The Good, the bad and the ugly - Rnd 1 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, that was an unbelievable win. Was watching with hubby's cousin - a Collingwood supporter - was sweet!

So many good things to mention:
The win against the odds. Hopefully we're going to get back to the trend of winning the close ones. Really didn't think we'd win today but the effort of the boys was sensational.

Was fantastic to see the mixture of class from the oldies ie Bunji and Edwards with the enthusiasm and fight of the likes of Petrenko, Otten, Cook, Dangerfield.

Otten and Petrenko were superb. Looked at home at afl level and will play many quality games for this club. Otten is just a rock in defence and combine his height, athleticism and class and he is going to be a gun. Petrenko (you beauty) is all class. His creativness combined with his strong defensive play is going to make him a truly great player. The maturity for a teenage 1st gamer is so impressive. Must keep his spot whether ot not Stiffy comes back.

Danger looks much more comfortable this year and he is a big boy for his age. Looks strong, has pace and will be a very good player. did enough to show that he belongs at this level. If he'd kicked that last goal I think we'd be talking up his game even more.

Cook looks good. Gets so much of the ball and goes in hard. just needs to dispose better. hopefully that will come as he gets more comfortable at this level. Finishing with that goal would really have capped off his game.

Walker - not on a lot and only had a handful of it but that goal was awesome and his work on the wing in the last quarter which ended with the Cook mark was all class. Craigy will ease him in. Hopefully he'll really fire up 2010/11 and have a buddy 08 type year.

Other players:

Macca was superby. Turned the clock back a few years and looked fit and strong.

Edwards - see Macca. Will cause some headaches for opposition.

Eeevan - Love him. sticking up for Petrenko was fantastic to see. Been a while since we've had a player with his aggression.

Rowdy - Looked a bit proppy up forward but looked a lot more comfortable when he went down back and got a bit of the ball. Just fantastic to see the big fella back in his first proper game back. Well done Trent!

VB - Coming back from injury - great effort. 2 important goals.

vince - So classy- it's his year to step up to elite staus.

Dougie - up and down but that goal was quality!
The Bad:

The goal kicking...again. Should never have been that close.

Letting the Pies kick away in the third.

Giving me several minor heart attcks in the second half.

The Ugly:

Nothing looks ugly tonight.

GO CROWS!!!

the good
the kids, the oldies, fighting back in the 3rd quarter, 4 valuable points
NO INJURIES! and the confidence our youngsters will get from beating the pies at the g.
the bad
ruck work and stoppages, missing some goals we could have iced them early, umps werent great but ive seen much worse displays
the ugly
jason dunstalls head on foxtel

The Good

They way the kinds play. And by kids I am refering to Petrenko, Otten, Cook, Dangerfield and to lesser extent Walker. Petrenko and Otten in particular were great contributors and Dangerfield is just a real footballer with a freakish footy ability. Cook need to learn how to kick but the kid has a red hot go and loves to run and carry.

Our rolling zone. I thought it gave Colling wood much grief and they only made a run when they apper to switch to man on man.

The way we played in that first half. I think thats us at our best, the running in numbers, evading tackles, backing each other up and just run and carry that the boys showed was brilliant. And boy did we look super quick out there in that quarter. It was a very exciting brand of footy.

The oldies once again rolled back the clock. McLeod and Edwards in particular.

Big Ivan flying the flag for Petrenko :D

Bernie Vince is a gun and a half.

The Bad

Our goal kicking once again was a mixed bag. We missed 5-6 really getable goal and really if we kicked straight, this game would have never been in doubt.

Our lapses at times but thats expected with the young side.

Knights' decision making at times but overall he had a good game.

Our ruckmen getting spanked by Collingwood ruckmen :eek:

The Ugly

Holding the ball decisions. The one on Petrenko in particular was a real stinker. WTF?! :confused:

Loved our attack on the ball - the boys put their head over it and weren't afraid to get hurt. Porplyzia's effort on the wing in the last few minutes where he road the bump and managed to end up with the ball was awesome.

As mentioned our goal kicking was a worry again but I did enjoy seeing VB and Knighta back themselves and go back from outside fifty without a second thought and slot those goals. Shows a bit of leadership and willingness to take the game on.

The goods:
Being at the game.
Ottens looked really comfortable in his third game. He wasnt afraid to take on players.
Jared Petrenko reminds me of Rioli for some reason. Seemed like he had 30 touches
The veterans (goody, maccas and edwards) played well.
Dangerfield was just awesome
Cook was exciting.
VB, Porplyzia and knights kicking the important goals :thumbsu:
Bernie Vince :)

The bads:
3rd quarter. Reminded me of round 15
To me, it seemed like collingwood were dominating the clearances
At half time we doubled collingwoods scoring shot but we were only 12 points up :thumbsdown:. Crows still got to work on their accuracy

Jared Petrenko reminds me of Rioli for some reason.

Speaking of roly-poly Dean Rioli, how do you reckon he would've gone with those guernseys?

