News TOP SECRET - The Bradshaw File *Merged*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Blues can 'afford' to get Bradshaw

Carlton needs Bradshaw for foward line consistency we have no real proven power fowards so Bradshaw will solve this problem. when he retires we will no longer need him but until then he would be a fail-safe if our younger forwards decided that they would take a week off. :)

Bradshaw himself said before the draft period that he hopes to get two more years out of his body.
Then he turned around and knocked back a two-year deal from Brisbane as he wasn't happy with the length of it.

I'd be offering a more lucrative two-year deal, with an option for a third. If we flat sign him for three years we're complete morons.

Swans have made him a huge offer 3 year deal. i am afraid if Carlton cannot match it he will opt for Sydney.The only way we can get him, is by him preferring to come to Carlton and our offer being similiar to the SWAns. In my view he is more inportant to us bc we have no reconized forward, waite we just dont know how he is going to come back from his injury. Kreuzer is not ready to be CHF consistently, we have to rely on our mids kicking a lot more goals. And failures like fisher and Cloke kicking our goals on a consistent basis.

Thats we should make a big paly to get him. Swans have at least up and coming Jessie white as focal point.

If the Swans have a made a 3-year 'huge' offer then let them have him.

We should not be entering into a bidding war for Bradshaw. In my opinion, let it run it's course (have a feeling he may still end up at Brisbane) and if he is still available on PSD day then we take him on a 2-year deal.

• Banned

A two year deal is all we should offer, and not a "huge" one either, he can either take it or play for the Swans. He is a gun but what's the point if he's always injured and on the wring side of 30.

If the Swans have a made a 3-year 'huge' offer then let them have him.

We should not be entering into a bidding war for Bradshaw. In my opinion, let it run it's course (have a feeling he may still end up at Brisbane) and if he is still available on PSD day then we take him on a 2-year deal.

I think if we have 1 million up our sleeves for 2010 (Fev 600k + Stevens 400k+) then we should spend the money on Bradshaw who can help us over the next 2 years to 1) develop Henderson/others while still ensuring Carlton finals.

I think he only has 2 years but if it takes 3, then get him anyway as we have the unique position of being able to pay him something like 900k in year 1, 300k in year 2, and 300k in year 3. If there cash is sitting idle, use it in a front loaded contract deal. When he is in his 2nd/3rd year of his contract we will only be paying him low rates!

IF it comes down to Carlton or Sydney - Bradshaw will pick the blues. Here's why:
  • The cost of living in Sydney is outrageous, with 4 kids, wife and himself - especially the lifestyle they would live, would chew his funds. Bradshaw is obviously looking at earning some coin so he can live comfortably in his declining years.
  • Bradshaw would have liked seeing our new facilities, being completed by end of the year, this would have attracted him.
  • A younger, more exciting team that is on the way up more so than the Swans who are/will be going through their rebuilding stage.
  • He would take the #1 forward spot on our list and guaranteed a game if fit - Sydney, in my opinion, would have White as their #1 forward as they would want to work/build their forward line around him.
This is purely IMHO. Would be interested to see what the rest of you think.

EDIT - Not as far to travel to see his family, otherwise, he'll be flying 6 people to visit both sides of the family.

You're all forgetting that Bradshaw no longer has a choice. He's in the PSD. He can only set the terms of his contract, and clubs take turns to accept/reject them. Our turn comes after Sydney's.

If we shovel a ton of cash at him to price him out of Sydney's reach, we'll snooker ourselves out of a possible big fish next year. Also, we can well use the enormous room in 2010's salary cap to front-load several contracts and take future pressure off our cap for when The Schoolies and The Jihad enter the competition.

I'd like Bradshaw as a stop-gap for two years, but if this is a bidding war then we're out of it.

You're all forgetting that Bradshaw no longer has a choice. He's in the PSD. He can only set the terms of his contract, and clubs take turns to accept/reject them. Our turn comes after Sydney's.

If we shovel a ton of cash at him to price him out of Sydney's reach, we'll snooker ourselves out of a possible big fish next year. Also, we can well use the enormous room in 2010's salary cap to front-load several contracts and take future pressure off our cap for when The Schoolies and The Jihad enter the competition.

I'd like Bradshaw as a stop-gap for two years, but if this is a bidding war then we're out of it.

Bradshaw has enough runs on the board and earnt enough respect to choose what club he wants to go to.
If he opts for carlton then sydney wont take him, nor would any other club i would imagine.

Bradshaw has enough runs on the board and earnt enough respect to choose what club he wants to go to.
If he opts for carlton then sydney wont take him, nor would any other club i would imagine.
FFS, how many times does it have to be spelt out?

That's not how the pre-season draft works.

He can't decide which club he goes to - each club takes turns to decide whether they want to meet his terms and if they do, he goes there. In practice, Sydney has first option.

The order is: Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't have to in the PSD AlecDuncan. National Draft would open the market up a lot more.
True, but that makes it even less likely he'll end up at Carlton. The ND effectively gives Bradshaw even less control of where he goes.

He can't decide which club he goes to - each club takes turns to decide whether they want to meet his terms and if they do, he goes there. In practice, Sydney has first option.

The order is: Melbourne, Richmond, Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney, West Coast, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton.

