Time for change

Remove this Banner Ad

I've posted on this before. Calls for Harvey to be sacked are premature at this point.

Yes, he did better last year, even with the late season injury issues. I also agree that our tactics this year have been somewhat pedestrian and easy to counter. But no single coach can do everything, including Harvey.

I think there are two areas where we are poorer than last year, coaching team and fitness / sports science team.

Last year we had a very good coaching structure. This year we don't have that same structure and I believe we are the poorer for it. Losing Scott was a big loss and pulling Lloyd away from being a full time development coach to being games assistant is not the answer. My view is let Lloyd go back to where he did a sensational job and get an assistant coach to back Harvey up on gameday tactics and responses. Getting a decent plan "B' might be useful when we've become fairly predictable.

People talk about our injury crisis but lets not forget that both Hill and Mundy had interrupted pre-seasons due to over training. Morabito's injury was the result of fatigue and some bad luck. Other injuries, while probably unlucky, do not seem to have resulted in return times that would be normally associated with the types of injuries seen. They seem to be somewhat extended.

Other clubs seem to have nowhere near the injury problems we've had this year. Now you can put it down to bad luck but unless Freo has suddenly become overrun with black cats, then I'd be thinking that our fitness people aren't as good as they need to be. One of the signs of a poor fitness regime is a higher tendency to get player injuries. Before anyone brings up the obvious point, no I'm not including the 'bad luck' stuff like legs breaks or the weird ligament injuries caused by on field accidents or even stepping on sprinklers. It doesn't have to be all of one or the other, we've had a pretty bad combination of both.

Get Harvey a proper support structure around him ie like last year and then judge his worth. If he can get us into position for a shot at the flag, then he is up to the job. If he still can't then look at replacing him.

Hopefully, the club will look at fitness / sports science / medical side of things and put improvements in place as well as picking up some suitable assistant coaches to backstop Harvey in areas where he needs help. (selection, management of players, gameday tactics, rapid response to situations)

Get Harvey a proper support structure around him ie like last year and then judge his worth. If he can get us into position for a shot at the flag, then he is up to the job. If he still can't then look at replacing him.

agree with this. our biggest problem all year has been a lack of personnel on the coaching staff.

I've posted on this before. Calls for Harvey to be sacked are premature at this point.

Yes, he did better last year, even with the late season injury issues. I also agree that our tactics this year have been somewhat pedestrian and easy to counter. But no single coach can do everything, including Harvey.

I think there are two areas where we are poorer than last year, coaching team and fitness / sports science team.

Last year we had a very good coaching structure. This year we don't have that same structure and I believe we are the poorer for it. Losing Scott was a big loss and pulling Lloyd away from being a full time development coach to being games assistant is not the answer. My view is let Lloyd go back to where he did a sensational job and get an assistant coach to back Harvey up on gameday tactics and responses. Getting a decent plan "B' might be useful when we've become fairly predictable.

People talk about our injury crisis but lets not forget that both Hill and Mundy had interrupted pre-seasons due to over training. Morabito's injury was the result of fatigue and some bad luck. Other injuries, while probably unlucky, do not seem to have resulted in return times that would be normally associated with the types of injuries seen. They seem to be somewhat extended.

Other clubs seem to have nowhere near the injury problems we've had this year. Now you can put it down to bad luck but unless Freo has suddenly become overrun with black cats, then I'd be thinking that our fitness people aren't as good as they need to be. One of the signs of a poor fitness regime is a higher tendency to get player injuries. Before anyone brings up the obvious point, no I'm not including the 'bad luck' stuff like legs breaks or the weird ligament injuries caused by on field accidents or even stepping on sprinklers. It doesn't have to be all of one or the other, we've had a pretty bad combination of both.

Hopefully, the club will look at fitness / sports science / medical side of things and put improvements in place as well as picking up some suitable assistant coaches to backstop Harvey in areas where he needs help. (selection, management of players, gameday tactics, rapid response to situations)

A very imperial post

Im extremely pissed off with what ive been hearing from Harvey pretty much ever since preseason.
Just been sending the wrong messages an making excuses.
Sends the wrong messages to players they then take it easier say 5% an ofcourse there not going to play their best.
Also been pissed off with the changes to gameplan, I think we have definately gone backwards in this area.
But he did just recently almost completely turnover the list an has had a terrible run with injuries this year so def dont agree with sacking him.
Deserves another year but if i see the same kind of excuses an negative influence on players an the same terrible gameplan I think i will be wanting a change.

Also i really hope the club president etc put off anymore rebranding type stuff.
An concentrate on spending money to find out.
Why we have so many leg injuries.
Why we have gone backwards at basic skills
The amount an types of training we do in preseason compared to other succesful clubs.
An spend as much money as they want on getting some more quality assistants in.

I remember last year we did lots of in close training working on quick handballs in tight.
An throughout 2010 that was a standout with our clean hands an skills in close under pressure getting it out to players in space.

This year we could possibly be the worst in the comp at that.
No clean hands in midfield, cant hit targets/fumbles etc its a mess.

This year has not gone the way that I had hoped but like people have said in a short period of time under Harvey we have turned our list into the most talented and exciting ever. We just need to get a real good assistant coach from one of the other big successful clubs.

I haven't been impressed by Harvey at all this year. Our forward press has been non existent and seem to lack any kind of general gameplan. We have drafted so/too many outside running players but rarely use them, instead just bombing long.

We seem to have the scrawniest players in the comp even compared with gold coast 18 yr olds. Which in turn makes watching our players try and tackle quite painful.

He has been on some idiotic crusade with Palmer this year in either not playing him or playing him out of position (not the only player he has played out of position). during the brief periods throughout the year palmer has been in and under in the middle he has looked good!

Having said all this.. we have had alot of injuries this year so we must give him another year to see what he can do with a hopefully healthy list.

Having been a member for 10 years and going through the dark days, it's a shame to have another season slip away....

I see the sky is falling in again.

sky-is-falling.jpg

I haven't been impressed by Harvey at all this year.

Having been a member for 10 years and going through the dark days, it's a shame to have another season slip away....

I felt like we did not enter the season with the kind of mentality we needed. A very poor pre-season with kooky ideas like playing every tall player we had as a midfielder, and not structuring up a decent forward line. We also began the season with new recruits Anthony and Pitt which now seem strange selections, with Pitt looking a longway off, and Anthony being given all but zero opportunities despite being a one position player and that position being vacant. In all, poor pre-season thinking.

This year has not gone the way that I had hoped but like people have said in a short period of time under Harvey we have turned our list into the most talented and exciting ever. We just need to get a real good assistant coach from one of the other big successful clubs.

we should go all out for one or both of scott watters and nathan bassett

Geez, I think there is a pool of "theatre goers" in our ranks !!!!.

The mob down the road get some ( 3 main ) injuries and they end up with a wooden spoon, we have a raft of injuries and are mid pack !!!. Hard to please some people.

I'll be real critical of Harves when he stuffs when we have our good cattle on the field, but that time is not now.

Some people are oxygen thiefs.

Who is realistically available that is better than Harvey?

None as I can see.

Harvey needes quality assistants and footy department around him. it should be a priority after this season to make that happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back