Toast Things to look forward to in season 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Six days until our first game, and we're probably all preparing ourselves for another tough year.

But there are still plenty of things to look forward to, so it'd be good to have a thread to run through some of the things we're excited about.

For me:

Daniel Rich back in the midfield: When he can turn onto his left forward of halfway it always feels like we're a chance to score soon. Looking forward to more of these moments now he's playing further up the ground.

Daniel McStay in the backline: We've seen some great little moments from him, but only a handful each week. With him playing down back permanently it's likely he'll get more involved more often, and we saw some glimpses against the Giants that he can bring some of that quality to a defensive role this year.

New recruits: The biggest positives from the last two years have been out of the new recruits, delivering things we weren't expecting to see before the season started: Taylor and Gardiner in 2014, and Christensen, Robinson and Andrews in 2015. It's become something of a strength how quickly we can get the most out of players. Hopefully that continues and the likes of Bell, Bastinac, Walker, Keays, Mathieson and Schache will give us more reason to be confident about the future this year.

I agree with all of those. For me, I'd add:

Forwards playing forward
I think it's telling that I (amongst others) was really excited by Luke McGuane's selection in the team for the later rounds of 2015. It feels like we spent the entire season cobbling together a forward line from ruckmen, backmen and smalls. I know we'll be a work in progress, and I'm dimming my expectations of the younger players, but I feel confident of some glimpses from Walker, Freeman and Schache, and maybe some bonus cameos from the likes of Hipwood or Close. That would be infinitely more fun to watch.

Some bigger bodies
Despite getting younger, we feel a bit bigger to me this year. Bastinac doesn't look especially powerful, but Bell, Walker and Jansen are big bodied inclusions. Added to that, some of our younger guys like Cutler and Andrews look (to me) substantially bulked up, and several of those that haven't look at least more physically mature (Lewis Taylor comes to mind). That follows after last year where Beams and Robinson really added to our physicality. No doubt we still lag behind all of the finals sides and some of the hopefuls, but I do think we look bigger bodied compared to this time last year. So, I'd like to believe that if we're not competitive at stages, it will be less to do with the stature of the team.

A more settled environment
Say what you want about Leppa, the noises coming out of the playing group have been consistently positive. It seems as though the improvements in off-field personnel and list changes are starting to coalesce into a unified group. If we look at our most concerning wantaways: Mayes has been vocally positive about the club while recognizing the difficulties of his personal choice. In contrast, last year Aish ducked most of those questions and seemed to have his agent fanning the flames all year. Sure we might get struck from the blue and lose someone we don't expect, but most of the key pieces are on long term deals and have been vocally committed. It may not translate to a heap of wins this year, but it'd be a nicer backdrop than what we've been dealing with.

Last edited:
For me it's pretty simple, for football to just be purely about football and not the circus that engulfed it last year with so many distractions and not only for our club but the league.

just can't wait to get to the gabba for round 2. we have a lot of tough games at home this year but i am really excited by the prospect of seeing live how we go against the likes of potential top 4 sides- north melbourne, sydney, hawthorn, west coast, fremantle. port adelaide, geelong and other young sides on the rise in the suns, collingwood, GWS and st.kilda.
run and gun. committed not involved.:footy:

Schache's first bag

Would never expect a first year KPF to kick a bag in his first year but considering the 2016 Essendon team I'd say there's a reasonable chance he can kick one against them.

Good call. I had chills when he took that first mark on the wing against the Suns. I can't imagine what I'd feel if he racked up three or four goals in the first half of any game.

Good call. I had chills when he took that first mark on the wing against the Suns. I can't imagine what I'd feel if he racked up three or four goals in the first half of any game.

Giddy chased with a thick dash of optimistic glee.

Seeing the younger players develop will be the big one for me. In my opinion, we are realistically two seasons from finals so the development of our young players will be one of the highlights this season I hope.

Keays, Jansen, Robertson, Clayton, Watts, Schache, Dawson, Cutler, McStay, Gardiner, Taylor, McGrath, Hipwood, Andrews, Freeman, Mathieson, Skinner, McGuiness, Hanley Jr, Hammelmann, Archie, Beasley, Evans, William

22 players right there - not all of them will make it, but if we get half of them that are good enough to consistently get games/push for selection this year then we are building towards finals in a couple of seasons.

Rich launching bombs from outside 50 - a highlight sorely missed for any Brisbane fan last year

Lester stepping up - I'm probably president of the Ryan Lester fan club but I truly think he can be a great player for us - as shown in snippets last year.

The Irishman - Pearce is just a delight to watch.

Continued growth from Harris - I just smile to myself every time he does anything. He's going to be an absolute star for us, so enjoy the ride.

In no particular order:

1. Justin Clarke hopefully returning to the game.
2. Josh Schache; first goal of his career.
3. Seeing continued improvement in our defensive unit of Andrews, McStay, Cutler, Gardiner and Harwood.
4. More signings, lots.
5. An unexpected big break out year eg. Clayton, Close, Dawson, McGuiness, Robertson, Watts etc.

Schache kicking a few goals. Freeman the same.

Our midfield actually playing games together.

Mcstay and andrews down back.

Not being considered rabble, a laughing stock, a joke by a large portion of the media and opposition fans. Haters are always gunna hate and we might still be a couple of seasons away, but it would be great to not have to read round one prediction threads and see others giving is a 150 point start against West Coast.

So in a nutshell hoping we can start to earn some respect.

Also looking forward to seeing the players of our 2013 and 2014 drafts start to establish themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first upset win. We are going to do it this year, with a combination of complacent opposition and a team capable of surprises. Hope it comes in the first 2 rounds but would trade that for the Magpies at home.

I looking forward to greater consistency this year, so improvement can really start to happen. That, and more games into our young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Things to look forward to in season 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back