The Ruck Debate is Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Sauce deserves a big pat on the back for the past couple of weeks effort.:thumbsu:

I thought Sauce rucked a lot more today than last week, thus allowing Kruezer to run into some 'around the ground' form.
Kruezer looked very happy out there today, it's like a big weight has been lifted off his shoulders not having the burden of carrying all our rucking duties, game after game.

Jacobs gives more of a contest, has a better mark, and is probably better at ground level than Warnock.

However I'd say that Hampson is probably better than both Jacobs and Warnock in all aspects when fit, bar marking.

Jacobs probably the best in the tapouts, but Hampson has the potential to be the better of the lot with his leap and athleticism.

Just my two cents.

Unless we got a top 5 draft pick we'd be mad to trade any our our 4 talls at season's end.
The risk is too great if one or more suffers a major injury. I don't envy Hawthorn's situation - don't tempt it.

Point 1, yes it does suck to not have ruck options. I don't think the ruck situation can be blamed for heeeaps of Hawthorn's situation though - yesterday we had two rucks for the first time this year, and Richmond (of all clubs) smashed us in the clearances. HFC has numerous problems.

Point 2, you definitely won't get a top 5 pick for anyone but Kreuzer (who would be worth a #1 - he's fulfilling his talent, and would arrive at a club ready-made).
Warnock, Hampson, and Jacobs are all what you'd call "second string AFL ruck" at this point in time. By that, I mean that they deserve to be on AFL lists, but are not currently suitable to lead a top notch ruck division (there's probably about a dozen players in the AFL who are - Hille, Ryder, Cox, Naitanui, Sandilands, Hudson, Kreuzer, Jolly, Maric, Ottens, McIntosh, and maybe a couple of others).

Recent trade week outcomes for second string rucks are:
Mumford: Pick 28
Warnock: Pick 24 + later round swaps
Meesen: Pick 38
Wood: Pick 14
Moran: Pick 34

It's hard to predict the effect of the forthcoming compromised drafts on trade week values, but you'd say that Hampson, Warnock, and Jacobs are at home in the company of the above listed players - mid to late second round pick value. Unless Carlton's list has a major structural flaw that can be remedied by swapping one of your rucks, it's probably a decent idea to persist with the four you have. One of them (could be any one) is likely to fall by the wayside due to form or injury in the next year or so anyway.

Point 1, yes it does suck to not have ruck options. I don't think the ruck situation can be blamed for heeeaps of Hawthorn's situation though - yesterday we had two rucks for the first time this year, and Richmond (of all clubs) smashed us in the clearances. HFC has numerous problems.

Point 2, you definitely won't get a top 5 pick for anyone but Kreuzer (who would be worth a #1 - he's fulfilling his talent, and would arrive at a club ready-made).
Warnock, Hampson, and Jacobs are all what you'd call "second string AFL ruck" at this point in time. By that, I mean that they deserve to be on AFL lists, but are not currently suitable to lead a top notch ruck division (there's probably about a dozen players in the AFL who are - Hille, Ryder, Cox, Naitanui, Sandilands, Hudson, Kreuzer, Jolly, Maric, Ottens, McIntosh, and maybe a couple of others).

Recent trade week outcomes for second string rucks are:
Mumford: Pick 28
Warnock: Pick 24 + later round swaps
Meesen: Pick 38
Wood: Pick 14
Moran: Pick 34

It's hard to predict the effect of the forthcoming compromised drafts on trade week values, but you'd say that Hampson, Warnock, and Jacobs are at home in the company of the above listed players - mid to late second round pick value. Unless Carlton's list has a major structural flaw that can be remedied by swapping one of your rucks, it's probably a decent idea to persist with the four you have. One of them (could be any one) is likely to fall by the wayside due to form or injury in the next year or so anyway.

Hate not being able to pick a hole in an opposition supporters comments, but fair post that Soup.

Still reckon that if Hampson can break his way into the side this year and play some good footy we could get a first rounder for him.

Not that I would make the trade, think he is going to be special :thumbsu:

Liking what I am seeing from the Big Sauce at the moment. Could develop into an A grade ruck.

Good position to be in for the Blues.

I think like soup has mentioned, I don't see us trading any of Hammo, Jacobs or Warnock in the near future. I would rather have them on our list you never know when a disaster may befall us, and all of them are ready made to walk into a team, they all have strengths and have improvement left in them.

I think like soup has mentioned, I don't see us trading any of Hammo, Jacobs or Warnock in the near future. I would rather have them on our list you never know when a disaster may befall us, and all of them are ready made to walk into a team, they all have strengths and have improvement left in them.

:thumbsu:

Most clubs these days would like to have 4 ruckmen in case of an injury. We do so I dont see us trying to get rid of any of these boys any time soon.

The good thing with having the four is that we can rotate them through the seniors if we feel we need to give them a rest etc, another advantage when you have four big boys who you know will give it a go and not get embarrassed in the ruck.

If they are any good they will be hard to keep. A worthy third stringer not getting a game will quickly find his way to another club.
Thanks for the Warnock/Suban swap though.

:thumbsu:

Most clubs these days would like to have 4 ruckmen in case of an injury. We do so I dont see us trying to get rid of any of these boys any time soon.

Not so much the club moving one on, rather one of Hammer, 206 or Sauce not getting enough senior games to their satisfaction and wanting to go/be traded. I think we all agree all three can play seniors but won't all play at the same time. The only way I can see us keeping them all is if they're happy to rotate as Alpha mentions in his post.

There is no way we should trade any of our ruckman, as we will not get anything decent in return. We have the advantage over a number of teams - Port, Hawthorn, Adelaide etc who have weak ruck stocks, this advantage helped us run over Port in the last qrt yesterday. We had 5 or 6 years with no decent ruckman or backups in the last decade, lets not go back there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many weeks in a row do I need to bump this thread

Jacobs was a star today.

Consistant hit out to advantages or nullifying Renouf (granted...not that hard)

...but the pack marks were A1. A real target. Warnock is gonna find it tough

Jacobs was a star today.

Ha ha.... hilarious! Glad your not on the MC, Jacobs a star for a day.... playing his best NO UPSIDE left in him, give him his 15 mins of fame! HAMPSON a star for 10 years to come! Luckily the MC have a PLAN, unlike yourself... and you know what they say about a man WITHOUT a plan, actually, I am pretty sure you dont!

Ha ha.... hilarious! Glad your not on the MC, Jacobs a star for a day.... playing his best NO UPSIDE left in him, give him his 15 mins of fame! HAMPSON a star for 10 years to come! Luckily the MC have a PLAN, unlike yourself... and you know what they say about a man WITHOUT a plan, actually, I am pretty sure you dont!

*Dennis is scratching his head at allegation Jacobs is too old*

Jacobs was a star today.

I have to agree with you on this one. Everytime I watch Sauce play he just continues to improve. At the moment I would say he is currently our best ruckman. What he lacks in skills below his knees he makes up for with his tap ruckwork & his marking around the ground. He just needs to have more confidence in his kicking, because he has a penetrating kick. This was no better demonstrated than when he took a free kick from beside the behind post & comfortable kicked the ball outside 50.

Jacobs better at the contest than Warnock: NO
Jacobs a better mark: YES
Jacobs the better pure ruckman: JUST
Jacobs better at ground level: NO

2 cents will just about get you there on those comments ;)

I think after today Jacobs proved you to be very wrong!

Brilliant display from him today in all aspects. You can tell the team feel comfortable to kick it to him in a contest as he's able to hold his own, unlike Warnock who is still very raw and is currently a liability when the ball hits the deck.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ruck Debate is Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back