Review The Pre-Season Report Thread (Requests, reports and much more!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where all this talk of resting Jamar has come up, he's not a Cale Morton sized pipsqueak, he is bigger and stronger than anyone else we have, Gawn looks like being a player but right now he is miles from Jamar (although light years ahead of him at the same age). Pretty sure Jamars only played about ~110 game in 9 or 10 years, and a lot of those he probably played less than a half, so I'd suggest his body is much better off than your average 28-29 year old. No way he should just be rested here there and everywhere like Ottens, whose body was obviously on the way out and had to be primed for finals

Good call, big Russian's only just getting warmed up. Would love to see him rewarded with some success for the loyalty he's shown. Especially after what Jolly has achieved.

What is it with this club and ***** with surnames ending in 'lly'?

I dont see the big deal with a rotation policy throughout the year to make sure your key players are up and ready come the business end. Its not about your best 22 anymore - your entire list needs to be solid.

I think we'll see more and more of this in coming years.

I remember being pretty drunk and talking to a guy in a Melbourne jumper at the Walkabout in London last year and asking him if he was Bartram Class.

He had no idea what I was on about lol. :eek:
:thumbsu:

Gold. (If I ever get asked that question, I'm going to act baffled to **** with you ;))

Was waiting to go into my exam this morning only to realise that dave misson was standing next to me, must be still studying..:p

What are you studying, mate?

What are you studying, mate?

me? business and commerce, doubt he was doing the same

Looking forward to checking out training next Monday too, especially after seeing this!!

380224_10150471348547317_285839797316_10800149_987204075_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I again have work commitments on the Monday.

Would someone mind doing a structured write up which I'll add to the OP?

I'll be getting down to do some sneaky spying on the Wednesday however!!

me? business and commerce, doubt he was doing the same

Looking forward to checking out training next Monday too, especially after seeing this!!

380224_10150471348547317_285839797316_10800149_987204075_n.jpg

Amazing

I popped along to training this morning and caught most of the session. Some points:

- The rehab lap running group included McKenzie, Clarke, Petterd, Grimes (looking strong, fit and raring to go), Evans, Jurrah, Jetta and Davey (who looked very determined).

- Garry Lyon spent time observing the Collingwood session on the other oval.

- Trengove dominated the repeat 200s sprints; he didn’t even seem puffed afterwards. Superb fitness. Bail was on his heels. Also up in the top groups were Tom McDonald, Nicholson and Jones.

- Watts was running (and beating) Troy Davis in a middle-of-the-pack group.

- Gysberts is incredibly unfit. He was barely able to keep up with the ruckmen in the running drills. He was given a hard time in a midfield drill (that essentially involved being buffeted by tackle pads) and ended up on the deck several times. Morton knocked him over once or twice. Moloney was merciless.

- Garland was again training with the mids. He repeatedly monstered Morton in a one-on-one contested ball drill.

- Frawley looked terrific. Very fit, great skills and a big presence out on the pitch.

- Tapscott, Blease and Sylvia disappeared inside and weren’t sighted for the remainder of the session.

- Gawn seemed to have some problems with his right knee. It was heavily strapped and he didn’t partake in much of the session.

- Overall, it was a disciplined and spirited session. Players and coaches alike appeared to be pushing themselves. Garry Lyon was happy.

I thought exactly the same thing about gysberts.. he really surprised me wit how he seemed lazy, and it simply made me think no wonder he's still so skinny.. copped a couple of bakes from Brian Royal too for standing back nd not working hard enough in a handball drill..

was really good to see Gaz there nd he came over nd had a chat for a bit, he was very happy wit how hard the boys were working nd was very happy wit grimesy.. said most of the rehab group should be in the main group very soon

Thanks Doc much appreciated mate- some very interesting points there.

Garland in the mids again is very interesting- does Neeld plan on breaking up the backline?

What is wrong with McKenzie? Did he have an injury I've forgotten about?

Gysberts being unfit is interesting- hopefully this can be remedied before start of season as he's going to be important this year. You could see he was running out of gas end of this season and his performances suffered as a result.

Yes royal gave gys a few sprays, looked very sluggish in the running drills. He got monstered in that contested ball drill with the pads knocked off his feet several times.

also noticed Jamar didn't finish the last few running drills and left early, possible niggling injury.

and Bennell was also with garland in the mids iirc.

Gys did look awful both in the running and handball/pressure drills. He came passed me towards the end complaining about hammy tightness but.......

You sure do notice Beamer at a training session. Green doesn't seem to exert much leadership or not nearly as much.

Was chatting to Grimey at the end of the session and he said he is two weeks away from joining the boys in sessions. Going a little stir crazy running laps but seems incredibly focused.

Jamar was fine, just on a different sched to the others.

As for my main spud Morton, if I notice things i'm sure the coaches do. In kicking drills everyone goes back and kicks off one or two steps. Morton shortened his distance every time with 5-6 steps.....Was the only one that did so and it stood out.

You do realise getting more momentum through the ball is a good thing right?

Gysberts has been copping a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if he's struggling because he's wrecked from the pre-season so far.

I'll be out there spying on Wednesday as well, hopefully my innocent appearance will mean I won't be asked to leave.

As for my main spud Morton, if I notice things i'm sure the coaches do. In kicking drills everyone goes back and kicks off one or two steps. Morton shortened his distance every time with 5-6 steps.....Was the only one that did so and it stood out.
I'm confused. As TPM stated, kicking with momentum is the norm, and kicking of 1-2 steps should be frowned upon. How far were they kicking during the drills?

They were only a small distance apart and moved a few steps further every time. Just stood out others could hit a target of a step or two but Morton needed 6 to hit one 5-10m's away. Sure over a bigger distance its preferred but in this case not really necessary.

.. copped a couple of bakes from Brian Royal soon

Excellent. It's not only the players who need to impress Neeld, and I would imagine that Royal is relishing the challenge. He said last year that we were too soft on the players, so now he has a chance to do something about it.

No excuses for Gys, he's being given every attention possible to help him fulfill his potential. The cream will rise, so if he's cream ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Pre-Season Report Thread (Requests, reports and much more!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back