The Great, Good and Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

We're getting a pedantic here.. or i am ;)... but.. what do you mean?

If the ball is on the deck on the wing and a player from each side is running for it, Craigy would want the crows player to fill space, keep the opponent boundary side and let them take possession and tackler? As opposed to under Sando expecting the player to go hard at it, win the contest and get it forward at all costs?
(silly example but not sure the distinction you are trying to make).

And I would never have thought Tippo could challenge DMac for seriousness....... He looks like a guy who is not happy in his work.......... But we are winning and his contribution is readily appreciated by almost everybody. So why isn't he smiling?....it's got me a little worried.

I'm kinda disappointed nobodygrasped my allusion.....I am worried Tippo has the same unsmiling look that Norman Gunston had. Please sign Kurtley .

I'm kinda disappointed nobodygrasped my allusion.....I am worried Tippo has the same unsmiling look that Norman Gunston had. Please sign Kurtley .

I think it's a good observation and may have some merit.

He's definitely not in Fun Mode the way some of the other guys are.

Whether that is just because his form is down / he's been playing a bit sore or whether it is because he has emotionally checked out already remains to be seen. It is certainly a trait of players that do leave that the fun and enjoyment disappears (Ablett 2010, Scully 2011). Not that Scully ever seemed the life of the party.

Want some first pumps to the crowd and high fives this week please.

We're getting a pedantic here.. or i am ;)... but.. what do you mean?

If the ball is on the deck on the wing and a player from each side is running for it, Craigy would want the crows player to fill space, keep the opponent boundary side and let them take possession and tackler? As opposed to under Sando expecting the player to go hard at it, win the contest and get it forward at all costs?
(silly example but not sure the distinction you are trying to make).
I mean the rest of the side, not the two guys in the contest.

If 2 players were going at a 50/50 ball, I believe Craig's preference was for us to set up defensively, in case we didn't win the contest.

Under Sando, I believe he's backing the player in to win that 50/50 contest, and instructing our guys to launch their attacks while the ball is still in dispute.

Hawthorn do it - they destroyed us by doing it; that game, anytime there was a 50/50 footy, their mids were already streaming forward in numbers, which is why, when they did win the contest, so many of their goals were from quick chains of possession while our guys looked flat footed and a kick behind the play.

And I think Kurt hates it when he doesn't make a decent contribution to the team, I think he puts immense pressure on himself to be the main man up forward, and when he can't dominate, he's filthy.

If 2 players were going at a 50/50 ball, I believe Craig's preference was for us to set up defensively, in case we didn't win the contest.

Under Sando, I believe he's backing the player in to win that 50/50 contest, and instructing our guys to launch their attacks while the ball is still in dispute.

This! The Sydney call I was shaking my head at Roos' continual call when there was a bounce on the wing that we needed to be dropping players back and setting up defensively. Showed exactly his coaching mindset which was about minimising harm. We are no 1 in clearances and contested ball, why on earth would he think we were about to lose a 50/50 contest? If we instructed our players to do that we are putting a little doubt in their mind that we can't win it.

And I think Kurt hates it when he doesn't make a decent contribution to the team, I think he puts immense pressure on himself to be the main man up forward, and when he can't dominate, he's filthy.

I agree on this as well. Kurt isn't the most demonstrative bloke at the best of times. He is a very proud and competitive individual who is incredibly hard on himself.

Has Kurt ever really showed any emotion? Apart from maybe when he kicked (what should have been) the winning goal against Collingwood in that final - I can't even really remember that as I was blind drunk - I don't really remember ever seeing him anything other than deadpan.

Even when I see him out and about in town he always seems to have that same kind of dopey, blank look on his face.

Good observations WW.

Great coaching of Talia ...he's obviously a long way off being even very good
So he's being asked to not do things outside his current capabilities ...just stick to and beat your man

Yep, like the comparison to Presti during the game. Keep the plan simple and limit the mistakes whilst getting experience under the belt.

Smith very disappointing today .....has shut some good players down but lots of mistakes today .....could make way for Shaw

Yep agreed. People on here probably rate him higher than I do. Good player, but not quite there yet. Suspect Douglas, Lyons or Shaw could replace him in the coming weeks.

Congratulations on playing a great style of footie. Your team is clean and hard at it. Your bigger bodies and enthusiasm are underestimated. I like the way your guys moved the ball fast and efficiently - and the way your forward and backward running never stopped.

Things may get a litlle harder for you looking forward. Expect your ruckman to start getting serious attention and the contests a tad harder to win with each gameas teh year goes on - Iand I hope you dont get a run of injuries to set you back.

Well done rubbing our faces in it fair and square.

See you in September.

Hawthorn do it - they destroyed us by doing it; that game, anytime there was a 50/50 footy, their mids were already streaming forward in numbers...

Yep...and I couldn't believe how we seeme3d to be cast in stone during that game.....but the improvement since has been extraordinary. We seem to be positioning and pre-empting very positively. Having extra rapid movement/spreading from stoppages, both defensively and offensively is a huge part of todays game.

I mean the rest of the side, not the two guys in the contest.

Hawthorn do it - they destroyed us by doing it; that game, anytime there was a 50/50 footy, their mids were already streaming forward in numbers, which is why, when they did win the contest, so many of their goals were from quick chains of possession while our guys looked flat footed and a kick behind the play.

Gotcha - well said. Salient even ;)

I think there is certainly a degree of difference there. I would ask you what role Reilly plays in the team though. Loose man in defense or attacking winger? (sure, that can be argued as an attacking position but it still stacking your defence).

Agree with you on Kurt as well. BUt one of those little fist to palm love-taps with Tex will go down a treat thanks ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Great, Good and Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back