Review The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that michalanney was given a shot in the midfield today. Only problem is its the wrong player and the wrong time. Would be better to try dowling, Ryan, Curtin, taylor, rachele or pedlar. And would have been a great opportunity last week at home.

Nicks is an idiot
He wont drop laird. He's a pathetic campaigner.

Has been a concern for a long time, I think I may have posted my concerns regularly.....Rachele was put into the midfield for half a qtr, and strolled up & down the centre square for most of that period .....he was in no-man's land ......meanwhile, Soligo was helping his defenders in the goal square

Terrible work rate, terrible body language .....that's why the midfield experiment with him was ditched

Such a terrible, poorly informed judgement

Parody even

Completely agree nicks isn’t the man to take us forward. But let’s be brutally honest; Hamish and Reidy have given him the keys to a clapped out Sigma. No coach could take this list anywhere. Watching guys like Day, NWM, Serong and butters cruise around hurts even more when we are made to watch guys like Jones, Shoey, Murphy spud it up every week is just cruel.

We stuffed the rebuild through our poor drafting. FACT.

Not fact
Not fact at all

Development, development, development

Not fact
Not fact at all

Development, development, development
We've had some dud picks that would have failed anywhere but I'm reasonably sure we have a few blokes that would have thrived if they'd been recruited to decent clubs. Thilthorpe and Rachele are two players I think could be genuine A graders that are held back by shitty development.

So what on earth do we work on at training? Shape and structure at the expense of kicking and catching the ball?
I genuinely believe we dont do much competitive training apart from bump the handball guy
Coaching includes improving skills and decision-making, deficiencies our coaching group struggle to correct.

And whilst Nicks should shoulder most of the blame, Burns, Van Berlo and in particular Godden should all be in the gun. And Burgess shouldn’t escape scrutiny either, our players continue to be shifted off the line too easily in ground ball and marking contests.

I’ll leave Hamish and Reid for another day…..
I said before that these are in the gun

Or realised AFL is hard?

Probably coasted through juniors. After giving up soccer because that game is more technical and knowing ALeague his ceiling.

Now expected to play a more technical role as he mature and struggling with putting in the hard work to get to the level.

He is at a crossroads right now. Put in the hard work and he can be elite.

His mate Soligo is doing just that.

Or coast and be Chad Wingard 2.0.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's refreshing to see someone put the heat on the player rather than blaming recruiters or the match committee. Rachele played game one after being drafted and started on fire. He was given every opportunity right from the start. The slide has been slow and steady. Is it development or is it the hubris of a young man who isn't used to having to work for it? Soligo started at the same time and is an interesting comparison - Rachele is obviously well behind.

You could see from that Jones goal, where he chose to position himself for the receive instead of blocking for his team mate, that he's probably not following direction. Michalanney looked better on ball than Rachele has all year. Rachele was supposed to share forward/on ball with Rankine this year - now Rankine has one foot in the stratosphere and Rachele is nowhere.

He's very much at a crossroads.

Why do you think we kicked 2 goals in the first half and 10 in the second with the same players?
Forgive the intrusion, it may also have something to do with the opposition. The game is there to be won at the start, they win it, coast for a bit, crows are able to score while they are coasting. Crows can score when the heat is out of the game, hence the 10 goals being scored.
It’s been a pattern with the crows for many years now.

We dont do tough conversations at AFC. Nothing will ever change. The only remotely tough thing he did was drop Crouch to SANFL while he was coming off bad groin issues.
Of course we do, “sorry Billy you’re playing some really good footy at the moment but we just can’t fit you in.”
“But Matthew there’s players in there playing terrible and always let us down.”
“Sorry Billy they just have more experience than you son, your time will come.”
“But coach how do I get experience?”
Wanders off

Unless I’m wrong and he doesn’t speak to them at all like sando?

Last edited:
ROB, seriously he just crashes in in the ruck and either gets a nil all draw (I feel like they still attribute a hit out to someone) or touches it and it goes somewhere, sometimes one of our players gets to it first, but imo does not ever show ruck craft.
This is where the hit outs to advantage come from, not from his craft but luck.
He cannot kick and can not mark.
Exactly he gets the “hit out” stat but both he and our midfielders have no idea of where it’s going to go. Has he ever put it to one of our mids that are on the run - a set play?? He contests always, can’t deny that but he isn’t giving our mids an advantage.

Good tap ruckman [Rehn} are able to actually pull off a set play and work with their mids.

Our need for a decent-good ruckman is as important as a midfielder.

Or realised AFL is hard?

Probably coasted through juniors. After giving up soccer because that game is more technical and knowing ALeague his ceiling.

