The Cyril Rioli Myth = The Harley Bennell Reality?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Might want to omit Kerr and Bell from your list, mate.

Kerr is a master and was very unlucky not to win the Norm Smith in 2006. Gun player....unquestioned.

To the original post though, how can you possibly compare a premiership player who has continually shown his class (despite patches of poor form) against a young kid who is in his second year?? You Mad Bro (to borrow a catch phrase.)

Bennell is a super prospect for the AFL and the GCS.....many flames have burned out prematurely though!!

Kerr is a master and was very unlucky not to win the Norm Smith in 2006. Gun player....unquestioned.

To the original post though, how can you possibly compare a premiership player who has continually shown his class (despite patches of poor form) against a young kid who is in his second year?? You Mad Bro (to borrow a catch phrase.)

Bennell is a super prospect for the AFL and the GCS.....many flames have burned out prematurely though!!
I was referring to him not being indigenous.

As for Rioli well the Hawks fans brought this on themselves with all the hyping as the next Gary Ablett 'just as soon as he moves into the midfield' , then several years of excuses and now he's back playing in a forward pocket. Don't get me wrong he's a good player but he's been hyped a lot more than he's produced (which isn't his fault but it does affect how people rate him).
Ablett came of age in 2007...5 years after joining the club. What do people expect of Rioli?? Two years and he is the next C. Judd/G. Ablett??

How about you think about your Bomber's and how much they OVERPAY an UNDERACHIEVER like Hurley....and UNDERPAY and OVERACHIEVER like Crameri!!

Pardon me, I thought you were comparing the two players. No sure where I got that silly idea from. :rolleyes:
It was a silly idea and you should apologise.

You first critiqued the idea, which I did not necessarily express, that only individual performance "maketh" the better player.

Is this a reference to Cyril being part of a GF winning team? That players are also a product of circumstance and the team around them?

Or a question of whether a player also does the team things, to help the team win. Not just perform well as an individual.

Bennell is a team player and nearly dragged his team across the line, that was my point. It was not merely individual stat padding.

This thread pretty much sums why football journalists and people in involved in football think this site is a joke.
And we should care why?

Get back to me when the level of analysis in football commentary or popular media like the HUN rises above the level of Bay13 point scoring and favouritism.

As for Rioli well the Hawks fans brought this on themselves with all the hyping as the next Gary Ablett 'just as soon as he moves into the midfield' , then several years of excuses and now he's back playing in a forward pocket. Don't get me wrong he's a good player but he's been hyped a lot more than he's produced (which isn't his fault but it does affect how people rate him).

Nah... People have completely missed the point about Rioli.

Rioli exists soley to torment Geelong supporters. He was created with the sole purpose of beating 3 players of the "Greatest Team Ever" in a contest on the MCC wing during the third quarter of the 2008 Grand Final.

While some, if not most, Hawthorn supporters have expected, then desired, then despaired that Rioli take his mantle as the next Gary Ablett of the game, the more discerning Hawthorn fan knows this is an impossibility.

Because magic is dispensed only in tiny doses. A 40 possession Rioli game, week in week out, would not only render all other sporting endevour irrelevant, it might possiblky cause a rip in Space/Time.

Therefore Rioli was created to fulfill one glorioius GrandFinal defining moment. But his purpose doesn't end there...

Because his purpose is to torment Geelong fans, Rioli's destiny was to be an exciting flashy player who dips in and out of games yet somehow manages to be more respected than Travis Varcoe.

Two premierships and 8 straight wins on the trot against Hawthorn have done nothing to dull the piercing agony of Rioli being rated by the media more than Travis Varcoe.

And that, my friends, is the point of Cyril Rioli. Don't take it personally (unless you're a Geelong supporter) - it's just not about you!

Every post you write I find myself nodding.

I like you.

Most people on Bigfooty are absolute sheep, you are not.

Haha.
I know what you mean.
Come on Reds!!

It was a silly idea and you should apologise.

You first critiqued the idea, which I did not necessarily express, that only individual performance "maketh" the better player.

Is this a reference to Cyril being part of a GF winning team? That players are also a product of circumstance and the team around them?

Or a question of whether a player also does the team things, to help the team win. Not just perform well as an individual.

