Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to pick a slider it would probably be Kavanagh.

Hamstring tendons are worrying, but so were Joel Selwood's knees.

Anybody have a look at McKenzie's video and tell me he isn't exactly the type we are crying out for.

Kid looks like a cross between Corey Enright and Shannon Hurn.

I'm a fan of McKenzie's kicking ability but geez he looks slow. ...he is the type that you want to have running outside the congestion or off a back flank so that he can become a weapon... [and would] get extra attention from opposition coaches.

Mackenzie looks slow like Pendles looks slow. Noone got near him in that video. Kicking is amazing.
He reminds me of Brady Rawlings (even the physique), but with a good kick. Brady wasn't fast. Anyhow, now that Brady is in recruitment and development now, so I'm sure that the elite kicking could be knocked out of him. :p

Found this write up on the D&T board. Thanks DOSACHOKER for your efforts.

Who knows, could this be the guy we're into? I honestly have no idea if so, but if he did train with Werribee, as stated, then you'd have to say our boys would know all about him.

I am all for bringing in some Tassie talent if it's there. There is no doubt that it would help forge a relationship with the good folk of Hobart. It would also be great to give the Tassie media something close to home to do all their fluff pieces on. Anyway, check the clip out, the kid definitely has toe and is strong overhead for his size. Takes the game on, and tackles.

Love Kieran Harper? Then you might find a spot for this guy...

just thought I'd throw in with a name. Aaron Hall from Hobart FC in Tassie. Same club that had Jeremy Howe and George Burbury drafted last year, neither in the pathway system in Tassie, Howe a country boy and Burbury also a country boy but a rower who turned to footy. Hall was the 3rd standout at this club last season but very flashy and in and out of form and question marks remained over his attitude and fitness. Well he silenced those by doing a pre season at Werribee and came back to Hobart for Uni much lighter and with an improved attitude and had a stellar season, first up forward then in pretty much any position on the ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMi3V_VCQBY

186cm, 82 kg's, very very fast with good skills either side of body, great vertical leap and can turn on a thrippance. This guy is only 19 or just 20 and would be probably the best kept secret in any draftable age group and has player 4 years of senior footy in tassie already and if you don't think that is much to hang your hat on, this guy gets a lot of attention every single week because older slower blokes don't like these young quick kids making them look silly. Fear is not an issue, keeps his head over the ball and as evidenced by this footage is great in traffic. His dad was drafted also and played at the level and is a pretty tough dude so Hall wouldn't be getting his head blown up each week by one eyed parents. He would dominate any kid his age whom has only played TAC cup footy and I believe would be a ready made AFL footy player with 1/2 pre seasons in him. Pass this on to anyone in club land, take a look, well worth it.

[YOUTUBE]DMi3V_VCQBY[/YOUTUBE]

watched Aaron Hall play against Launceston this year. He stands out in a shithouse side. has good skills but I personally dont think he is draftable. Fair few boys down here reckon he has a fair attitude problem when he is out on the piss. Definately better prospects out there.

here is a few other prospects that I wouldnt mind looking at late in the draft or in the rookie draft. Just taken this stuff straight out some of the mocks:

Mitch Brewer (QLD – Ruck)
Height: 204cm, Weight: 119kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Broadbeach
Style: Ben Hudson/Damian Monkhorst
Player comparison:
Range: 45-undrafted
Profile: Very strong ruckman. New to the game and from rugby background. Has shown allot of improvement in a short space of time which is nice to see. Ruckwork good. Really physical type and a big presence around the ground. Surprisingly good by foot and is reasonably co-ordinated for someone of his size. Skill level ok. Probably more of a rookie pick but well worth a shot!

Ben Darrou (VIC – KPD/Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 25/11/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
StRange: 45-rookie
Profile: Really big bodied player. Ready to play sooner rather than later. Can play anywhere. Probably like him most as a defender though. Really strong mark overhead. Strong body. Has a nice kick on him. Can provide some run from defence. The thing I most like with Darrou though is his work off the ball. Does all the little things like off the ball shepherding and hard bumping that make coaches happy. If he can grow those couple of extra cm could be a really good KPD at the next level.

