did the Jolly trade 1st rounder then I would be more inclined to, but currently i would offer 2nd rounder and maybe a steak knife.

Mumford had a brilliant 1st year with Swans when he got very fit and lost weight last year he seemed not as fit and looked to have put on some weight and became a bit immobile, his form has been so so as well.

Personally prefer the club to look at the best state level Ruck for MA rookie list option as a short term while Witts and Grundog come on.

Realistically Witts in 2014 should be getting a lot of game time if he is ever to develop he needs to play AFL games especially in his 4th year at the club, most the rucks people are naming played some games from year 2 and built from there.

So Witts should get a few more games this year then build on it imo.

There comes a time when we have to look at the way we develop our rucks we draft and maybe we need to go poach the best ruck coachs from other teams like the Swans if Hudson doesn't work out.

Good thread OP. I think this year we will see more drafting and trading in line with Buckley's vision & game plan;

Possible Losses;

In relation to who we might cut loose at the end of the year I'd be thinking both Yagmoor , Gault and Hartley would be definite delistings from what I've heard thus far.

I think Sinclair & Clarke are interesting, I can see Clarke being kept on the list just for the pure fact that with the interchange caps we will really benefit from his endurance but along with Sinclair I wouldn't be against putting him on the trade table, I believe they both have greater value with another team than they do with us.

Retirements I'd expect to see Didak, Johnson and Hudson as definites with Jolly potentially hanging up the boots.

In terms of Thomas, I'm not sure whether he will or will not leave us at the end of the year, but in terms of our future plans I don't think it will have that much of an immediate impact. He is a solid player and I love him, but I don't think he is an essential part of our playing group.

Pick Ups;

In terms of ruckman, I'd probably like us to chase a WAFL/VFL/SANFL player who has a bit of size and is only coming in to play ruck. The two I've looked at are Seva Martin from Subiaco who is 208cm and 105kg, most recent outings seen him get 43 and 42 hit outs but not a lot of influence around the ground.

The other one is Wesley Lamme from Swan Districts who stands at 198cm and 97kg, average for hit outs is 28.3 and seems to have a bit more influence around the ground.

I am not sure whether we should chase any free agents this year, as the group that have only played under Buckley are really starting to gel as a playing group and are performing, and I'm not that keen on throwing huge picks for established players in the draft either.

In relation to the draft the guys who I think would really compliment our growing youngsters are below;
  • Darcy Hourigan - Forward - 190cm, 92kg - South Adelaide. Darcy seems to be a really strong forward option and could potentially be a great pick up for our future key forward stocks, kicked 5 against Queensland and is known to kick bags.
  • Matt Crouch - Inside Midfielder - 181cm, 80kg - North Ballarat. We'd have to be very lucky for Matt to slip to our first pick, but seems to be just what we need once Ball retires, a strong in and under midfielder.
  • Trent Dumont - Midfielder - 185cm, 83kg - Norwood. Solidly built mid who loves the contested situations, has already made a senior debut at SANFL level and would be someone who I think could make an immediate impact.
These are just my opinions, I know a lot of people want to go down the path of free agency and trade, but looking at the impact Bucks has already had on our young blokes, I think we could benefit from throwing all our eggs in to the future basket.

Not sure how this works now but if we were keen on Currie last year is it possible for him to walk out on North after his 1 year contract is up, get delisted and then head straight to us as a delisted Free Agent?
Currie has currency and will not be delisted, North will offer him a new contract then it will be up to him. If he delists himself he is then open to the draft, i.e. free for all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There comes a time when we have to look at the way we develop our rucks we draft and maybe we need to go poach the best ruck coachs from other teams like the Swans if Hudson doesn't work out.
Hudson has already worked out IMO, his energy is contagious and he sets a terrific example for our youth.
That said I still would have selected Currie in the ND and hired Huddo in a dual role as Ruck coach and VFL player when required.

Would Knockers from the Scum be a worthwhile stopgap? Sure he's useless around the ground, but he's a very good tap ruckman and with Casboult seemingly doing well in his 2nd ruck role, there isn't going to be space for Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson on the list since you know, Mick hates ruckmen. Would get good service until 2015-2016, which is when Witts and Grundy would be ready to dominate.

