Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Opposition fans told us for years that Scott was a really good coach but we were just a shit team that didn't have the resources of a big club. But now he's at a big club and the same shit is happening. So what's the excuse now?
The main factor is the continued over rating of their list. Bringing in a cooked Goldstein, a limited McKay, an absolute journeyman in Gresham and a cat in Duursma was a masterstroke. For the rest of the AFL.

Their expectations far outweigh their actual ability.

And it’s glorious.

The Essendon board having gone from Ben McKay as AA to: 'why can't he handball'?

A: he's a limited footballer. If you're going to spend marquee money, don't spend it on a B grader

One of my favourite football memories is from last year when my normally one eyed grandpa started to turn on McKay (put off by the petulance). Can’t remember the game, but Scott missed a 15 metre chip pass to him that went out of bounds on the full, and my grandpa explodes “that was your fault McKay, for standing too close to the boundary!”

“That was your fault, McKay” has become a bit of an inside joke with my family now. My partner is a * and my word I’ve enjoyed being able to say it this year - it got a massive work out last night

McKays first half last night was reminiscent of Jonathan Hay in his NM stint.

The Essendon board having gone from Ben McKay as AA to: 'why can't he handball'?

A: he's a limited footballer. If you're going to spend marquee money, don't spend it on a B grader
don’t let mckay think, give him 1 or 2 instructions before the game. you can see the wheels turning in his head when he has 1-2 seconds to make a decision.

A couple of points.

Went to the game last night. Comfortably the best game I've seen all season. Really enjoyed it.

For all North's dumpster fire list management in the past ten years, no player we've let go somewhere else has really come back to haunt us. We know a washed up footballer when we see one. Goldy is washed up. His 5 possession, negative metres gained match hurt the Bombers. Sad for him, but whilst he's wearing that poxy red sash he can suck a fat one.

Ben McKay should blush when he looks at his bank account. His second quarter was awful, his mistakes under the Crows onslaught being poor for a first gamer. In the long run, we'll do OK out of losing such a limited player.

Adelaide bemuse me. I look at their list and think it's a bit meh - lots of B graders, lots of D graders, not much in between. On the ladder they're very meh. But somehow I think they should be better than what they have been.
Wood might be the only one, but I'd accept not counting him purely because of how mentally cooked he was with us. He is the picture perfect definition of a bloke that needed a fresh start.

did toby greene just kick a goal of the year contender? commentary was fairly quiet when he kicked like it was a run of the mill set shot from the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast are in a world of pain. Can't see them moving out of the bottom four for the next few years. List is all sorts of average.

St. Kilda on the other hand actually have nice pieces all over the field. Wouldn't surprise if they are back in the eight next season.

I’ve got a grudging respect for them. For starters, being from Adelaide i barracked for them until 1994 (I was at their prelim loss to Essendon in 1993). And in the end, after switching as a 10yr old, both North and the Crows ended up with 2 flags in the 90’s.

The state went nuts in 97 though and it was hard not to get caught up in it, especially because of Blight. But wasn’t regretting it, I was still riding the wave of 1996.

Apparently something happened in September 1998 but I’m not sure. Legend has it something occurred. I’m not going on the dark web to find out though.

Traditionally, I haven’t minded Essendon either but it’s kinda funny watching them act like North in 2013 this year, and I watch and hope for the Bard to lose his cool after being mr polished afl lackey charging others for dissent during his time there.

I like Matty Nicks too. Wish him well.

I have come to tolerate Adelaide in recent years. That thing in 98 sucked but that was our fault more than anything

Port on the other hand, have gone from meh to hated in the last 2 years due to obvious reasons as well as the behaviour of their supporters

Last edited:
West Coast are in a world of pain. Can't see them moving out of the bottom four for the next few years. List is all sorts of average.

St. Kilda on the other hand actually have nice pieces all over the field. Wouldn't surprise if they are back in the eight next season.

St Kilda are going nowhere. Ross couldn't do it with much better lists he's not doing it with this one. They are beating up on the worst team in the league, nothing special.

The thing is, they will get a few players wanting to come home, same with Freo, always 1-2 wanting to come back and raise kids over here
Short term it’s painful but next few years they will be ok… just need a version of Noble to take the hit until the kids start maturing for a Dean Cox to come home and right the ship

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back