Looked uncomfortable.

The Good

- Foxtel always updating their coverage with a new look again this year. Wish 7 and 10 did this (10 hasn't updated theirs since 2005)

- The abilty to come from behind to win

- The youngsters stepping up and all having a great day. The future is very exciting!

- Beating Collingwood

The Bad

- The first half of the third quarter. Four goals - three from defensive blunders. Our defense cannot afford to do this too often and get away with it.

- Our kicking at goal. Needs to improve.

The Ugly

- John Anthony and his handbag

The Ugly

- Swan. You're a big tough man with that hideous ink. I don't know what he's got more of - really crappy tats or career uncontested possesions!

Nah you got it wrong that's a map of the prison he's intending to break out of :D

His tat does look feral, but then he plays for Collingwood :D

The Good
Our ball movement. We brought the ball back into the corridor at every opportunity. Looked fantastic. Less possessions but more damage. We were more potent as a result and actually looked like scoring goals for the first time since 2006.

Another team played a stinker against us for a change - you beauty! Dubai all over again.

Winning the free kick count in Melbourne in a close game - a genuine rarity.

Courage from Douglas in the last quarter.

Game under the belt for Porplyzia. Showed a few glimpses and will be better for the run. I'm backing him for 4 goals next Friday night.

The Bad
Collingwood allowing us a ridiculous amount of space through the middle and across half back. Meant that our new game style and ball movement pattern wasn't tested to any degree.

No genuine match up for a mid-sized marking forward. Anthony looked like he would kick a bag and would have had Collingwood not played their worst game in 8 years. No Bassett will have some ramifications.

The Ugly
Me tipping Collingwood by 44 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Good.

- away win, against a good team, in round one with a team full of exciting kids
- ball movement (esp. early), we had a plan that was executed well and was very effective
- each of the players back from injury (porps, truck and vb) all contributed well and seemingly pulled up unscathed
- being able to come back at end of q3 to tie it up and then hold on to win in the last
- each of the young uns showed something to look fwd to for many years, otten and petrenko were outstanding

The Bad.

- Collingwood fans haven't changed
- goalkicking needs work still (but some great goals were scored)
- third qtr lapse
- umps were confusing (didn't change the result - for a change)

The Ugly.

- poor old cooky's shot for goal after a great grab (would've iced the game and boosted his confidence even further) - he was very good though
- Bernie (without a doubt BOG with macca) burning the ball going fwd 3 or 4 times, his disposal is usually a strength
(if this is as ugly as it gets this season i'll be very happy)

Because you watching it with them won't give the result away... :p

They know I'm fanatical enough to watch it again just to observe the games of youngsters regardless of the loss. Of course they knew that if it was just a massive blow-out I wouldn't rewatch it so they just saddled up for a tight contest. Certainly in the last few minutes they had no idea who would win! :p

Great - Umpiring in the first half

Good - 21 of our players

Bad - Walker - I can only think of 3 touches he had (just checked the stats 5 touches). Each of those 3 were good touches (goal, missed goal, composure late in the last) but he never really got into the game besides that. Yes I know he's young so i would give him another game, but a match like that next week and I wouldnt be suprised if Gill comes in for him

Ugly - Umpiring in the 2nd half

but a match like that next week and I wouldnt be suprised if Gill comes in for him

Yeah. Fantastic.

They can put away those shirt lauchers and have Gill taking set shots with the shirts instead.

Bad - Walker - I can only think of 3 touches he had (just checked the stats 5 touches). Each of those 3 were good touches (goal, missed goal, composure late in the last) but he never really got into the game besides that.
lol.

how can you classify him as 'bad'?

a debutant who kicks one of the best 'first kick in afl goals' you're likely to see, and contributes within the team structure. i'll tell you now something your unlikely to see on tv, walker gave his player the slip a couple of times, one was a brilliant dummy and he was on his own 10m space, but myke cook sprayed the kick badly and therefore it made walker look bad. now i'm sure one of these 'what if' cases could be made for every player on the ground, but as i said he did some very smart things and got into some good positions. he just needs game time.

Yes I know he's young so i would give him another game, but a match like that next week and I wouldnt be suprised if Gill comes in for him
well im glad your willing to let him have another go. personally i think he should be delisted. :rolleyes:

The Good:

All the above.
With the inclusion of our tackling especially young Cook.
Porps holding up for the whole game and putting the icing on the cake when it mattered.

I think the thing with Walker is that we've built him up in our minds to the point where we were hoping to see multiple goals each game from him. After pretty much every other youngster performed above expectation, we were disappointed we didn't see the same from Walker.

The thing to remember with Walker is that he's a forward. Petrenko, Dangerfield, Cook, Otten, they're all around the ball, in the thick of things, always with an oppurtunity to get into play. Walker relies on good delivery and fast ball movement to do his thing. For most of the second and third quarters, we didn't get near our forward line much and when we did it wasn't as though our forward entries had much precision. In the fourth quarter when the game was on the line, he pushed down the ground and applied pressure instead of being a stay at home forward, and we instead played four small pacy forwards.

