Thoughts On The Port Game (post game)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how it should be for our veterans. Instead Edwards, McLeod and Goodwin are still our three most important players. We only win when the three of them have big games (or we play a shit team). Vince, van Berlo, Douglas, Knights, Reilly... the opposition clubs do not spend a millisecond of time worrying about those guys. They never tag them. They are happy for them to get as much of the ball as they like. Because it has no bearing on the result of the game. Only Thompson could say that he has taken any pressure off our veterans.

Fair call, though I wouldn't tar Vince with the same brush as the other guys...he is performing.

NC at the post match conference admitted that currently we are playing too slow and not taking enough risks however I believe playing 2-3 seasons with a negative game plan has affected the players mind set

Neil needs to find a way of snapping the players into taking risks and not playing so safe however it needs to start with the structure and game plan, get this right and hopefully the players will follow

Last night
Game Plan - Poor
Stoppages - Poor
Contested Ball - Poor
Aerial Contested Ball - Poor
Ability to move ball quickly - Poor
Ability to defend quickly - Poor
Decision Making - Poor

Neil is starts in the coaches box, develop the right balanced game plan, implement the structure to execute the game plan and give the players the courage to take risks and not play safe

NC at the post match conference admitted that currently we are playing too slow and not taking enough risks however I believe playing 2-3 seasons with a negative game plan has affected the players mind set

Neil needs to find a way of snapping the players into taking risks and not playing so safe however it needs to start with the structure and game plan, get this right and hopefully the players will follow

Last night
Game Plan - Poor
Stoppages - Poor
Contested Ball - Poor
Aerial Contested Ball - Poor
Ability to move ball quickly - Poor
Ability to defend quickly - Poor
Decision Making - Poor

Neil is starts in the coaches box, develop the right balanced game plan, implement the structure to execute the game plan and give the players the courage to take risks and not play safe

Great summation.

I mentioned in another thread but i think a huge piece of the puzzle, almost the crucial one structurally, is Tippett to CHF.

Sure we can think we are Geelong and Craig can blame the players but they are not good enough for such a precise chess board game plan going forward.

We need to get through half-forward. All else structurally and attacking game plan wise will flow from this.

Fair call, though I wouldn't tar Vince with the same brush as the other guys...he is performing.
Vince is our only midfielder who seems to want to dominate. He lifted last night, unlike many of his team mates.

Too many players seem to be trying to play to the game plan rather than trying to win the game of football. When Dangerfield gets the ball in space, only to stop and look behind him, you know that something is wrong. We are becoming more crab-like every week, much like St Kilda last year. This gameplan just does not suit us, as our midfield is modest at best. We need to go back to playing accountable football, and bring back the run from defence. Some shepherding the ball carrier would be a welcome change as well.

Next week I hope that they start showing some pride in the jumper or it will be time to start swinging the axe - big time.

Just a couple of extra things, Walker was given 70% game time last night, so I'm not sure we can use that as an excuse for his lack of footy. Our system going forward, or lack of and our structure up there on the other hand could be. However his checkside shot on goal was disgraceful from one with such a quality set shot, shows he's really lacking in confidence. I'm sorry but I don't think a run in the SANFL would hurt him at all. Now chances are NC'll give him another week and he'll kick 5 against the dogs, but at the moment I don't think it'd hurt for him to have a break.

With regards to Doughty's game, I actually thought he played quite a serviceable game and didn't panic too much under pressure, also still put his body on the line, still struggling to get up to last years standards, but did show some leadership out there I thought.

Gee, I reckon Thompson has been alright and was one of our better midfielders last night.

Haven't checked any stats but I would guess that he is leading our clearances and our tackles, up their with possessions and at the same time commands more defensive pressure than anyone else, bar McLeod.

Thommo takes a fair bit of heat for the team. For example Vince gets an easier ride because Thompson is there.
THompson has been one of our best players all year but don't take too much notice of Jenny's rambling on this issue. No matter what Thompson does will never be good enough for her.

Thompson is at the bottom of every pack and sets up most of our work from stoppages. He can't do it alone. Speaking to Viney at the season launch, he said he would love to have 2 or 3 players of Thompson's ilk because he is our best midfielder but never gets the credit for his bullocking work.

