Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

I have come to tolerate Adelaide in recent years. That thing in 98 sucked but that was our fault more than anything

Port on the other hand, have gone from meh to hated in the last 2 years due to obvious reasons as well as the behaviour of their supporters

I actually attended a shittonne of port games back in the day due to ex family including the 2004 flag. My experience? The bay I was in were all respectful. At AAMI for Archer’s last outing, the sheer amount of rusted-on Port supporters who sought me out knowing I was a Roo and came up to me speaking glowingly about Arch was incredible. We had it over Port back then too. Something they respectfully, grudgingly acknowledged with a smile.

But these people were the real fans. True footy fans who would still be there rain, hail or shine. I wasn’t there after 2010 so I didn’t see the Primus years, or the tarps etc. But I have to say that by 2006, the bay I sat in had half as many supporters as 02-04 (many magically returned the following year 🙄 only to disappear again). Most of the rusted-on fans are quality though. They have a massive component of FIFO fans though, only there when they’re going well.

Many of them also have short memories. I mean the way some are treating Ken Hinkley is deplorable. They all forget the club being on its knees and staring down the barrel of non-existence before Ken and co. came in and turned the place around. I get that he’s probably had too long but the absolute vitriol against him is quite disturbing. Same as Koch - they forget what he’s done and he didn’t have to put his hat in the ring.

It would be like us turning on Laidley/Scott and Brayshaw etc in the mid 10’s. Wouldn’t happen. Scott’s been criticised for the way he left the list and some of his coaching tactics but nobody would rock up to boo Scott and the overwhelming sentiment to Brayshaw will eternally be “thanks”. I’m not sure why it’s not the same for Koch given that it took him, Ken and completely moving to a new stadium to save the club.

I’ve always felt great at Alberton - it’s a real suburban ground with soul and I like watching games there. Weirdly, there’s a huge component of Port fans who would abandon all that overnight and throw it away to join the VFL - despite harping on about all their SANFL flags, prison bar etc.

I’m somewhat of a fly-in but I seem to “get” that club and the spirit of their existence more than some of their supposed fans. Can be a weird mob. It’s like they don’t appreciate what they have.. They’re quick to call the Crows an “empty franchise” yet some of these Port “fans” will howl their entire organisation down to its absolute knees if they don’t get a cheap sugar hit. Like petulant kids, some of them. And I don’t know how you can possibly be a “casual” Port fan - you walk into Alberton and it’s hard not to be consumed. But there are so many fickle, casuals who hover around Port, have a lot to say, then disappear when they’re not doing so well. Really odd.

We joke about tarps but it literally happened - people stopped showing up until the club was almost insolvent. And many are threatening to do it again. So ungrateful.

Also Choco Williams will always be one of my favourite football personalities. The drive home from Footy Park win, lose or draw was always entertaining because of his pressers on AM radio in the car. A brilliant footy mind from a brilliant footy family, down to earth and hilarious. Love Choco.

Last edited:

The pies remind me of Rocky 3, the defending champion who loses that "eye of the tiger" and that hunger, and gets mauled by a hungry Clubber Lang, they are very close in my opinion to getting knocked out before the bell rings!
This is the opposition when facing a toothless Collingwood and what to expect....
Animated GIF

Hawks are gritty. They’re not afraid of winning, no matter who’s playing or their age. We could learn a thing or two.

(I understand the Pies will possibly come back and win but you get my drift).
Lot to like about the hawks.
Pisses me off but I enjoy the way the play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing about the collingwood/dawkthorn match is all of those w@nkers are sitting outside in the cold! Hope Pendles does a 6 week hammy - leave Boomers record alone you seagull

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back