Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

ginnivan with a great day out.
31 disposals, 2 goals and 11 score involvements

pies player hate him soo much and want nothing to do with him they didn’t even want to man him up.

The government has contributed billions to Bowling Alley Stadium and none of it has been used on drainage.
I said the exact same thing to my Dad earlier

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpeg
    IMG_5722.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 51
Run of the mill give and get(sort of), runs too far, and over cooks the kick

'Big moment'

Give me a flipping break...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was going to post the same thing. I like the kid, I really do, but the media focus is insane.

The fend off was alright, but happens 10 times a game, and is one of his strengths. He then runs 25m and kicks it nowhere.

But yeah, highlight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just seems like their main focus every year is to get better and to win. They don’t seem to make excuses. Some clubs have it. Right now we don’t and haven’t had for a long time.
There's no magic to it. Unlike us, they didn't butcher their senior group. Real question is whether their young guys will take them all the way when their senior players start dropping off.

Last edited:
It's been more than a few years for them. Plenty of players from the Clarko era.
We've only had two drafts (counting the Sheez) and one trade period really to recruit with some sort of stability.
I think we'll catch up soon enough but right now they're a year or two ahead of us on their build.

Yes that's true. They expect to win flags given their history.
But it's amazing to me the racism saga didn't cause more turmoil for them, remarkably unscathed in hindsight.
You can say that's strong leadership but there was a leadership and staff change and things could've gone the other way quite easily. To me there's an element of luck as well that's been on their side as well recently.

I distinctly remember a lot on here rating our list ahead of Hawthorn’s a couple of years ago. Even this year, some were pencilling in wins against Hawthorn. Yet here we are. They’re sipping from the oasis, we’re wondering if it’s a mirage.

“We’re a small club and struggle to attract talent” - no, we’ve had a recent history of not developing talent and overpaying spuds. Hawks are a relatively small team. They attract good players. They make average players better. No excuse.

Some teams grab their own narrative by the scruff of the neck, others languish. At least, hopefully, we’ve got a team that will turn it around for us. At the very least, they want to. They’re up for the fight. Recent history considered (outside of the past month or two) it’s reasonable to look at the Hawks and be a bit frustrated that it’s possible for them but never for us.

We’ll get better, but always incrementally. And how much better will we be? Overnight, the Hawks are destroying the reigning premiers. Why not us? Why not ever us?

Next year we’d want to see some Hawks like wins. Not scratching over the wreck of every loss justifying our tiny progress on how great everyone else is. I do believe we will 👍🏼

Last edited:
I distinctly remember a lot on here rating our list ahead of Hawthorn’s a couple of years ago. Even this year, some were pencilling in wins against Hawthorn. Yet here we are. They’re sipping from the oasis, we’re wondering if it’s a mirage.

“We’re a small club and struggle to attract talent” - no, we’ve had a recent history of not developing talent and overpaying spuds. Hawks are a relatively small team. They attract good players. They make average players better. No excuse.

Some teams grab their own narrative by the scruff of the neck, others languish. At least, hopefully, we’ve got a team that will turn it around for us. At the very least, they want to. They’re up for the fight. Recent history considered (outside of the past month or two) it’s reasonable to look at the Hawks and be a bit frustrated that it’s possible for them but never for us.

We’ll get better, but always incrementally. And how much better will we be? Overnight, the Hawks are destroying the reigning premiers. Why not us? Why not ever us?

Next year we’d want to see some Hawks like wins. Not scratching over the wreck of every loss justifying our tiny progress on how great everyone else is. I do believe we will 👍🏼
Don't forget the Hawks looked very ordinary at the start of the year. Winning builds trust in the system.
They know what it looks like when they don't bring it against GC and Cats and what it looks like when they do.
I still think the quality of their 100 plus games like Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Impey, Amon, Worpel and Chol are a little better than ours in terms of ball use and running power. Round 24 will be an interesting litmus test.
And to be fair we probably should've beaten the Pies and the pressure they delivered I think was even worse against the Hawks, it was 157 at one point which is putrid, so how much of it was the Pies were just that bad, I don't know.

We were beating the pies by 9 goals earlier this year. The difference is that our young, inexperienced, leaders are still learning how to hold onto a lead and close out a game.

The talent is clearly there, though.

Us getting a 9 goal lead on the "reigning premiers", Essendon being hyped up as a real deal top-four team after beating them a few weeks ago... it's a litmus test that is quickly being re-evaluated. They didn't kick their second goal on Hawthorn until halfway through the third quarter or something.

That's not to take away from the Hawks, who were superb yesterday. There's a reason that we let our lead evaporate on this Pies team and they stuck the boot in. Confidence and leadership mostly. Ah well, we'll get there. At least we have our valuable first round pick this year...

They attract players to trade for. Which, I think, is helped by this generation of players growing up watching them be great and watching Sam Mitchell.

We have also been a shit show, and will start attracting players at a similar rate once we are competent for a couple more years. At that point we hopefully have a much stronger base of A grade talent than other teams.
They were all available to everyone and were chased by multiple teams, but chose Hawthorn. None of them were hidden gems that nobody predicted could contribute.
None of them are big names that had big offers in front of them from multiple clubs… they are shrewd trade targets that Hawks paid more for than others were offering.
They missed out on plenty too. They went hard after McKay but lost out to Essendon. They offered Ratugolea more than port (bullet dodged) & Liam Henry choose St.Kilda over them.
They instead got Chol (in & out @ GC) D’Ambrossio (wasn’t getting a game at Essendon) & Ginnivan (in & out of the side, sub for GF - was pushed out by Collingwood)
They are well coached club that has a history/culture of winning & wont miss out on getting the big name targets in the coming years if they keep going on their current trajectory.
I’m hopeful we can emulate their rise next season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back