Techincally your right but in recent years the Pre season draft has become somewhat of a 'free agency' and I'm sure if the player agreed to terms with a particular club and publicly stated his desire to join that club you'll find other interested clubs will generally accept this.

If Bradshaw agreed to terms with Carlton and came out publicly stating his wish to join Carlton and be closer to home, I'm sure Sydney would overlook him in the draft.

....and I expect this is what will happen.

That may be the mechanics of it AD, but I think there may be some truth in what Macbeth says with respect to the subtleties of it. If Bradshaw states his preferred club is us, and he only wants to live in Melbourne, with his standing and reputation in the game I don't see Sydney calling out his name if he doesn't want to go there.

Strenghtening your list is fine, but burning your bridges/reputation with player/other AFL club given Bradshaw's age and relative worth I imagine isn't worth it to a Sydney

Techincally your right but in recent years the Pre season draft has become somewhat of a 'free agency' and I'm sure if the player agreed to terms with a particular club and publicly stated his desire to join that club you'll find other interested clubs will generally accept this.
Don't mistake the AFL's interest in seeing trades be completed for it deciding the PSD is "free agency". It isn't. The AFL has made the rules clear, everyone knows what they are and Sydney won't be giving us a free pass.
If Bradshaw agreed to terms with Carlton and came out publicly stating his wish to join Carlton and be closer to home, I'm sure Sydney would overlook him in the draft.
If Sydney want him, I'm sure they wouldn't.

Then he turned around and knocked back a two-year deal from Brisbane as he wasn't happy with the length of it.
He was offered 1 year with a second depending on how many games he played.......and given that they just recruited his replacement and made it quite clear he was out the door, maybe he felt he wouldn't necessarily be given the opportunity to get that extension, despite having played 19 plus games per season most of his career.

Loyalty would mean a lot to Bradshaw. He got NONE from Voss, and for a bloke with 4 kids to have that level of uncertainty hanging over his future.........I'd chase a massive 2-3 year deal too. :thumbsu:

If we only get 2 years out of him and pay out the third it will probably have been worth it. By then Henderson will have had 4 years in the system, same as Kreuzer, Austin 5 years........and however we get with pick 12 (presuming a KPP) will have 2 years under their belt.......we will have been well served by him and we will be looking to our "premiership" players anyway.......which Bradshaw is not.

Pay for three to get two.......I'd do that.

It's looming as a painfully drawn out PSD (and where Bradshaw will end up).... after trade period, I'm not sure my nerves can take any more suspense:eek:

I'm with the others on this one Alec, If Bradshaw categorically states that he wants to play for the blues, Then i doubt any other team will get in the way. I'm sure they will try but as soon as they know his intentions then i beleive they wont bother. It's not like the Swans Premiership window is opening and they will move heaven and earth to get him. There's nothing from stopping him saying I will only continue if i get picked up by Carlton otherwise i am retiring ala Gerig with the Saints.

That may be the mechanics of it AD, but I think there may be some truth in what Macbeth says with respect to the subtleties of it. If Bradshaw states his preferred club is us, and he only wants to live in Melbourne, with his standing and reputation in the game I don't see Sydney calling out his name if he doesn't want to go there.

Strenghtening your list is fine, but burning your bridges/reputation with player/other AFL club given Bradshaw's age and relative worth I imagine isn't worth it to a Sydney
Spot on.Swans dont do business like that.If he wants to be at Carlton and states it Swans will back out and leave him and his family where they want to be.

There's nothing from stopping him saying I will only continue if i get picked up by Carlton otherwise i am retiring ala Gerig with the Saints.

I'm pretty sure there is. Not sure exactly what the rule is but something to do with draft tampering. I don't think a player can come out and state 'i will only play for team x, if you draft me i will retire'.

Spot on.Swans dont do business like that.If he wants to be at Carlton and states it Swans will back out and leave him and his family where they want to be.

And credit to Roos and Syd if this is what transpires, and would hope we'd do the same if roles were reversed.

IF it comes down to Carlton or Sydney - Bradshaw will pick the blues. Here's why:
  • The cost of living in Sydney is outrageous, with 4 kids, wife and himself - especially the lifestyle they would live, would chew his funds. Bradshaw is obviously looking at earning some coin so he can live comfortably in his declining years.
  • Bradshaw would have liked seeing our new facilities, being completed by end of the year, this would have attracted him.
  • A younger, more exciting team that is on the way up more so than the Swans who are/will be going through their rebuilding stage.
  • He would take the #1 forward spot on our list and guaranteed a game if fit - Sydney, in my opinion, would have White as their #1 forward as they would want to work/build their forward line around him.
This is purely IMHO. Would be interested to see what the rest of you think.

EDIT - Not as far to travel to see his family, otherwise, he'll be flying 6 people to visit both sides of the family.

Agree with all of that also

To play with his mate Henderson
To play finals (not that Sydney won;t but I say we;re a better chance to)
And to have delivery from Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, McLean

Sydney seem to be talking it up a bit, we;re just hovering nicely in the background, IMHO we;re a massive chance to get Bradshaw..

I'm pretty sure there is. Not sure exactly what the rule is but something to do with draft tampering. I don't think a player can come out and state 'i will only play for team x, if you draft me i will retire'.

That may be the case, however i heard or read Gerigh say it on TV or the papers when he came back.He said something along th elines of i only will play if its with the saints. Nothing happened to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back