Michael Mascoulis (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Left footer who can play on a back flank or on a wing well. Lacks consistency, but the talent is there. Really great attacking player with that great line breaking pace and ability to make you look silly. Can kick well on either foot and has some hurt factor.

Tom Downie (VIC – Ruck)
Height: 205cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB:
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Super tall ruckman from a basketball background. Has only players the two matches this year, but gee has he stood out in the games he has played! Tap work is good. Can take a mark around the ground. Has a very long way to go. Endurance very much a work in progress. Project. Will take time.

Elliot Yeo (188cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

For all the talk of a shallow draft, there are still some nice prospects and Yeo is one of them. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone go earlier than what may have seemed likely at the start of the year. Good all round midfielder who is particularly strong athletically, can do the odd special thing too. Still only 17, Yeo is averaging well over 20 touches a game in the Colts and has a strong defensive side to his game as well. AFL Comparison: Daniel Menzel.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (191cm midfielder - Woodville West Torrens)

Underrated player around these parts, don't think he has really been mentioned at all. At just 18 he is 191cm and 88kg, great size for a midfielder considering most are generally short in this draft class. Only played 1 game for SA in the Championships, and was quite good. In the U18 competition in the SANFL, he is averaging nearly 30 touches and 5 clearances a game. Strong tackler, good above his head and a real creative player. Hopefully it won’t be long until his ranking starts to climb.

Mat Suckling (182cm midfielder – Norwood)

Another mature aged player out of Norwood, and he is one of the better clearance and contested ball winners in the SANFL. For an inside player, he also has a very good kick on him – would probably rate up there with the best in the AFL too. Would be a very good rookie selection in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the highlights of The Other Azza. Very impressive. If his character's in question then I'm sure Lyce and co would be all over that. IF we drafted him and he produced as well as his highlight reel at AFL level, we'd be bloody rapt!

Chris25 has us picking up this guy in his Phantom (to be honest I've never heard of him so know nothing about him):

#40 North Melbourne - Brendon AhChee (190cm midfielder - South Fremantle)

Really interesting prospect, and another one of my favourites. Involved in the Flying Boomerangs program which is focused on personal and leadership development, AhChee only played the one game in the U18 Championships. By my count he only had about four touches in that game, but the talent is there and he his Colts form has improved since returning. Has played as an undersized ruckman during his junior football, and his size and running ability makes him a really attractive project on the wing. I think he could develop into a special player. AFL Comparison: Harley Bennell.

Just watched thye highlights of The Other Azza. Very impressive. If his character's in question then I'm sure Lyce and co would be all over that. IF we drafted him and he produced as well as his highlight reel at AFL level, we'd be bloody rapt!

I'm with u TT...... Bit of Winnie, bit of LT plus a touch of Bartel, his kicking action and ability to read the ball in flight and mark it at it highest point, looks a ridiculous prospect to me.
Buddy had "attitude problems" also. I think buddy goes all right.

Waylen Manson with pick 40?

After his 10 goal haul last night I'd be pulling the trigger with pick 18. High risk High reward. Weeks ago, he was tipped as a late/rookie selection. He played excellent last night, tested well at the combine and from a few inside sources he did impress a number of recruiters will his interviews. Homesickness is supposably not a big issue and he is willing to go anywhere to play AFL. :thumbsu:

After his 10 goal haul last night I'd be pulling the trigger with pick 18. High risk High reward. Weeks ago, he was tipped as a late/rookie selection. He played excellent last night, tested well at the combine and from a few inside sources he did impress a number of recruiters will his interviews. Homesickness is supposably not a big issue and he is willing to go anywhere to play AFL. :thumbsu:

Watched the live feed, and he was certainly impressive.

I could see a club pull the trigger and snap him up with a late 2nd rounder or 3rd.

He is however, a safer rookie spot bet.

Really enjoying being the Phantom Drafter for north

Don't know if i'll change on the trial run much

Manson is tempting with your second rouder as Staley has had a quite September and draft camp (guy i used your 3rd rounder on)

Hill is another one i'm thinking about with that 3rd rounder pick

Docherty, Mckenzie are the two non sliders that i'm considering, really depends on what Snoop does with GWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back