Now expected to play a more technical role as he mature and struggling with putting in the hard work to get to the level.

He is at a crossroads right now. Put in the hard work and he can be elite.

His mate Soligo is doing just that.

Or coast and be Chad Wingard 2.0.

Practising his celebrations and getting his face on bus stops probably wasn't ideal for his development. I feel sorry for the kid.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's upsetting watching a hack coach sacrifice any development and future we have in a desperate attempt to meet his (must be EXTREMELY low bar) KPI's to hang onto his job.

The irony is that if he actually dropped some players letting him down, rested clearly injured players and gave kids a chance we might be in a better position.

Has to go. It's fantasy stuff but what a boost it would be if he was sacked before the Tigers game.
The club said of his stupidly early and unnecessary two year extension that Nicks is our next Premiership coach.

It seemed pie in the sky at that time, it's now shown up to be Norf type stupidity. A lot of idiots running this club to their own matey agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that michalanney was given a shot in the midfield today. Only problem is its the wrong player and the wrong time. Would be better to try dowling, Ryan, Curtin, taylor, rachele or pedlar. And would have been a great opportunity last week at home.

Nicks is an idiot
??

Agree with the last sentence, though

Doesn't work this way for entrenched coaches.

They need to maximise wins to get as close to finals as possible, and their approach is to play as many senior players as they can
Entrenched? I think not. Embattled maybe.

I thought they were saying Smith had a trigger for a one year extension that had been met so looks like the club might not have a choice
Could have been his manager leaking that to the media to put pressure on the club. Brodie is very close with his Dad, so if he’s openly saying that to corporates last week it’s hard to doubt it.

Rachele was bitterly disappointing yesterday, but we got absolutely smashed in the midfield most of the day.

Heck, even Burgess started to look OK once we got some proper inside 50's.

Agree though - Development of players has been atrocious. Outside of maybe Rankine, Soligo and Keane, cannot think of one player who you would say has genuinely improved on last year. Lots have stalled or gone backwards which is an indictment on the club and Nicks.

??

Agree with the last sentence, though
Yeah, I liked them at least trying Michellaney in there for a decent period and not just one CBA. Andrew Jarman has said for a while he could see him as a mid given his skill set. Also starting to build some depth in the KPD/interceptor roles, so provides some luxury to try MM in different roles with the season basically dead.

My mate was invited to a coporate box last week by Brodies old man and he told him the club haven’t offered Brodie a contract for next year . Think his time is up and if he was honest with himself with the way he is playing he should call it a
My mate was invited to a coporate box last week by Brodies old man and he told him the club haven’t offered Brodie a contract for next year . Think his time is up and if he was honest with himself with the way he is playing he should call it a day .

If that’s the case, why are we playing him every week?

Rachele was bitterly disappointing yesterday, but we got absolutely smashed in the midfield most of the day.

Heck, even Burgess started to look OK once we got some proper inside 50's.

Agree though - Development of players has been atrocious. Outside of maybe Rankine, Soligo and Keane, cannot think of one player who you would say has genuinely improved on last year. Lots have stalled or gone backwards which is an indictment on the club and Nicks.
I would say MM is continuing to develop nicely, Borlase has improved on last year, Worrell was putting together his best season. Sholl is definitely having his best season. Hinge decent after a slow start. But yeah, struggling to think of many after that.

Cook was good.

Can't think of any other positives.

Rachele is a genuine concern. Multiple opportunities to take over head marks and failed.

Hanging around looking for the cheap ball rather than get the hard ball himself.

Overall just not looking interested.

Had a real chance to step up with Rankine out and has failed.

He is another failed draft pick , no guts no awareness no natural ability, only worried about his hair style. If he was traded now you would only get a late second rounder!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ugly: Soligo with his blind shit yourself backwards overhead handballs to nowhere to avoid heavy contact.
Hawks were just too tough and uncompromising all over the ground. We don't have the balls for that type of pressure.

Are we even fit?

I would say MM is continuing to develop nicely, Borlase has improved on last year, Worrell was putting together his best season. Sholl is definitely having his best season. Hinge decent after a slow start. But yeah, struggling to think of many after that.

Agree on Borlase but only have very limited sample size. Hinge I'd say is about the same as last year (which was decent to be fair) and as you said he had an ordinary start to year too. MM i'd say is about 10% better but agree he is our future. Worrell I'll agree with you, was looking good and our backline has looked unsettled without him and his mongrel too.

Sholl is an interesting one, stat wise has been solid but just feel if we are serious and can unearth some real elite outside talent I wouldn't be losing sleep over not having him in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back