Toast The New Carlton Thread: inexperienced Collingwood winger to rule Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

What would Patrick Cripps be worth to West Coast, especially if Carlton were prepared to pay a chunk of his salary?
The conversation would start at Cripps. + Carlton 1st +
No way I’d pay that…even to get Cripps off the books
They be better off using their existing pick IMO and trading Cripps for whatever they could get
They think they’re going to use their 2024 1st to get another 1st rounder…I’m still not sure who gives it to them

The conversation would start at Cripps. + Carlton 1st +
No way I’d pay that…even to get Cripps off the books

At this rate Carlton’s 1st will end up being pick 4 or something. N.Daicos was pick 4. George Wardlaw was pick 4.

WCE would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Can’t imagine Carlton would but.

They’re a real mess over there on the Carlton Board. They don’t know who to sack first - the coach, the Board or the players - but one thing is certain, there will be casualties. They might just have to nuke the joint and start over.

It’s nearly 30 years since their last flag and barely a finals appearance since then. Lots of posters on their board say they have never experienced the joy of team success. Most seem to be going through stages 2-4 of the five stages of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression & acceptance. Mostly the depression stage. Still a long way from acceptance.

They seem so down in the dumps that I find myself almost feeling sorry for them.

Nah, not really.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I sense a real state of panic starting to take hold there as the reality of their shitfullness starts to sink in.

Good work by the way arguing over there that Voss needs a 3 year extension, most humorous.

Agree. Their best bet is going left field and getting Adam Yze.
Give him 5+ years at a minimum.
Yze has done the hard yards like our Fly has.
IQ of around 50+ over the joker Voss.
I disagree. Their best bet is either to give Voss a 5 year extension or to sign Mark Neeld. If I was running Carlton they would be the only 2 names on my list. For their assistants, I’d look no further than Ken Bruce and Franco Cozzo.

Last edited:
I sense a real state of panic starting to take hold there as the reality of their shitfullness starts to sink in.

Good work by the way arguing over there that Voss needs a 3 year extension, most humorous.

Panic is good. In the crumbling world that is Carlton, it comes after infighting and before implosion.

Panic is good. In the crumbling world that is Carlton, it comes after infighting and before implosion.

And implosion leads to renewal (nourishing green shoots and all that …)

And every time, I worry that Carlton are then going to come good - surely! And every time they quickly degenerate into rubbish again.

I feel like a baby playing peek-a-boo. Even after the fourth time it’s still a mind blowing surprise and my body erupts into fits of giggles.

Is there anything we could do to assist further? - happy to do anything (almost) at no charge to help out

Absolutely! We just need to be successful.

At its core Carlton aren’t upset about their team’s performances. They’re upset that there are 13 teams better than them. And that Collingwood is one of them - a team that was 17th barely 18 months ago.

Absolutely! We just need to be successful.

At its core Carlton aren’t upset about their team’s performances. They’re upset that there are 13 teams better than them. And that Collingwood is one of them - a team that was 17th barely 18 months ago.

The realisation that we have their second pick has set in, they’re not happy about it, it’s beautiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they talk about standing by Voss, but I'd be surprised if Voss keeps his job if they somehow manage to finish bottom 4

“Somehow manage to finish bottom 4” is a real possibility.

North are now starting to play decent footy and they’ve still got 11 games left to prove themselves. Hawks are hot and cold, but they’ve managed some good wins in recent times. GWS have been playing better than a bottom 4 side.

WCE are probably the only ones Carlton might find very difficult to catch, but hey, if we played them into form last week, and they start getting decent players back from injury, even they’re a very remote possibility of getting overtaken by Carlton in the race to the bottom.

Carlton’s second rounder bundled with our first might actually enable us to climb the draft order given their slide down the ladder

Carlton’s second rounder bundled with our first might actually enable us to climb the draft order given their slide down the ladder
If we can package them up into something in the 10-14 range that would be nice

I know they talk about standing by Voss, but I'd be surprised if Voss keeps his job if they somehow manage to finish bottom 4
as sure as night follows day, carlton will zig when they should zag, after sacking coaches that they should’ve stuck with, I can see them sticking with Voss when they should move him on, it would be just so carlton to make the wrong call.

What trade gave us Carlton's second rounder - keep it simple please - I get lost in AFL trade stuff

At some point, Carlton will make a call on their season. Once finals stop being an objective, the playing group will be instructed to tank to gain a higher draft pick with a youth first policy.

Patrick Cripps entered the league before Mason Cox, Brayden Maynard and Jordan De Goey. While all three are yet to taste the personal success Cripps has enjoyed, they have tasted team victories, which ultimately is more important. If Cripps can't play finals, his legacy, even as a Brownlow Medallist, will be lesser. Buckley won a Brownlow and in lieu of a premiership, his career is seen as almost but not quite there.

The 2021 Collingwood season was in every way as disastrous as this season for Carlton. In fact, more so due to the issues with racism. However, the club had the sense to bring about drastic, sweeping change and subsequently improve the future. With Fly and Daicos, a new era began and the club has not looked back. Fly was chosen for Collingwood's group as he is an educator, a quiet leader and a personality that read the room of change. He really does not compare to the big characters who have coached Collingwood in the past. Not many of us on here would have recollections of the great Jock McHale, but Fly seems to carry his humility. You don't see Fly bragging. Unlike at Carlton where the players look burdened, the Pies side is free. Did the loss for Brisbane derail the season? No. The players talk about this attitude to focus on the good, reflect on the bad and laugh through the pain. And better yet, off-field, the club is now very inclusive and family/life comes before football. That is not to say players can waltz in and have no responsibility, but the club now sees the bigger picture and it enables the playing corps to perform. The negative rumours emerging from Collingwood have faded considerably and it is not because the journalists have changed.

Would a man like Fly work at a club such as Carlton? It depends. The dysfunctional board room filled with Melbourne's elite would drive anyone up the walls and Fly does not strike me as particularly elitist. But if the club was prepared to change and listen, then they would benefit from his methodology. Ultimately, Carlton is lost and in sacking Voss, they will simply repeat history and some simple facts below highlight this.

Since 2003:

Pagan: Sacked a year early after no real improvement was made.
Ratten: Sacked a year early after a loss to Gold Coast in the SUNS' debut season.
Malthouse: Sacked after he criticised the club's administrators on radio.
Barker: Served out his tenure as interim, remained an assistant.
Bolten: Sacked after winning just 16 out of 77 matches.
Teague: Sacked after the 2021 season.
Voss: Currently coaching.

71% of coaches have been sacked since 2003 for a total of four wooden spoons. It would seem that irrespective of coach, the problems are somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The New Carlton Thread: inexperienced Collingwood winger to rule Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back