I would have loved to see him get more of the ball too but really, it's not as though he missed too many oppurtunities today.

Great - Umpiring in the first half

Good - 21 of our players

Bad - Walker - I can only think of 3 touches he had (just checked the stats 5 touches). Each of those 3 were good touches (goal, missed goal, composure late in the last) but he never really got into the game besides that. Yes I know he's young so i would give him another game, but a match like that next week and I wouldnt be suprised if Gill comes in for him

Ugly - Umpiring in the 2nd half

I'm sorry mate, but just because four of our 2 games or less brigade player above expectations, you can't just go labeling Walker's game as bad. The last thing you should really be looking at is the possession count, especially in a game where key forwards such as himself struggled to have much of an impact. Look at the composure of the lad and what he did with the footy when he had it. To slot that goal from the pocket as cooly as he did was something special, his second grab was a pretty decent one too, almost took a great pack grab too. The kid is ready to play AFL footy and I'd be extremely disappointed if he was dropped for Nick Gill next week.

Petrenko: Make no mistake; this kid will be a legitimate star in this competition. He was absolutely brilliant on debut today and looked at ease out there. His disposal was great, his tackling superb, but it was his pace, courage and confidence was what stood out. He never fumbled or panicked or became unsure of himself. He took them on, backed himself and in the end he played a tremendous game. He moves exceptionally well and seems to have the ability to evade tackles. For a small guy he is built like a tank and he NEVER shies away from a contest. I love this kid. :)

Dangerfield: I think people are underrating his game as I felt he was real effective. 15 disposals, most of which were won around the stoppages. He won the hard ball, tackled well and kicked a nice running goal. I was about to go nuts at that last shot on goal but unfortunately he missed. Poor first attempt at a mark but made up for it not long after with a great 1-on-1 grab against Davis. Liked his game and when he eventually puts it all together you get the feeling he could be scarily good.

Otten: Apart from that one mistake in the first he was faultless. Looked real classy out there and was very composed. Took a few nice marks, had one very timely spoil and in a few years time he’ll be a ball magnet as he knows where to run to find space. He should be a permanent fixture of our defence this year.

Cook: Good game from Cook, tackled extremely well and was always around the packs looking to get involved. Had a bit of the fumbles but the signs were encouraging. Took an athletic mark in the last term, just wish he drilled the goal which would’ve meant goals to all our debutants.

Walker: Didn’t do a whole lot but that goal sums him up. He loves the big occasion and it was great seeing all his teammates come and congratulate him on the goal.

Hentschel: Safe to say a bit quiet but got better as the match wore on and got through the game unscathed.

Edwards and McLeod: Legends, absolute legends. Edwards seems to be over his poor disposal patch of last year and McLeod should get the 3 votes as he was amazing.

Douglas: Everyone knows I’ve been on his back but gee he was great at times today. Disposal good, excellent goal and that spoil on Thomas in the last term was inspirational. Please more of the same Richie!

Maric: Again defending his mates, I love seeing it. Not a massive game from Ivan but the stats read well, 11 possessions and 21 hit-outs.

Vince: A few loose disposals and some rushed kicks that weren’t near teammates but still 33 touches and 11 marks and he was everywhere.

Knights’ game is being judged far too harshly. Disposal wasn’t nearly as bad as some are making it out to be. Won a lot of the footy, was always an option for teammates around the packs and he kicked an extremely important goal in the last term from 55 out.

Van Berlo: Next captain, I’ll probably end up repeating that after every game. He used the ball brilliantly and some of his passes were perfect. He actually kicked straight today finishing with 2.0. I’ve said for a while now that if he can start doing more damage on the scoreboard he will be a very good midfielder.

Tippett had a shocker, nothing went his way. Doughty was better than in previous weeks and looked like last years Doughty. Porplyzia was a bit quiet but kicked two important goals and his play in the last minute where he hit the contest hard, took a bump, and handballed to Mackay was genius. Speaking of Mackay, maybe a tad quiet but he was very classy and cool under pressure. I love having him in the side.

Scott Stevens continues to go under the radar with 3 goals. Such a solid, dependable player. Bock and Rutten were rocks in defence.

GREAT start to what should be a very exciting year!

Porplyzia's effort on the wing in the last few minutes where he road the bump and managed to end up with the ball was awesome.
I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned this, it was absolutely brilliant!

In the final quarter so many players from both teams were completely out on their feet and making errors and costly turnovers and Porps charged through 3 Collingwood players, rode a bump and dished out a perfect clearing handball to a free player. If Collingwood had taken possession they would have had another inside 50 and potentially another scoring opportunity. Games are won and lost in plays like this & I thought it was tremendous and underplayed by the commentators and by most here on BF. All class Porps!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good, the bad and the ugly - Rnd 1 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back