The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Staker is certainly not shy. I watched the Nab cup game, Lions v Dogs at Canberra in February. I was standing behind the goals & Staker was directing the traffic from CHF advising Fev where to stand & lead to.

Fev took it in his stride & there was no issue but I thought it was a bit odd.

Staker 1
Dalziell 0

Brisbane have by far gotten the better of this trade by what it provides them compared to what it provides for West Coast.

In Staker, Brisbane have gained a way to have a third tall without having to use either Clark or Leuenberger, which in turn frees up Brennan to be used as a clearance midfielder.

In Dalziell, West Coast have gained an outside midfielder / wingman that is not going to free up anyone else to move into a position that can be damaging. Additionally he is not even currently making the first 22.

Brisbane have won this trade easily so far (without even taking into account the draft pick as well) - and I am yet to see why that will change either.

Theres still a fair way to go, but as Staker does, he had his sporadic couple of moments a game where he does something and thats about it. Brennan was always going to be in the midfield regardless of Staker, he was playing there last season.

At the moment Dalziell hasn't been overly impressive and his disposal lacks polish and hurt factor from the preseason games, but he's very, very good at finding space and providing an option out of defence. Runs all day from arc to arc.

Sometimes players with the ball need to realise that the simplest option is sometimes the best. Instead of launching it long, dish off a handball to the guy running with you. That was another problem of our side last night. If Dalziell can do that then I think he's got a role to play in our side.

Considering we got run off our feet against the Lions, Dalziell should be looked at for round 2.

As a matter of fact, I would've thought Dal would be pretty close to best 22 if Rosa and Houlihan weren't available.

With Staker, he might just have the best role in the AFL. Being a 3rd forward when everyone is trying to stop Fevola and Brown would be like being a loose half back, except within goal kicking distance.

Thats true Jimmy. Must be the sweetest job ever. You would have spuds lining up on you or not even bothering matching up on you because they're too worried about Brown & Fev. He should kick bags every week.

1/4/10 Round 2
Key Stats.
Brent Staker - 9Kicks - 3HB - 4M - 1G - 1B

(had 9 kicks, 3 handballs and a goal last week to) SNAP.

So as of round 2.

STAKER 2 -leads- Dalziell 0.

Hope to see Dalziell make his eagles debut something like round 3 to 6 ish.

1/4/10 Round 2
Key Stats.
Brent Staker - 9Kicks - 3HB - 4M - 1G - 1B

(had 9 kicks, 3 handballs and a goal last week to) SNAP.

So as of round 2.

STAKER 2 -leads- Dalziell 0.

Hope to see Dalziell make his eagles debut something like round 3 to 6 ish.

You ned to add to his stats for Round 2.
Key fumbles under pressure:
Key fumbles not under pressure:
Obstruction of Brown:
Failure to shepard when it counts:

I saw a lot of the old Staker last night. Probably not good to have his psyche on our list.

Ive found Vossy hasnt used him in 'important' positions.
As well as all the good things last night he did make some bad errors but seemed to be in a position where they werent effecting the team too badly.

Say what you want...
we gave him everything,
he wasnt going to work at West Coast

Ive found Vossy hasnt used him in 'important' positions.
As well as all the good things last night he did make some bad errors but seemed to be in a position where they werent effecting the team too badly.

Say what you want...
we gave him everything,
he wasnt going to work at West Coast

He like most of our recruits is still working his way into the team. His has been pretty handy in both games and his work-rate so far seems to be pretty good.

He had run his race with you guys, similar to the way Hooper had with us.

We have a bunch of guys bashing the selection door down so if he does not keep it up he will be out on his bum pretty quickly.

staker has and will fail when it matters... has no composure or football brain and i predict he will fail the lions in some big moments when it counts the most this season.

if he can't have an impact playing on the 3rd best key defender every week then he truly is a hack. like dennis said last night, he quite likely will be remembered for nothing else but getting KO'd.

dalziell however... the jury is out. i'm not sure we need another gut-running mid with poor foot skills when we have priddis, rosa, selwood, etc. i honestly think we should have traded for someone with speed and foot skills.

I think Dalziell is essentially only a backup for Priddis. We can't have too many ultra-slow guys in the team. Pridda is struggling with a knee injury and may miss a game in the near future. Thats when I think Dalziell will come in.

I think Dalziell is essentially only a backup for Priddis. We can't have too many ultra-slow guys in the team. Pridda is struggling with a knee injury and may miss a game in the near future. Thats when I think Dalziell will come in.
Haha, Dalziell is far from ultra-slow. Even his footskills aren't as bad as people make out, especially on the run, which is what he gets paid to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He like most of our recruits is still working his way into the team. His has been pretty handy in both games and his work-rate so far seems to be pretty good.

He had run his race with you guys, similar to the way Hooper had with us.

We have a bunch of guys bashing the selection door down so if he does not keep it up he will be out on his bum pretty quickly.

Don't listen to the whippersnappers bagging Staker, Weevil. Brisbane suits him better because they have more experienced players and an out and out champion in Brown, so Staker doesn't have to be the money man. He plays the role he's given and he plays them well enough. Chased Anderson, was it?, for 20-30 metres last night to force him to kick OOF. Looks like he's got his footy head on atm.

Also great to see Fev actually go in and stand up for him when Waite roughed him up in the marking contest. Staker has also got the Ranga Banfield to learn from, and that is not to be underestimated!:D

Got me thinking, after Morton & Staker leaving for not being included best 22 all the time that we might have a Mckinley Vs thread next year.
Lecras out this week should have opened the door.

Mckinley, Spangher & a pick to Carlton for Yarran.

staker has far more upside than most.

he also has a shit load more downside than just about everybody in the league.

Whilst Brisbane suits Staker better he was still pretty poor, coaches use Staker to give there defence run. Put your best runner/ worst defender on Staker and youll get free everytime. Its like how to beat Brisbane 101.

Also great to see Fev actually go in and stand up for him when Waite roughed him up in the marking contest.

That was a good contested mark that Staker took under real one-on-one pressure. I can't remember the last time that Hansen or Lynch grabbed onto something like that.

That was a good contested mark that Staker took under real one-on-one pressure. I can't remember the last time that Hansen or Lynch grabbed onto something like that.
If Brown and Kennedy fire together then the big Q might find himself......in the queue.

Haha, Dalziell is far from ultra-slow. Even his footskills aren't as bad as people make out, especially on the run, which is what he gets paid to do.

His footskills are OK I guess but by today's AFL standards he is slow and will only get slower. As a guy burrowing to the bottom of the pack and feeding out the ball I don't mind him but as a guy who is out on a wing and in space then I don't like him. Do you really want to see him matched up against someone like Danyle Pearce or Stephen Hill? They would destroy him.

Missed the set shot but the goal that he kicked where he spun around from about 35 showed impressive dexterity especially from a guy 196cm.

Yeah...

It seems since Staker's gone we've all totally forgotten what was actually crap about him. He actually dominated against Richmond in his last game for us, did that make us think he was on the rise to be a gun? No, because it's done it too damn often since about 2004.

Yes, Staker's physical ability and athleticism is outstanding for a guy of near ruckman height, but it was his mental fragility and inability to keep performing that made him such a frustrating Eagle.

You watch, if he ever gets a game with Fev and/or Brown missing, he will be shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

The official Dalziell versus Staker thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back