I guess he is not pretty enough as a player ;)

Just a couple of extra things, Walker was given 70% game time last night, so I'm not sure we can use that as an excuse for his lack of footy. Our system going forward, or lack of and our structure up there on the other hand could be. However his checkside shot on goal was disgraceful from one with such a quality set shot, shows he's really lacking in confidence. I'm sorry but I don't think a run in the SANFL would hurt him at all. Now chances are NC'll give him another week and he'll kick 5 against the dogs, but at the moment I don't think it'd hurt for him to have a break.

I tend to agree. Unfortunately Norwood have the bye next week! Why does this always happen?

If McKernan goes well today I reckon we should give him a run up forward. He's been impressive in a (to put it bluntly) pathetic South side.

Apart from the first 5minutes , last night was disgusting to say the least. We were smashed in so many facets of the game, up forward, in the middle, in the ruck and in defence. Very few can hold their head up today.

In the ruck, Brogan absolutely molested Griffin, he taught him a lesson on how to ruck. It was embarassing to be honest, but Brogan is one of the best rucks in the AFL and combined with Lade makes the best overall combo. Tippett tried but was also well beaten. This is where the problem started.

Then the problem spread in that Port were getting first use and making the most of the ruck dominance. Their midfielders were continuously winning the hardball and winning important clearances. Rodan, Cornes, Thomas, Pearce were constantly getting the footy from every 50/50 contest. Their run was more, ours was stop start, handball into trouble. We could not find a smooth and sharp passageway to our forwards. When we kicked forward, we bombed it with no purpose. Walker was slaughtered by Carlile and Stevens slaughtered by Chaplin. We basically didn't have a functioning forward apart from Porps but even he was well down on his best. Petrenko tried but it isn't enough, you need more contributers.

What pissed me off the most was our lack of defensive pressure, sure we did tackle but that was because they always got the ball first, we didn't clamp down enough and deny them space. Port love to run and we played into their hands. They made us look slow and 2nd rate, constantly 2nd guessing what they would do next. We got taught a football lesson on what AFL is about all over the ground.

Need to really bounce back next week, 2nd efforts for one, first hands on footy another. Maric's agro would be handy, he is a better ruckman than Griffin. Moran another, he is in some sort of SANFL form. Walker deserves a holiday and a word on 2nd efforts and contesting. Too often he floated off the pack and out of the contest.

Several senior players as well need their arse kicked, even our best in McLeod. He might as well not have played to be honest. Passenger.

Anyways enough complaining, but efforts like that will see any side beat us.

On a side note, Hartlett continues to impress, loved him as a junior and had him well above Brad Ebert when I saw them in the Under 16's. The best sidestep of any junior I have seen and a superb user of the ball. His ability at a 50/50 contest is the best any draftee in a long long time. Hip strength amazing, once he adds another 5-8kg to his frame, he really will be very very hard to tackle and be a dangerous player who stops time. Love those, Port have a ripper here.

Mcleod- Should be played up forward, we have enough run with Johncock, Bock, Doughty, Otten etc
Otten- If only we had a few more Ottens
Rutten- Looks a tad slow but tightened up in the 2nd half
Vince- Same as Otten, class player
Reilly- Didn't notice him too much, he slipped over a bit, doesnt look like he did a couple of years ago
Mackay- An offender of kicking it high and long for it to only be ran out of defence by the opposition, a bit overated on this board
Johncock- Thought he was good but only had 13 disposals
Petrenko- Doesn't rack it up but when he has it he uses it well generally, does good work off the ball
Griffin- Lacks mongrel, isn't great tap ruckman, cant kick, Maric>Griffin
Tippett- Thought he was good
Cook- Cant kick
Bock- Good as always, port supporters were harsh with the boos
Van Berlo- Make Van Berlo a tagger, he is athletic, quickish, hard, and we have much better damaging players than him, OVERRATED SEVERLY
Thompson- Does the hard stuff, makes some disposal blunders which he gets critized for but his in close work is exceptional
Goodwin- :thumbsdown: this is his last year
Walker- Bad game but with that delivery no forwards would have had a good game, he needs to play 22 games, he should not get dropped
Edwards- Classy as always probably our only veteran that can continue playing for 3 or so more years

Maybe I shouldn't post this, but what did u guys think of Hartlett before he got injured?

thanks.

