Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Otten vs Shaw is a really interesting question. We all thought that Shaw had the position sewn up, only for injury to present Otten with an opportunity - which he seized with both hands. There is probably only room for one of these players right now (with Shaw taking Doughty's position in 2013). Both have a legitimate case for selection and both will rightly feel hard done by if/when they don't get selected this week.

What are you basing that assessment of Brown on?
What he showed last week, relative to what the other four have all shown in their various games this year.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not writing off Brown's AFL career. He's a first year player who is still very much in the developmental phase of his career. Right now though, he's a long, long, long, long way off the standards being set by Doughty, Smith, Shaw, Johncock & Otten.

Otten vs Shaw is a really interesting question. We all thought that Shaw had the position sewn up, only for injury to present Otten with an opportunity - which he seized with both hands. There is probably only room for one of these players right now (with Shaw taking Doughty's position in 2013). Both have a legitimate case for selection and both will rightly feel hard done by if/when they don't get selected this week.

If Shaw can take Doughty's position next year, then why not now? His form has been just as good, and the skills that Doughty has (spoiling, 3rd man across judgement) Shaw also has, plus more (height, pace, versatility).

Otten has rocketed into the Best 22, but Shaw can be in there also. Should displace Smith or Doughty from the defensive unit before not getting selected.

Whoaaaaa!

Three spoils.

Well I didn't realise that.

Forget the Stevens 6 goal final which bought him another 3 seasons and a reputation as a "swing man"... we have our new Crowment: the Doughty 3 spoil quarter that could extend his career into 2015 at least.

6.jpg

Oh by the way, I was being sarcastic :oops:;)

Dogga is pretty awesome and courageous at spoiling the ball for a little bloke.
Dogga is like all 18 year olds. He thinks he's bulletproof

Premiership Backline:

Shaw, Rutten, Otten
Reilly, Talia, Mackay

Bench: Smith

Lurking forward in reserve: Johncock.

Having said all that, I'd feel for Doughty if we won this year and he didn't play...though I'd put the clubs success over any player selection.

I agree 100%, your back 6 has a great blend of pace, kicking skills and dour defenders. Moving D-Mac to the HBF means we have a good second string to our bow if the opposition play a stopper on Radar. Dogga doesn't play that role well and we have been using Sam Shaw as the spare man in defencea bit in recent matches.

The solution to our defensive problems was very unexpected, Matthew Wright. His form as a tagger has freed up VB to replace D-Mac as an outside midfielder. Sando has flirted with VB in the back six occasionally but the D-Mac move seems to be a better fit.

Premiership Backline:

Shaw, Rutten, Otten
Reilly, Talia, Mackay

That is one tall backline. Has there ever been one like this before?

I would expect at least 1 small defender (Brown) in our future best 22 backline.

That is one tall backline. Has there ever been one like this before?

I would expect at least 1 small defender (Brown) in our future best 22 backline.

Similar to Hawthorn and Collingwood. West Coast also have a heap of 190+ defenders when they have evryone available. The speed and agility of Shaw means he can play the Dogga role on smaller players. Those not a yesterday's match may not have noticed but Dogga was on Hams for a lot of the time. I'm not convinced that Dogga can play on really quick small forwards (e.g. milne, Rioli)

If Shaw can take Doughty's position next year, then why not now? His form has been just as good, and the skills that Doughty has (spoiling, 3rd man across judgement) Shaw also has, plus more (height, pace, versatility).

Otten has rocketed into the Best 22, but Shaw can be in there also. Should displace Smith or Doughty from the defensive unit before not getting selected.
He can have Doughty's position next year because Doughty will be retired and won't be available for selection. As for this year.. Doughty is a long, long way ahead of where Sam Shaw is at right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can have Doughty's position next year because Doughty will be retired and won't be available for selection. As for this year.. Doughty is a long, long way ahead of where Sam Shaw is at right now.
That's not accurate.

That's not accurate.
Which part?

Doughty's retirement hasn't been announced, but I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't happen.
Sam Shaw being a long, long way behind Doughty is fact - and only someone with a severe case of "shiny new toyitis" could possibly argue otherwise.

Which part?

Doughty's retirement hasn't been announced, but I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't happen.
Sam Shaw being a long, long way behind Doughty is fact - and only someone with a severe case of "shiny new toyitis" could possibly argue otherwise.
Or the person suffering from "crusty old hoarderitis" would think Doughty is a long long way ahead of Shaw. Shaw can play on talls, smalls, loose man and up forward. Doughty can spoil. Yippee.

Which part?

I like how you announce your opinion as fact. I'm not sure how any good/fair judge could put Doughty a long way in front of Shaw or Smith. In fact i would have him behind both. Would pick Otten before him as well after the weekend. Selection will be interesting.

I have always been a supporter of Dogga and have always had him in my best 22. With the development of Shaw, DMac playing off half back, Brodie Smith doing well in the backline and now the possibility that Otten is back to form the case for Dogga is very much in the balance. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer on this one. I think I'm on the fence for the first time in my life. Slap me.

Whoaaaaa!

Three spoils.

Well I didn't realise that.

Forget the Stevens 6 goal final which bought him another 3 seasons and a reputation as a "swing man"... we have our new Crowment: the Doughty 3 spoil quarter that could extend his career into 2015 at least.

6.jpg

Oh by the way, I was being sarcastic :oops:;)

Dogga is pretty awesome and courageous at spoiling the ball for a little bloke.

If you keep paying attention you might be a good judge of a footballer sometime soon Carl. Oh by the way, I was being sarcastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back