That, or NM's Daniel Currie. Only signed up for 1 year, so I'd consider chasing him too since Goldstein isn't going to be displaced any time soon.

Number one rule on drafting (for all teams)

NO PLAYERS FROM SCUM

Brown is chronically underrated on here, Brown was a first rounder who has had a heap of work put into him, personally I hope we keep him.

Also if we spend another 1st rounder on a ruck the list manager needs to be fired.
I 2nd That. Brown is a Good Defender. Why would we trade him?

Possible Losses;
In relation to who we might cut loose at the end of the year I'd be thinking both Yagmoor , Gault and Hartley would be definite delistings from what I've heard thus far.
I think Sinclair & Clarke are interesting, I can see Clarke being kept on the list just for the pure fact that with the interchange caps we will really benefit from his endurance but along with Sinclair I wouldn't be against putting him on the trade table, I believe they both have greater value with another team than they do with us.

Retirements I'd expect to see Didak, Johnson and Hudson as definites with Jolly potentially hanging up the boots.

In terms of Thomas, I'm not sure whether he will or will not leave us at the end of the year, but in terms of our future plans I don't think it will have that much of an immediate impact. He is a solid player and I love him, but I don't think he is an essential part of our playing group.

Pick Ups;

In terms of ruckman, I'd probably like us to chase a WAFL/VFL/SANFL player who has a bit of size and is only coming in to play ruck. The two I've looked at are Seva Martin from Subiaco who is 208cm and 105kg, most recent outings seen him get 43 and 42 hit outs but not a lot of influence around the ground.

The other one is Wesley Lamme from Swan Districts who stands at 198cm and 97kg, average for hit outs is 28.3 and seems to have a bit more influence around the ground.

I am not sure whether we should chase any free agents this year, as the group that have only played under Buckley are really starting to gel as a playing group and are performing, and I'm not that keen on throwing huge picks for established players in the draft either.

In relation to the draft the guys who I think would really compliment our growing youngsters are below;
  • Darcy Hourigan - Forward - 190cm, 92kg - South Adelaide. Darcy seems to be a really strong forward option and could potentially be a great pick up for our future key forward stocks, kicked 5 against Queensland and is known to kick bags.
  • Matt Crouch - Inside Midfielder - 181cm, 80kg - North Ballarat. We'd have to be very lucky for Matt to slip to our first pick, but seems to be just what we need once Ball retires, a strong in and under midfielder.
  • Trent Dumont - Midfielder - 185cm, 83kg - Norwood. Solidly built mid who loves the contested situations, has already made a senior debut at SANFL level and would be someone who I think could make an immediate impact.
These are just my opinions, I know a lot of people want to go down the path of free agency and trade, but looking at the impact Bucks has already had on our young blokes, I think we could benefit from throwing all our eggs in to the future basket.
Top write up Eggs!!
Would invest another year in Gault and see both Ruck's noted as Rookies.

I'd try and gouge out Currie, not because he'd come at a reasonable price, but because I think he'll be a very good ruck and is really only squeezed out by one of the premier rucks in the competition in Goldstein.

But if we can't get someone of that ability, I'd be willing to lose another first rounder for a true quality ruckman.

When people say first round picks, you'd think we've given up top 10 picks, rather than mid teens+ picks.

I'd try and gouge out Currie, not because he'd come at a reasonable price, but because I think he'll be a very good ruck and is really only squeezed out by one of the premier rucks in the competition in Goldstein.

But if we can't get someone of that ability, I'd be willing to lose another first rounder for a true quality ruckman.

When people say first round picks, you'd think we've given up top 10 picks, rather than mid teens+ picks.

Why would we trade a 1st Round Pick for a Ruckman when we have Witts and Grundy Coming Thru?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Team 2014 (out: BJ, DJ, AD, AK, JR, DT, HS, JP, CG; in: JW, Adams, PK, Armstr, 6, 10, 67, Dwyer, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back