'The Cat Attack' song

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to a lot of games in those days SJ and I honestly can't remember.
Having said that I used to turn up as the ball was being bounced.

Yes, as I wrote above 'Cat Attack' was played as we ran out in 1992.

Just wondering if that was our official club song for a while, and if so how for long, and if it was played both before and after all matches during that period?

Sorry didn't see you put that. I definately remember going back to the song we know and love in 1994 but there's time it wasn't the official song. Someone track down John K Watts and ask him when the royalty cheques stopped coming for a while.

If I had to take a punt on timing, I would say that the "Cat Attack" first started belting out of the very average PA system at Kardinia Park in around 1989. Back in the day it was usually introed by the ground announcer who was also a 3GL/K ROCK dj (Don "Mad Dog" Maguire???? is that right?). Always felt it owed a little in its origin to the work of Pete Townsend, in fact used to often joke the line should have been "deaf, dumb and blind kid sure does a mean handball". It was so bad, it was good in a very "Gee-Town" kind of way. You partly cringed at it, partly smirked at it, and partly loved it all at the same time.

Link to Cat Attack mp3 is here
In the early 1990s (probably 1992) my older cousin gave me a cassette tap with Cat Attack on it, and I loved it. I was young and never realised this was played at games until yesterday. But interestingly, I have a feeling the one I had on tape is a slightly different version to the one in the link.

Remember sitting at the G at the Cats v WCE Qualifying(?) Final in 92 and hearing this blare out. As a kid I thought it was great to have a "rocky" song instead of a jaunty noodle.

So yeah pretty sure it was 1992....I also thought it was only during the finals series as I can't remember ever hearing it outside those few weeks.

Early to the mid 90's is when I remember it first being played. It was definitely in the 90's. I thought it was good at the time (I also thought hyper colour and happy pants were cool at the time as well :eek:) The 90's was a different age and the cat attack song fitted perfectly :)

wow, that's pretty bad. i can just imagine the players pulling out the ****-rock air guitar while singing it these days though

i vaguely remember just the 'cat attack, geelong' part being played over and over again for the entire half time break at home games

Remove this Banner Ad

'The Cat Attack' song

Remove this Banner Ad

Back