Bennell is a team player and nearly dragged his team across the line, that was my point. It was not merely individual stat padding.
"First still thought Bennell's game was better and second if given the choice between both players would take Bennell without thinking twice.

He has all of Cyrils good qualities and none of the bad. Superior player across the board."

I quote your first reply, where you lay down the premise of comparison between the two players. It doesn't bother me that you think Bennell is better, as that (as is mine) is just opinion.
I was not thinking of Cyril's GF performance at all, but more so the constant reference to disposals as the measuring stick against players. This occurs in the media and has trickled its way into forums like this one. It's annoying and silly.
Bennell is a good player in a not-so-even team. What I'm saying is, to compare is akin to comparing apples and oranges. This is not a criticism of GC or Bennell, but it is stating facts as they stand.
Obviously, we will not be able to effectively evaluate the careers of the two players until they both complete their respective careers, so it's worthless even going there. If Bennell's efforts are contributing to the lifting of his team, then that's great. Bottom line is, there's plenty of improvement yet to be seen in both players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe you didnt pick up "Ive seen", Ive been watching only since 1997~ and 1997-2004 was just casual watching as I was young.

2nd year aboriginal player getting 3 Goals which weren't seagull's like most of them do plus 3 games of 4th qtr consistency, Name one in the last 15 years that has achieved that.

What he displayed today was ELITE you cannot question that if he continues that for most part of the season my god.

You've grown up in an era that has seen Indigenous players explode as elite, consistent, games record holders and LEADERS - and you make a comment that would have been outdated in the 80's???

And if you have only been watching for a short sample time, why on earth would you believe that Bennell is unique amongst that ethnic group? WHy would you even make that comparison?

Sorry - I'm not being all "PC" here. I'm genuinely baffled -how could someone growing up in the era of Goodes, Mcleod and O'Loughlin write such a thing?

Why has nearly every aboriginal kid who has had a break out game in the past 4 years been compared to Cyril?
Betts, Alwyn Davey, Garlett, Jetta now Bennell.

For someone so overrated he is used as the bench mark an awful lot.

Got gifted three goals from umpiring mistakes tonight Rioli.
He had a really good game tonight, but having not seen much of the replay, it looked at ground that that could have easily been true. He did of course get two of his goals from 50m penalties that he had nothing to do with earning, so that was a nice couple of gifts to start with.

Might have to catch some of the Suns v Freo game though, to see what Bennell got up to. :eek:

Honestly people are so harsh on Cyril. It seems as if everyone wants to see him fail, just enjoy what he can do not what people think he should do.

He will never be a gun midfielder, whether it's his make up, his lack of endurance or his hamstring issues. He should stay in the forward 50 and become a great small forward.

Having met Cyril on many occasions before, he is such a nice unassuming guy, just let him play and enjoy if you like highlights. He won't be a 30 possie player.

He's no Eddie betts

He is a much better footballer.

Are you talking about the same Betts (drafted in the PSD) who kicked 50 goals last season? Garlett (drafted in the rookie draft) only managed 48, but both were well ahead of Rioli's 29 goals.

Tonight was the 3rd time only that Rioli has kicked 5 or more goals in a game.

Rioli's good games are very good, but there have not been enough of them to deserve the regular praise he gets. The reality is that Betts is currently a better small forward than Rioli. That is not to say that Rioli won't eventually end up better than Betts, but some perspective should be maintained when discussing Rioli.

Interesting comment when you consider that Garlett has kicked only 8 less goals in his 59 AFL games than Rioli has in his 89 AFL games (including the 6 goals tonight).

So it's all about goals? You must think Taylor Walker is better than Buddy

This thread is so stupid. Comparing a Midfielder with a Forward!!! Oh wait they are both Aboriginals.

Sad, isn't it?

Just wanted to kill the "Cyril on the wing in 2008 GF" hype.

Hawks were robbed with that free should have been ply on when Cyril had taken 3 cats players out of it and th ball was passed to a hawk running pst the contest.

anyone know what resulted from the Rioli free ?

The cats flooded back and Cyril kicked backwards which led to a rushed behind.

BUT C yril was certainly inspirational that day

What is this awful thread?

Cyril was amazing tonight, killed us in every department. Looked like goaling every time he got within range and was too good on so many occasions. A joy to watch... I actually wished I was a neutral tonight.

(The high tackle free in the third as a disgrace though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back