Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just so sick of how little workrate our smalls have when presenting options to kick to, other teams generate overlap and short kicks so easily yet we almost never have anyone working hard to make an option so we just kick down the line.

Funnily enough the only midfielders/small forwards who avg more marks than CD & Macrae, were Williams/Baker who are wingers and Bont. No body else works as hard as them to present marking options across the ground. Drop em 😈

Are you kidding?

That attitude would effectively stamp Baku’s delisting.

Reason: can’t play against taller opponents.

Opposition forward lines are constantly changing. If he can’t play effectively against guys like Brown in a pinch, then he might not get the chance to play at all.

He needs to develop such capabilities if he is to grasp the opportunity to establish himself at AFL level.
Keep going. You're so close to getting it.

Just trawled through 17 pages of review. Can we stop with the we lost because Bevo loves his b grade, lost at selection, this player should never play again blah blah blah.

How about that fact that most of our best players did not show up at all. Forget the lesser likes, each team has players who fill the 16 to 23 spots on game day. Yet our best players were soundly beaten by Melbourne best players. We just don't cover the big MCG well at all, we didn't work anywhere near as hard as Melbourne.

Most disappointing aspect for me was the same old safe game plan around the boundry. No one wanted to take the game on. How about a chip inboard, through the middle for a change.

I expect a response this week, its a long season and its only 1 game, yet the signs were bad. Maybe the Bevo message is stale.

The game plan wasn’t to play it safe round the boundary.

We clearly looked for options inside that either didn’t come or were closed up by Demon players.

At some points, all our potential targets were standing still asking for the short pass by foot. Absolutely no one worked hard to get separation, no one put blocks on, no one made an effort to get the ball moving down the middle. This leaves the only option to go wide where teams usually have a spare number.

This isn’t how we played the practice matches. We clearly wanted to move the ball quickly and usually used the middle of the ground. Come Rd1, our piss weak team go in to their turtle shells and shit their pants.

I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Yesterday the players clearly didn't have the required level of intensity (this was the biggest factor in this loss).

Why? I reckon because of the AFL's F'king Zero round. Playing a game for real points would recalibrate the understanding of the intensity required.

Next week will be an absolute acid test for the club. If I'm right we should see a very different Doggies side.

Freo seemed to cope alright playing Brissie second up.

I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Yesterday the players clearly didn't have the required level of intensity (this was the biggest factor in this loss).

Why? I reckon because of the AFL's F'king Zero round. Playing a game for real points would recalibrate the understanding of the intensity required.

Next week will be an absolute acid test for the club. If I'm right we should see a very different Doggies side.
not round zeros fault, in 2016 we went into a first final after a week off with a few players that had weeks off and managed to bring intensity. If the boys had no adrenaline running through their veins being our first round then there is a big issue after the so called preseason they had supposedly had.

Honestly, it’s hard to take AFL seriously anymore, we play this lot every year opening round for the past three years. How about rotating home games AFL? The same as the Good Friday game, no rotation, even though we brought the crowd.

This rubbish round 0, gave them a leg up, when god knows Melbourne Football Club has had more leg ups, than any club outside GWS and GC. We are playing against how many priority picks, how many paid senior coaches, how many MCG members, even the umpires got into the spirit helping them out with some dinky frees.

As I walked out of the MCG yesterday, past the smirking, the cheering and usual examples of a club with little humility, or the ability for self reflection on their AFL manufactured success, I thought why does it feel we are being set up.