Hartlett is a star in the making. Extremely clean under pressure and just doesn't miss targets. He was very impressive. Other things about Port that I had to grudgingly admire:
1. Tredrea's leading and delivery to him was first class.
2. Chad Cornes played his best game in the last 12 months.
3. Defence was rock solid, although our delivery was terrible.

Things I also noticed were that Kane Cornes doesn't impress me at all and I think Salopek is over rated IMHO.

On the Adelaide side there were very few positives, I think we are in for a very long season of ups and downs, which is what I expected when I took off my optimist hat.:thumbsu:

Great summation.

I mentioned in another thread but i think a huge piece of the puzzle, almost the crucial one structurally, is Tippett to CHF.

Sure we can think we are Geelong and Craig can blame the players but they are not good enough for such a precise chess board game plan going forward.

We need to get through half-forward. All else structurally and attacking game plan wise will flow from this.

I agree with this move, but the problem is that when we go forward, there is never a crumber to clean up from the contests. I would like to see Jacky in that role and for Craigy to start directing play through the corridor, rather than this horrible mess we have currently. Porps is not a key forward and is unfortunately the only one even looking like a key forward.

How many times did the ball get bombed in long to uncontested marks by Port players and no forward within 20 metres of the ball. Depressing.

On a side note, Hartlett continues to impress, loved him as a junior and had him well above Brad Ebert when I saw them in the Under 16's. The best sidestep of any junior I have seen and a superb user of the ball. His ability at a 50/50 contest is the best any draftee in a long long time. Hip strength amazing, once he adds another 5-8kg to his frame, he really will be very very hard to tackle and be a dangerous player who stops time. Love those, Port have a ripper here.

Definately a superstar in the making.

What would you rather, finish 5th-8th and get knocked out in the first week of finals OR finish 13th and draft a player of Hartletts ilk? People rave about our young guys, I would swap our small/mids for ports without a second thought.

Definately a superstar in the making.

What would you rather, finish 5th-8th and get knocked out in the first week of finals OR finish 13th and draft a player of Hartletts ilk? People rave about our young guys, I would swap our small/mids for ports without a second thought.

I'm sorry springy but you are way over reacting.

last week and the week before we have been told we have one of the most exciting under 21 lists in the AFL now people like you are wanting to swap them with Ports.

Seriosuly I wouldn't swap out list for Port List even if it came with Buddy Franklin.

What we have here is a massive overreaction to a team we new at the start of the year was going to be up and down and fight it out for the bottom of the 8. Nothing has changed except we have lost to Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Walker i am willing to carry but at least get him on the ground. He has lost confidence due to benching and the deplorable delivery from upfield. We have seen a guy who naturally leads strongly for the ball now just standing back unsure of himself (because he cannot trust his teammates). If we continue to screw him around, back to Norwood. Supposedly 50 forward entries last night! Most were absolute crap and gave forwards minimal chance.

I noticed this aswell. In his early games he was getting burnt alot when he lead to the ball carrier so now he just stands next to tippet because that seems to be our only type of foward entry, just bomb it in long to the big fella.

I know it doesn't help when by the time the ball is any where near the forward line that the opposition has 10 - 12 players taking up leading space, but all this emphasise is that we need to move the ball QUICK to give the lad a chance

As much as I hate to say it (like most would rather him be given a real extended crack) he probably needs a run for norwood to gain the only thing he can from the sanfl, form and confidence

I'm sorry springy but you are way over reacting.

last week and the week before we have been told we have one of the most exciting under 21 lists in the AFL now people like you are wanting to swap them with Ports.

Seriosuly I wouldn't swap out list for Port List even if it came with Buddy Franklin.

