Autopsy The Red V defeat Bulldogs - Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question - anyone else think we're in the conversation for the flag? Form in Victoria is tops. Who cares if we lose the odd game to a second rate Hawks, we're not going to face them in Finals, our record against the 8 is huge.

Record against top 8 sides

Wins
Brisbane - Gabba
Bravedogs/ umpires - Marvel
WCE - Geelong
Geelong - Geelong

Losses
Freo - SCG
Port - Adelaide Oval (Less than 2 goals)
Melbourne - MCG (less than a goal?)

It's a very good record

Record against top 8 sides

Wins
Brisbane - Gabba
Bravedogs/ umpires - Marvel
WCE - Geelong
Geelong - Geelong

Losses
Freo - SCG
Port - Adelaide Oval (Less than 2 goals)
Melbourne - MCG (less than a goal?)

It's a very good record

Port and Dees were both within 10 points I think? And Freo by a couple of points too - but was over in the West, not SCG.

Jordan Dawson is an absolute star, today was his coming out party.

Ps. anyone having a go at JUH for his debut, pull your heads in. Yes the commentary was nauseating leading up and during the match, and no he did not have a good debut. But he is an 18 year old kid playing his first game. We would not want people bagging one of our kids if they'd had a debut like that.

Many here bagged JMac after his handball debut. I did not like that either. That said the commentary was a disgrace. Felt happier with the world when I hit the mute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team is clicking on all cylinders right now.

And we're doing it without Rowbottom, Reid, Warner, Campbell, McDonald in the side. And I doubt any of them will be in next week either. Even Bell, the ultimate whipping boy, is doing everything required of him. He's certainly not gonna be BOG but he plays his role exactly requested of him.

There's only one thing that disappointed me about this game....

Half way through the lions game in round one... I jumped on my betting app, and through a $50 on swans to make the 8... I was going to throw a $50 on them for the flag, but thought, c'mon mate, top 8 is gettable, but the premiership is a ludicrous call... so I played it safe and went for the top 8 at $5....

Premiership at 101 to 1 would have been a steal...

Swans for the flag...

What a game! What a performance! One of our best wins for the last few years. Great stuff! A few lads stood up big time like Dawson/McCartin. Thought Heeney got a bit of the ball and is slowly getting some form back.

Only 3 negatives:

- Papley, he is horribly out of form and lacking confidence. Missed easy handballs and 1v1 contest work was poor. I think he needs a game in the reserves to gain some confidence and bring a bit of enjoyment back into his footy. We need him FIRING if we want a deep run in the finals

- Clearance work, especially centre clearances. Once again in the spotlight and it's been an ongoing issue. I think the combo of the CBA today was wrong. Hewett/Mills/Parker lack quick first step and are similar paced which gets easily exposed at CBA. I think we need to have Heeney attending some CBAs as he has a quick first step and provides some speed. It'll help us win the ball and also slow down the opposition.

- I love Buddy's attack on the ball and tackling pressure but he's getting very close to being suspended for some of his late hits/clumsy efforts. He definitely needs to work on it as we don't need him suspended, especially leading into the finals.

This team is clicking on all cylinders right now.

And we're doing it without Rowbottom, Reid, Warner, Campbell, McDonald in the side. And I doubt any of them will be in next week either. Even Bell, the ultimate whipping boy, is doing everything required of him. He's certainly not gonna be BOG but he plays his role exactly requested of him.

Yeah it's clicking with Bell, was very good today.

Thought the swans were consistent all day, and being in front a half time drove a strong third quarter performance from Rosebury. Gavine was outstanding in the 3rd quarter, helping to pull the Dogs back into the game with a 9:2 free kick differential for the quarter.

Notable efforts from Fleer in the last, prominently around the in the back and holding the man interpretations almost got the Dogs in front, but the Swans too strong.

learnings: a high uncontested possession game with high uncontested marks is a good way to defeat umpires, it eliminates opportunity for favourites such as sliding into the legs and flopping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The Red V defeat Bulldogs - Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back