So my anger is not at Bevo, the players, or even Melbourne, it is squarely at the slide and the demise of us, we are getting kicked around like a tin can by the AFL and not a squeak from our President, we seem to be just taking anything the AFL dishes out including:

1. Being bent over taking Marra and Darcy in the draft, while Collingwood and Brisbane skip away with arguably better players
  2. The AFLW and the way we were pillaged from the new clubs.
  3. The whole 2021 finals fiasco, including Brisbane’s timekeeping that cost us top 4, the players not allowed to train, or even go for a walk after plane trips or after games - come on would Richmond or Collingwood have accepted this situation, no way.
  4. The way the Good Friday game was handled, not hard to see the AFL only wanted Carlton
  5. St Kilda for instance is hosting Collingwood at the MCG if we have to play this mob every year, why can’t we host it?
  6. Less games at the MCG than interstate clubs.
There is more I could list, but you get the gist, finally I can’t help but feel that this is a backlash, this would not have been accepted under Gordon. Bevo is on the nose because he won’t play ball with the media, and is even targeted by the AFL’s own media in Barrett. We are on the nose with the AFL, who don’t even pretend to want equalisation, if anything it feels like they are back to only supporting the big and rich to get a bigger slice of the pie.

Can we bring back Gordon, good things seem to happen under him.

#rant over##rant

We clearly looked for options inside that either didn’t come or were closed up by Demon players.

At some points, all our potential targets were standing still asking for the short pass by foot. Absolutely no one worked hard to get separation, no one put blocks on, no one made an effort to get the ball moving down the middle. This leaves the only option to go wide where teams usually have a spare number.

This isn’t how we played the practice matches. We clearly wanted to move the ball quickly and usually used the middle of the ground. Come Rd1, our piss weak team go in to their turtle shells and s**t their pants.

So right.

The connection thru the middle of the ground comes from the back half willing to aggressively look for direct options and the midfield working to provide them - I think thats why Dale still has my respect despite many of his forays in the first half not coming off - he is one of the few with the balls to try.

I guess we have to remember at some point that the penny just dropped for bevo this year, despite an overhaul of the gameplan being obvious to blind freddy 3 years ago. We are 3-5 years behind teams like Melbourne, Geelong etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that gets me about Vandermeer is that even if he had kicked a goal from his set shot (he didn't even get a behind from it, it floated across the goal, costing us a behind that is not worthless), it still would have been a poor game.

His continuing poor games and associated poor goalkicking is a beggar's belief he continues to get picked. He has now played close to 50 games and make critical errors or played poorly in numerous games.

For example, he has taken 55 total shots at goal in his career for only 21 total career goals. Especially as many of them are from set shots relative to players of his play style, it's costing the team. It's also a big enough sample size to assume that he's a poor goalkicker, or at least it's proven to be bad enough for an already bad player that it's not worth investing the resources to get him up to league average (see our training efforts with Naughton or whatever).

Even if he had nailed a league-average 30 goals from those shots over his career, people would still be (rightfully) criticisng him. But in some ways, his output is even worse than what we're judging him, because we've more or less forgotten the consistently, among-the-league-worst goalkicking accuracy over the course of his career.

But that's just how it is. Buku isn't a taller or stronger player than what he is. Physical attributes make up a portion of the value that you are as a player. It's not an attitude, it's the reality of the components of what makes a good footy player, well, good.

Irrespective of how Buku approached the game, his intent, his mentality, his execution of skill, etc., he was fundamentally too light for Brown. He was unable to use core strength and weight to hold positions in marking contests. We can look at the video replays if you want but I think everyone on this board (even those who abuse me!) can agree that's what happened on the field.

Of course it would stamp his delisting. But that's just how it is - the world is filled with talented six-foot-one basketballers who never made it to the NBA because they're six-foot-one. Doesn't mean that they're bad basketball players, just that they're six-foot-one.
Different sport but the Dogs need to bring in a tackling coach from NRL. The way Ben Brown busted straight past Khamis for one of his goals was disgracefully weak.

Jahrome Hughes who is 183 cm made a try saving tackle on a much bigger guy and helped Storm to an epic grandstand finish. Just one of many piss weak tackles by the Dogs.

Now the dust has settled- I think our defence held up pretty well considering we had two recycled players who couldn't get games at their previous club, Buku (who has played only 10 games) who played as a key defender. Also Bailey Dale stunk it up.

Our defence was something we needed change in and there were signs yesterday it looked okay- prior to the last quarter.

