Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Which team has the better on-field prospects?

• Essendon

Votes: 128 46.4%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 148 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All of that is great and a positive sign, but again, nothing to do with a rebuild.
Great signs from the debutants and young kids, but development can stall. Players can get 2nd or 3rd year blues.
So they're basically just back to where they were two seasons ago, off the back of a few players having career years. Great if it's sustained, but jury is still out.
What is a rebuild in your books?

The last few pages are absolutely hilarious.

Stones in glass houses and all, considering the largest % of nuffies on this site post in the Essendon delusional pearlers thread

Absolute nonsense we are reliant on our older players.

Our top 5 players this season in my opinion would be Merrett, Parish, Stringer, Ridley and Laverde, all bar one of them is 25 and under.

Shiel and Heppell have spent many games on the sidelines and Hooker is now out of the team, as is Tippa.

We’ve had 7 debutants, and our ruckman has played 20 matches.

To say we are reliant on older players is just lazy and an ill informed shot at trying to downplay the rise of Essendon in such a short period.

“Downplay the rise of Essendon” 😂😂

My word there has been a lot of reference to the last 7 meetings between the two clubs since 2016.

We slashed half our list and brought in a new coach in 2020, so tying our future prospects back to a game that Essendon won in 2018, that 6 of our current list played in, when Brad Scott was coaching against Woosha, seems misrepresentative.

FWIW we've won 1 game since 2013 without Cunnington so I'd say we're unlikely to win on Sunday but our sole win without him was against Adelaide, so maybe the group takes another step to finish the year by breaking the duck at AO.

Sean Atley, Sean Atley, Sean Atley ;)

The last few pages are absolutely hilarious.

Stones in glass houses and all, considering the largest % of nuffies on this site post in the Essendon delusional pearlers thread

“Downplay the rise of Essendon” 😂😂

What else would you call it turbo? Moving up the ladder, improving, going forward, rising, call it whatever you like.

I know it’s probably hard for you to comprehend any of these things as you have just witnessed your team of occupy the bottom of the ladder for 23 straight weeks, enjoy your wooden spoon from your pathetic, shit stain, tin rattling handout receiver of a club 😊

What else would you call it turbo? Moving up the ladder, improving, going forward, rising, call it whatever you like.

I know it’s probably hard for you to comprehend any of these things as you have just witnessed your team of occupy the bottom of the ladder for 23 straight weeks, enjoy your wooden spoon from your pathetic, sh*t stain, tin rattling handout receiver of a club 😊

Wow.

So triggered.

these days apparently some 40 year old Essendon supporter who lives in Melton spouts claims that he hates Hawthorn supporters with a passion, he probably lives 20km from the nearest Hawthorn supporter.

We played Hawthorn quite a lot in finals and Grand Finals the early days of most 40-50 yo Essendon supporters. I'd have them (hawks) behind Carlton and ahead of Collingwood and North in that order. We've had some cracking contests against North, unfortunately the last decade it's generally been fairly on sided, either way. I think you guys had a run of 7 or 8 and now we have.

If I need to explain why you are a piece of sh*t, then I am wasting my time; as you will never, ever understand.

How bout I refer to all Essendon supporters as - Supporters of a drug culture that despoil our great game?

After all, that is what you were once upon a time, and why not continue with that label in perpetuity. Or we get to trot it out whenever we re trying to be a bit edgy on-line by attacking but with ‘plausible deniability’?

You can call Essendon supporters whatever you like, as most of your supporter base does. Are people going to be losing sleep over the opinion of a notorious Essendon hating North supporter on an online forum? Sorry to say, probably not.

I’ll repeat - the coach with a fantastic record against Sheedy, at that time, was Dean Laidley. She is now known as Dani Laidley. Not understanding what the issue is? What is your expert analysis into which name I should refer to your coach from 2003-09?

Wow. There was a mention of ‘triggered’ in an earlier post… this is really triggered.

You fail to mention we have 4 x as many premierships as you do. So yeah, keep remembering the bits of history you want I guess.

And no , there is no rivalry here, Your club frankly doesn't deserve one with us. You are just like any other club.

Lol this point of view is always enlightening.

In all likelihood your club won 12 flags before your father was born.

The fact that you hang your hat on it says a lot about how pathetic you are.

Lol this point of view is always enlightening.

In all likelihood your club won 12 flags before your father was born.

The fact that you hang your hat on it says a lot about how pathetic you are.
And your club had won 2 before your Dad was born.

Are they automatically irrelevant because of this?

And your club had won 2 before your Dad was born.

Are they automatically irrelevant because of this?

They’re not irrelevant but to me anything won before the AFL era means very little, it was a different game for amateur/semi-professionals, so it’s not fair to compare it to today.

There are people out there talking about flags won in the VFL in 1897 who don’t recognise SANFL or VFA flags of the same year when all 3 were amateur competitions, doesn’t make any sense at all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, so giving the bombers praise is difficult for me. I don’t like doing it and I’m much more comfortable talking about the 6,000 day finals drought rather than the exceeding of expectations from this year.

They’ve been very good and unlucky in a few too. Yuck. That makes me sick.

