The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How lucky are kids these days? I grew up in Brisbane watching the single match of the day at 2pm on channel 7 and a bit of Winners on ABC and my only real live game as a kid was the 82 Commonwealth Games exhibition game at the old Gabba between Carlton and Richmond. My boy is 6 and a half and so far he has been on the Gabba at half time for Auskick, been in a guard of honour and run through the banner with the players, met players around town and had a chat and some photos, had players to his club and today, had a clinic at the Gabba with players including photos and autographs afterwards from about 10 Lions including his favourite Daniel Rich (who is looking very fit). He's pretty casual about it but I'm very excited for him :)

After Matt McGuire gave my boy an autograph I prompted him to say thanks and he said "Thank you Goose"

Last edited:
Although it would be difficult to ever match the turn around in 12 months from the 1998 - 1999 Lions (going to the '99 Prelim was awesome, if Mick Martyn hadn't taken out Blacky we were a chance) I'd say that overall there has been a great deal of positives this season (Aish's composure under pressure, Robbo being courageous and putting his head over the ball, Squizzy's silky skills, Gardiner's agression, Paparone's breakout season, mosquito fleet, the list goes on and on) and I look forward to enjoying these positives for the remainder of the season.

We're creating lots of opportunities and really giving ourselves chances. When our composure improves and our finishing along with it, we will be so much better.

West is going to struggle to get a game ahead of Stef as 2nd ruck, when Leuy gets back.

Clarke mauled Riewoldt today. Played a very confident game. Out marking him in the back 50 was a sure sign he felt comfortable. Outstanding game.

Player positive: McStay looked far more composed and comfortable today. He was very rushed against North which is understandable in his debut game.

Team positive: The boys are starting to click with Leppa's game plan and they are executing it unlike earlier in the year. Now they just need to do so consistently. Another pre-season will help immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FITZROY had a win today over Old Haileybury 11.8.74 to 9.14.68. Captain Rory Angiolella kicked the sealer!
Haven't checked, but that should put Fitzroy back into the top 4.

Clarke is fast becoming our best defender l rekon.
He was monstering Reiwoltd and as soon as he went to Vickery, Rewoltd beat McGuire and Gardiner and kicked the goal.
When he gets stronger, he will be an absolute beast.

Also growing in confidence and ability to provide a link in attack.

Like him

Player positive: McStay looked far more composed and comfortable today. He was very rushed against North which is understandable in his debut game.

Team positive: The boys are starting to click with Leppa's game plan and they are executing it unlike earlier in the year. Now they just need to do so consistently. Another pre-season will help immensely.

I've noticed in recent weeks that when we switch plays across the ground; it often comes back inboard to a player free in the centre square - when it comes off it looks really slick :thumbsu:

I will admit to being a big Clarke fan and hopefully he won over any remaining doubters today that he has the potential to be not just our best defender when Patfull retires but one of the best key defenders in the league.

Still early days in his career and he is still not yet 21, but he has come so far and looks increasingly settled and confident. Gardiner is catching up fast as well and I like what I have seen of McStay and Cutler as well. In three years time that could be a top four quality defensive unit. We are suffering plenty of pain this season but these guys are getting experience that would take years to earn in more 'normal' circumstances. They are learning every game. Baptism of fire perhaps, but the payoff will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back