Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry Schade could be another one from Tassie. If we took Dobosz it would have to be with our first pick because I doubt he would be around until pick 40.

I honestly think we are likely to snare another slider this year, with the amount of picks GWS have in the top 15 i think they will take a few from outside the box to mix things up a bit.

Waylen Mason, looks unbelieveable. I think he could be around later on however. Would be a 2-3 year development player.

i'd prefer a KPF with pick 18, one of Paine,Dobosz or Manson.
But i'd also be happy if we went best available so if grigg,kavannagh,elton etc. slide to our pick then i would take one of them

High risk and potentially high reward.

It's a tough one.

From reports, and I have no idea how anyone would find out, he interviewed poorly. Also from wht I read, it may be a mission to get him to Melbourne. Personally it seems like too big a risk to use on pick 18.

We should be sticking with the tried and true philosophy of 'best available'. With GWS probably skewing the draft somewhat, given that they will select on needs basis as GC did, another good 'un wil probably slip.

From reports, and I have no idea how anyone would find out, he interviewed poorly. Also from wht I read, it may be a mission to get him to Melbourne. Personally it seems like too big a risk to use on pick 18.
Yeah, I tend to agree, although it's not very 'romantic'.

We should be sticking with the tried and true philosophy of 'best available'. With GWS probably skewing the draft somewhat, given that they will select on needs basis as GC did, another good 'un wil probably slip.
Probably will too, which would be great for us. I reckon we will get at least 1 good player from this draft and then go into the next national draft with as many picks as possible after a more active trade period next year.

i'd prefer a KPF with pick 18, one of Paine,Dobosz or Manson.
This :thumbsu:

Also Ill add that while Manson looks talented, what we really need is a strong physical presence to replace Petrie.

Looking at his clip, Im not sure he fits that type of player, but I know little of him so....

Think we have picks in the good spots, either we get a slider that gws don't need. I can see kavanagh or whe sliding past 10 as gws have an abundance of mids but probably wont make it through to our pick...

They have these midfielders: Ward, Scully, Palmer, Sheil, Trelor, Conglio, Wingard, Power, Mcdonald, and one more they have prelisted? bugg?

They will go for KPP can see them taking Talia, Frost, Paine, Elton, Patton very early

So with our pick get a classy outside mid who slides or one of McKenzie, Docherty, Ellis

Pick 40 should be able to also snare good young talent in a KPP or a player like Grigg(if he slides that far), Nelson(same as Grigg) or Sheridan

Would love to see Brandon Ellis added to this poll...

interesting article about ellis today, lovely side note in it
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125249/default.aspx

It was when he was six, though, that Brandon decided playing footy at the highest level he could achieve was what he wanted to do. His cousin's nanna was Judy Francis, a long-time cook at North Melbourne renowned as almost a de facto mother to the Kangaroo players.

Francis took Brandon, then a Collingwood supporter like his Dad, into the North Melbourne rooms to meet the players. Wayne Carey and Glenn Archer said hello and Mick Martyn was there, and Brandon was consumed. Not only did he switch allegiances - "It broke my heart," Dale says, with a laugh - but he turned his undivided attention to football.
not really too important just thought some may be interested to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis sounds like he ticks all the boxes that North look for.

BFNAAK. FHOF. DHN.

PS TPA: ARIA. OMG. Jesus

you forgot K5OAC

Adam-Cooney-6x4-600x400.jpg

In my professional drafting opinion, based on 2 minutes of vision, I'd rank them McKenzie>Docherty>Ellis.

If the KPs arent up to scratch at our pick (I still think this is our greatest need), then yeah I think McKenzie is the one Im keenest on as well.

Personally I wouldn't get too caught up with drafting half back specific players. These kids are 3 years away from being good, consisent AFL players so they're not addressing an immediate need.

Most of the best attacking defenders played their junior footy in the midfield or even half forward. I think we have kids on the list who have the attributes to provide that drive from defence.

We do need to address the Petrie succession plan. We do have options on the list in Black, Hansen possibly even Daw and Tarrant but a young power forward would be ideal. It'll take them 3-4 years to be really AFL ready and that would fit in with Drew's AFL life span.

Hopefully a good one falls to us at 18 or 40.

...a young power forward would be ideal. It'll take them 3-4 years to be really AFL ready and that would fit in with Drew's AFL life span.

Hopefully a good one falls to us at 18 or 40.

True, but it seems these days it's hard to pick up a quality KP (especially a forward) with pick 18. You really need a top 10 pick. Although I have no idea of any players in this year's crop, but when was the last time a quality forward was picked outside of top 10? Dawes? He isn't that good. In fact I struggle to recall a young quality forward enter the AFL scene since Jack Riewoldt.

BFNAAK. FHOF. DHN.

PS TPA: ARIA. OMG. Jesus

Can I recommend a hotel or what?!?!

If you get the chance, go and see the Viva Elvis show. Quality. The pool is ****ing ridiculous. The rooms are ridiculous. Never got the chance to go to the nightclub, but I'm sure its ridiculous.

I'm sure I have told you, but it is essential for you to go the XS Nightclub at Encore.

**** it, I'm booking a flight right now.

True, but it seems these days it's hard to pick up a quality KP (especially a forward) with pick 18. You really need a top 10 pick. Although I have no idea of any players in this year's crop, but when was the last time a quality forward was picked outside of top 10? Dawes? He isn't that good. In fact I struggle to recall a young quality forward enter the AFL scene since Jack Riewoldt.

Sam Reid from Sydney looks pretty good from what I have seen. He was picked at 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back