Oppo Camp The Hawthorn Racism Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Suggested by many in here, and now ignorance isn’t possible for any club as Eddie Betts has begged for it on national television, but if the Eagles aren’t arranging a review on their practices tomorrow, they’ve ****ed up. Especially as there was some crossover between Simmo and the Hawks during this time. Not suggesting anything about us or him, but smart business would be looking into this immediately.

Even a club as archaic as West Coast surely shouldn’t fumble this. If the human impact isn’t enough to drive them then surely the irreparable damage to club’s reputation (and therefore finances, the only language they speak) if something similar blindsided them later should jolt them into action.

I’m assuming a reference to the grossly misinterpreted “clubs will just draft private school boys” comment.

The point of which was please AFL, let us spend money on indigenous welfare outside the soft cap so we can them into the game, where it might otherwise all seem to be ‘too hard’ so you go with the allegedly safer rich private school kid option.
It was clumsily worded by Simmo, but I don't think anyone could ever doubt his loyalty to his players and indeed our indigenous footballers. Admittedly things ended a bit rocky with Lewis Jetta but I'm sure that was a football related issue.

As I said in another thread (didn't see that this one had been started) I'd be staggered if Simpson was directly involved. The club does need to find out where he stood in all this.

If your take on this issue is “we need to explore if it’s technically racist”, give yourself an uppercut and wade over to one of the deadshit threads for deadshits.

Nailed it. The reason some of us are interested in figuring out whether something is racist or not racist is the world is full of attention seeking scum desperate to get attention by fabricating accusations of racism. Like for instance just making up racist quotes that a poster has never come close to saying and pretending its proof a poster you don't like is a racist. Or using mod powers to edit peoples posts so it looks like they have said something they haven't. Or quote replying and changing the wording of someones posts so you can dunk on them. You know, just your average day to day life as an unemployed social media account manager whiling away the hours moderating an Internet forum hoping the winds change in your favour one day. Tip: they won't.

Nailed it. The reason some of us are interested in figuring out whether something is racist or not racist is the world is full of attention seeking scum desperate to get attention by fabricating accusations of racism. Like for instance just making up racist quotes that a poster has never come close to saying and pretending its proof a poster you don't like is a racist. Or using mod powers to edit peoples posts so it looks like they have said something they haven't. Or quote replying and changing the wording of someones posts so you can dunk on them. You know, just your average day to day life as an unemployed social media account manager whiling away the hours moderating an Internet forum hoping the winds change in your favour one day. Tip: they won't.
I’m truly sorry to hear you feel that way Moose.

It sounds like there’s a real power imbalance on this forum. Do you feel like you’re being disproportionately affected by that? That sounds so disheartening.

What a truly unique situation you’ve found yourself, I’d love for you to explore that some more.

Please tell me how this systemic failure has affected your life, employment, housing, interactions with police, posting on this free internet forum.

If it makes it easier for you to understand why people are so riled up Moosey old man, just imagine the players were white. Here, I'll simplify the opening paragraph for you:

Fox News said:
Hawthorn review to allege that former coaches separated players from families and demanded a pregnancy termination

Now you don't need to worry your pretty little head about whether or not Clarkson, Fagan and friends are racist or not, and you can focus on the whole separating players from their families and pressuring them into abortions thing.

View attachment 1514701View attachment 1514702

Put up a strong argument before he mentioned Simmo. Simmo’s comments were extremely poor but far from racist
It does have a strong whiff of the attitude that seemed to prevail at Hawthorn though. Namely that some people’s social situations are more desirable to the club than others.

It’s easy enough to make the connection, considering he cut his teeth in the same environment.

So Its reported tonight that Fagan wasn’t in this meeting that he apparently was named as being in and denys all knowledge of said meeting taking place…

Watson
Rioli
Ryan
Cameron
Winder
Jones
Kelly
Ah Chee
Petrevski-Seton
Jetta

Have all been brought in during Simpson’s time at the club.
Which of them were 18-19 when they were recruited though? Most seem to be a bit older - I wonder if that is a factor?

I wish this was the case, but they have become increasingly biased over the years. My friend worked there and said they didn't even try and hide it. When he left for other opportunities, they also mentioned he'd be unlikely to ever be hired back, as they won't hire white males for reporting roles anymore.
And yet there are no shortages of white males in reporting roles at the ABC. I find it hard to believe that that would be discussed at an exit interview, whether it's the ABC or otherwise. Your mate is disgruntled and having a lend of you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone take issue with Simpsons comments at the time?

If they did, I didn’t hear or see it
They did, it was a race to see who could misinterpret them first and slam him.

I spent a bit of time at the ABC.

Unless it's drastically changed, coverage was always down the line, and journalists would scrutinise one side as much as the other, whatever their leanings.

The majority of staff are left leaning, but it's mostly bookish, centre left types. Hardly the alleged band of pinkos.

I wouldn't have picked Clarko to ever do anything like this. I hope out of this all clubs do a review

There’s not a single coach in the AFL that I would have believed would be capable of doing what’s been reported. It’s horrible. But here we are

I really want to hear his, and Fagan’s, version of the events described. Best case scenario is it comes across as some sort of badly misguided attempt to help players that were having struggles. Not sure how that happens though

That said, if I was asked which coach was most likely to go to such a ruthless action I’d guess either Lyon or Clarkson. Fagan not so much

Did anyone take issue with Simpsons comments at the time?

If they did, I didn’t hear or see it
Yeah there was a fair bit of blow back - a number of articles about it.

Sadly, all of it taken out of context - he was advocating for the soft cap cuts to be reversed to assist clubs support players with more complex needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Hawthorn Racism Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back