What we have here is a massive overreaction to a team we new at the start of the year was going to be up and down and fight it out for the bottom of the 8. Nothing has changed except we have lost to Port

hallelujah!

these are the same fans who would have swapped Geelongs list in 2006 when its young side was copping hidings and had an atricious gameplan

face it, we arent a finals side this year, so no point overreacting. Young sides are terrible inconsistent, always have been. The`ll probably have a few great wins and some shocking defeats all year.

But as they said, we`ve been touted as having the most exciting young list at the moment, and the results of that wont be shown by a 4 game forward trying to outplay a very good team in Port, but after 50 or so games when they have 2-3 preseasons of weighttraining in them, more confidence and experience.

if it was Port that was 40+ points down, they would have given up and been flogged, at least our side has the heart to keep fighting even when playing a superior side. we had a side with far less experience, and up against the two best ruckmen in the league, thereby surrendering first touch of the ball 95% of the time.

some of our kids are showing glimmers of pure class, Otten looks like hes been playing for 2 years already.

if we finish 13th or so this year like Port did, at least we still gave it our all with a squad of kids, and didnt need to tank whilst still able to make the finals. after all, we 'live the creed' :D

We have built a young team, they have a few players "better" than ours die to high draft picks, but no real youth structure.

We will see how good their youth is once Brogan/Lade/Tredders/Chad/P Burger retire in the next 2-3 years. We got a glimpse last year when they went missing at times. They beat us due to dominance in ruck and Chad being allowed to float around on his own.

I love our structure of players under 23 we have quality in most areas of the ground and with another 50 games this group will show something. Ottens and McKay already look like veterans with less than 30 games. On the plus 23 side we have Stiffy Porps and Vince gaining experience and taking ownership of the club. Goodwin is captain in name only now.

Keep the faith 2009 is not about making the 8, although we can still do it. But about getting quality game time into our kids.

if it was Port that was 40+ points down, they would have given up and been flogged, at least our side has the heart to keep fighting even when playing a superior side. we had a side with far less experience, and up against the two best ruckmen in the league, thereby surrendering first touch of the ball 95% of the time.

some of our kids are showing glimmers of pure class, Otten looks like hes been playing for 2 years already.

if we finish 13th or so this year like Port did, at least we still gave it our all with a squad of kids, and didnt need to tank whilst still able to make the finals. after all, we 'live the creed' :D

Spot on.:thumbsu:

This year was always going to be an up and down year. Its just that last night was disappointing.

For christs sakes, don't drop Walker. He is likely to have a great game next week against the Doggies. I'd leave him in the pocket when Tippett is at FF rather than interchanging thses two. Then have Porps at the fall of the ball. Now that would have their backmen thinking.

Next month is tough and we will really know how we are developing.

With regards to Doughty's game, I actually thought he played quite a serviceable game and didn't panic too much under pressure, also still put his body on the line, still struggling to get up to last years standards, but did show some leadership out there I thought.

With Walker maybe over confidence rather than lack of ..........moreso poor judgement and the moment made him make a panic decison

For his own good he must be dropped to get some confidence and importantly more ball touch

Doughty who I have been a strong supporter of .......is now frustrating me

He is a major "safe" player who will always go backwards at the hint of ant pressure rather than take the game on

Wouldn't mind seeing more speed and agression in our game.

Good point .......strong bodied players have always been a feature of premiership sides ......and we are lacking in that area since Roo retired

Looking at the game yesterday 24 hours on my thoughts are:

1. WE have assembled a highly skilled list with great aerobic capacity ......with added pace in recent drafts

They are "nice" players .......Vince, Mackay, Douglas, Knights, Davis, Sellar, Jacky .....do I need to go on

BUT where are those strong bodied agressive players on our list ......Rook, Mooney, Scarlett from Geelong .....Brown, Roughead, Lewis, and Seweel from Hawthorn

I am hoping Sloane, Dangerfield, Maric, and McKernan can correct the current imbalance between "nice" players and "grunt" players

2. Many of our players at the first sign of pressure take the safe option.

In the 1st qtr early we played good agreesive and direct footy ......then a couple of our younger players turned the ball over and suddenly Port had the momentum

Our reaction was to go back into our shell by kicking backwards and racking up UNCONTESTED possessions.