Now, earlier some were ranking midfielders and had Merrett at the top, along with Stringer and Parish (not sure why the greatest contested ball winner in history doesn’t make the list but whatever). Fair enough, all three have been sensational this year. But let’s not forget the age of these 3 guys. They are in their prime (or 2 are at least).

Simpkin is behind Merrett this year statistically in every category except clearances. But if you compare them at the same age and Simpkin beats him in every category. Similar story for Thomas vs stringer (though stringer did kick more goals than Thomas).

Have a look at LDU vs Parish at the same age. LDU smokes him.

You want top end talent? All three of those north boys look as good if not better than their three bomber counterparts at the same age.

#facts

Will 2021 be the weakest Essendon team in the afl era ? NO forward line extremely average midfield and an aging backline
Ok, so giving the bombers praise is difficult for me. I don’t like doing it and I’m much more comfortable talking about the 6,000 day finals drought rather than the exceeding of expectations from this year.

Now, earlier some were ranking midfielders and had Merrett at the top, along with Stringer and Parish (not sure why the greatest contested ball winner in history doesn’t make the list but whatever). Fair enough, all three have been sensational this year. But let’s not forget the age of these 3 guys. They are in their prime (or 2 are at least).

Simpkin is behind Merrett this year statistically in every category except clearances. But if you compare them at the same age and Simpkin beats him in every category. Similar story for Thomas vs stringer (though stringer did kick more goals than Thomas).

You want top end talent? All three of those north boys look as good if not better than their three bomber counterparts at the same age.

#facts

Simpkin, Thomas and LDU have ability I don't think that's in dispute, they have yet to utilise that ability to help North win games.
Merrett, Parish and Stringer have this year; quite a few times (including over North,twice), to the point we will play finals in a year no-one expected us to while North are fighting to avoid the spoon the only reason this thread's main question is under of any dispute is due to people being unable to get over being triggered over a scandal from ten years ago blinding their objectivity:thumbsu:

Last edited:

#facts

How are you doing your comparison at the same age for Merrett and Simpkin out of interest? Are you just comparing their 5th seasons?
Zach had two seasons prior that were statistically much better than his 2018 which I assume is the season you are comparing with Simpkin’s 2021 season?

Would be interesting to compare the stats of the whole of their first 5 seasons.

I’ll just table basic disposal totals

Merrett
2014 15.2
2015 22.4
2016 29.9
2017 29.9
2018 26.8

Averaging 24.8

Simpkin
2017 10.8
2018 14.9
2019 18.6
2020 20.2
2021 26.9

Averaging 17.9

I reckon Merrett’s first 5 seasons were far better than Simpkins, highlighted by being a best and fairest winner and All Australian in that period.

Last edited:
Ahh the common refrain of all supporters who have f/all history. Where as clubs who have been successful over time will like to point it out. Where do you draw the line in Ess/Norths head to head record ? It’s very lopsided.

The club I support has a longer history than yours actually.

If you want to measure history and success on Premiership cups won at the turn of the last century when blokes were putting in less time per week than today’s players in the VAFA, it feels like you might be compensating for something.

To suggest North and any other foundation era club like the Bulldogs or St Kilda have “f/all history” because they didn’t win flags 100 years ago is not only insulting, it’s disregards what football and life in general is about. Those 3 clubs have survived on struggle and sacrifice that Essendon have never known, there in itself is history.

Now that we have an even playing field in regard to sourcing and paying players, you’ll note that the mighty Bombers haven’t been all that mighty either.

The club I support has a longer history than yours actually.

If you want to measure history and success on Premiership cups won at the turn of the last century when blokes were putting in less time per week than today’s players in the VAFA, it feels like you might be compensating for something.

To suggest North and any other foundation era club like the Bulldogs or St Kilda have “f/all history” because they didn’t win flags 100 years ago is not only insulting, it’s disregards what football and life in general is about. Those 3 clubs have survived on struggle and sacrifice that Essendon have never known, there in itself is history.

Now that we have an even playing field in regard to sourcing and paying players, you’ll note that the mighty Bombers haven’t been all that mighty either.
You just pick and choose to suit your argument, like 95% of every thread that appears on Bigfooty. Everyone does it, you are clearly no different.

You just pick and choose to suit your argument, like 95% of every thread that appears on Bigfooty. Everyone does it, you are clearly no different.

Nah, you’re the one that’s no different.

“We’ve got 16 flags and your club has no history.”

Why don’t you just get a bot to post it in every thread? I’m sure a North/Carlton/Hawks fan will set one up to respond “6,192 days.”

Nah, you’re the one that’s no different.

“We’ve got 16 flags and your club has no history.”

Why don’t you just get a bot to post it in every thread? I’m sure a North/Carlton/Hawks fan will set one up to respond “6,192 days.”
Like a dog chasing its tail, you keep proving my point. Where do you draw the line on the lop sided head to head record ?

Early days given Comben’s injury history but Essendon gave up and a future second rounder to move up 3 spots to select Jones ahead of Comben.

Makes a Jones and Comben more fun to follow from a supporter perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Rebuild Of Essendon And North Melbourne And Their Future Prospects

Back