Too bad our midfield torched them.

Different sport but the Dogs need to bring in a tackling coach from NRL. The way Ben Brown busted straight past Khamis for one of his goals was disgracefully weak.

Jahrome Hughes who is 183 cm made a try saving tackle on a much bigger guy and helped Storm to an epic grandstand finish. Just one of many piss weak tackles by the Dogs.

We can definitely do with a tackling coach for technique but how do you deal with making sure your intensity, work ethic and intent matches technique which is just as if not more important

This isn’t how we played the practice matches. We clearly wanted to move the ball quickly and usually used the middle of the ground. Come Rd1, our piss weak team go in to their turtle shells and s**t their pants.
This is bang on, we had zero run and movement during the game, nobody was taking the game on, just short sideways passes, it was terrible

How the f&*k is English the AA ruck - he is an insipid weakling.
Please let him go and get what you can for him... hopefully mid-season trading comes in and we can do it sooner rather than later.
I almost want us to lose the next 3 games to bring everything to a head ASAP.

The club seems absolutely rudderless at the moment... we need Gordon back... someone to steer this sinking ship...

But that's just how it is. Buku isn't a taller or stronger player than what he is. Physical attributes make up a portion of the value that you are as a player. It's not an attitude, it's the reality of the components of what makes a good footy player, well, good.

Irrespective of how Buku approached the game, his intent, his mentality, his execution of skill, etc., he was fundamentally too light for Brown. He was unable to use core strength and weight to hold positions in marking contests. We can look at the video replays if you want but I think everyone on this board (even those who abuse me!) can agree that's what happened on the field.

Of course it would stamp his delisting. But that's just how it is - the world is filled with talented six-foot-one basketballers who never made it to the NBA because they're six-foot-one. Doesn't mean that they're bad basketball players, just that they're six-foot-one.
Funny, cause I thought he wasn’t that bad ?

Im exactly the same mate, we have been members for 37 years and unfortunately my son who is now 27, has said he just doesn't want to go and watch the dogs play anymore. Loves his football, like my grandson does, so it's a sad day for me as a dad. Its ok to say you have to go through the good times and bad, but honestly, if we are truly honest with ourselves I think we are fairly realistic that you cant win every week, but to see no effort, no fight over and over and over again is quite demoralising. I think all supporters want to see is some kind of a game plan that makes for exciting football, some aggression and improvement and the development of some kids. We arguably have the best marking combo up forward in Naughton and Jamara, but continually we just bomb the ball in and let them get bashed around. We never get easy goals, very rarely you see our forwards ins pace leading up taking a chest mark like other forwards around the league do. Absolutely no run and no line breaking from our mids and half backs, its stale old footy and it sucks. Lobb has to go, he is stunting the growth of Darcy and yes he took a couple marks but honestly is bloody disappointing. Yes, we will win some games this year, but to serve that up in round one after all the media scrutiny and missing finals last year is very ordinary.

Dumb football, how many times do you want to lose the same way to Melbourne, like seriously. We bomb the ball in to one of the best back lines in the league, we get destroyed around the ball by their mids, what's changed ?????

Harmes, who didnt play well was getting bullied by ex team mates, verbally and physically. NO one stood up for him....NO ONE!

Do you think, Romero, Libba Senior or Dimma would have seen let that happen to one of their mates? Hell NO! Win lose or draw, fly the flag and show some balls... We have truly lost our identity.
I've been saying it for years this team is soft. Bev's koombayah mantra has infected the group. Bag him all you want but I miss the days of Minson ragdolling fools for looking sideways. They just take it like a bunch of soy boys.

How the f&*k is English the AA ruck - he is an insipid weakling.
Please let him go and get what you can for him... hopefully mid-season trading comes in and we can do it sooner rather than later.
I almost want us to lose the next 3 games to bring everything to a head ASAP.

The club seems absolutely rudderless at the moment... we need Gordon back... someone to steer this sinking ship...
Because he looks good "statistically"

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back