I do like that Dangerfield, and Mackay have attack in grained in them

I don't like that as soon as the pressure lifts Griffen goes missing

3. Stevens has not recovered from his concussion and is seriously not comitted to the contest ATM

4. Seriously I do not understand the negative comments about our champions in Goodwin and Macleod

Port planned all night to take Goodwin out of the play and to FB .......and we're critical because the Port tactic worked ...??

For 32 year olds Goodwin, Edwards, and Macleod have been better than any of our young players this season .......yet because our expectations are so high we criticise them and exalt the youngsters :confused:

5. Dangerfield may have been quieter last night but seriously even when looking at his plays that didn't quite work .......it was still some classy work

Brereton last week that Dangerfield was doing things NOW that no 19 year old should be doing

6. Our forwrd entries AP are either all long bombs OR kicks to loose players dotted around the 50 mtr line

What ever happened to the leading pass?

Maybe if we didn't go backwards all the time we could get the ball to our forwrds B4 oppositions flood back

Port planned all night to take Goodwin out of the play and to FB .......and we're critical because the Port tactic worked ...??

The tactics worked or we wanted Goodwin to play deep?! Craig said in his press conference after the game that we wanted Goodwin on Motlop and last time I checked, Motlop predominantly plays out of the square or very deep in the forward line. He does most of his work in the 50 meter arc.

Now, if you are putting Goodwin voluntarily on Motlop who you know will play 90% of TOG inside their forward 50 arc then I am not sure it was the Port tactics making us do it. We voluntarily went down that path.

Other than Edwards, I question the leadership and willingness to put the body on the line and lay a tackle of every single senior player. That display was soft as butter. They would have made Jericho proud.

Best
Port Adelaide: Dean Brogan, Chad Cornes, Steven Salopek, Daniel Motlop, Warren Tredrea, Tom Logan, Kane Cornes
Adelaide: Bernie Vince, Nathan Bock, Scott Thompson, Patrick Dangerfield, Jared Petrenko

Well I didn't get to see that match (thankfully by the sounds of it) but looking at our best players I'm struggling to see everyones attack on the younger guys stepping up?

Not one of the older guys got into the best players?

Port on the other hand reflect why in a few years they are going to be in trouble.

Its one journalists view. It is not reflective of anything. Having Dangerfield has 4th best for you smacks of lazy journalism...or someone who saw the last quarter only. He barely went near it for the first three quarters.

I wonder if all this negativity would be apparent if we had played Hawthorn or even the dogs?
Sure we did not play our best but was that not expected? The majority of the posters agreed in the last two weeks that our rucks were not very good. We get killed in the ruck by two of the league's best and wonder why we lost and looked pathetic?
A lot of posters agree that we handball too much and that we should kick the ball forward more often. Did anybody notice that last night there was only one 1-1 contest that we won. That was by Porps in the first 30 secs.
Now if we are that bad in aerial contests, would it be better if we just kicked the ball forward?:confused:

I wonder if all this negativity would be apparent if we had played Hawthorn or even the dogs?
Sure we did not play our best but was that not expected? The majority of the posters agreed in the last two weeks that our rucks were not very good. We get killed in the ruck by two of the league's best and wonder why we lost and looked pathetic?
A lot of posters agree that we handball too much and that we should kick the ball forward more often. Did anybody notice that last night there was only one 1-1 contest that we won. That was by Porps in the first 30 secs.
Now if we are that bad in aerial contests, would it be better if we just kicked the ball forward?:confused:

The negativity is the culmination of watching the past 6 weeks...worrying trends.

Criticism of Griffin is warranted not because he got beaten but how he got beaten...played like he was built like Danny Morton (and Morton would have gone much harder than Griffin did).

It will be better if we kick it forward more often to a better structure.

Its one journalists view. It is not reflective of anything. Having Dangerfield has 4th best for you smacks of lazy journalism...or someone who saw the last quarter only. He barely went near it for the first three quarters.

fair call that post was purely from i didn't watch it and i'm going off others opinion

that did come from the AFC i suppose

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The Port Game (post game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back